The Student Room Group

QTS

Is a QTS the best option to do primary education? I really want to get into primary teaching and I don’t know if a QTS is a better option compared to a degree and pcge?
Original post by NadirahRahman
Is a QTS the best option to do primary education? I really want to get into primary teaching and I don’t know if a QTS is a better option compared to a degree and pcge?

All QTS means is Qualified Teacher Status.
You can do a Primary Education Degree and be awarded QTS (though some come without so make sure to check the course before you apply). Or you can go a PGCE (or equivalent) which will also give you QTS.

Either way, becoming is teacher is gaining Qualified Teacher Status. :wink:

Does this answer your question?:smile:
Original post by NadirahRahman

Are you talking about an undergrad degree that awards QTS vs doing a degree and a PGCE?

I think both have pros and cons.

An undergrad degree will only take three years, your placements are more spread out and it seems a bit less intense! You'll come out with less student debt, too. I'm pretty sure these degrees don't have such a high drop out rate compared to PGCEs as well. If you're 100% sure you want to teach, then this is the most direct route to teaching from school, and you'll probably enjoy it more than doing an undergrad degree in a subject you're not 100% sure about first.

Doing an undergrad degree + PGCE does probably give you more options if you think you might not want to be a teacher for ever. Personally, if you're still at school, this is something to consider, as most people now don't stay in one career all their lives. The PGCE tends to be quite valued if you want to teach abroad, and it also gives you masters credits if you think a masters in education might be for you later on. There's also additional funding available for some courses. Although it's really intense, it might give you a more realistic idea as to what teaching is really like.

Why not visit some unis and talk through all your options?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending