The Student Room Group

Taking a southerner up t'north- Barror1's first year GYG!

Hey everyone! :hi:
Welcome to my Grow Your Grades for the first year of university :biggrin:
For anyone who doesn't know me, I'm Barror! I am a first-year student at the University of York (Vanbrugh College) studying a combined degree in English Literature and Linguistics.
Though I did not get the A-level grades I wanted, university is a completely new environment and I hope to improve on myself in ways you really can't without moving away from home and becoming independent. I hope that you will join me while I cultivate my skills and maybe bring back the passion that a third year of Sixth Form totally crushed :laugh:

For now though, I hope you enjoy some juicy information!
A-levels:

Spoiler

My Daily Commute :wink:

Spoiler

First-year Literature units:

Spoiler

First-year Linguistics units:

Spoiler

Societies/Clubs:

Spoiler

Everything else!:
I won't put this bit in a spoiler because there is a lot here that people may like to know!
- Since the first year of university is a pass/fail affair, I will be using it to get as many training, work, and intern positions as I can without risking my degree classification. It just seems like a really good opportunity!
- I have absolutely no idea what I want to do after uni :giggle: I will be doing a bunch of academic stuff while involving myself in musical theatre in case I want to do acting as a career! That being said, I have my heart set on doing a masters at another university if that is what I am so inclined to do by the time I reach my third year.
-There are a few new features I will be playing around with for the blog this year, so keep an eye out!
- The wonderful CoffeeAndPolitics will be a fellow first year at Vanbrugh with me, so expect us to mention each other on our blogs a lot!
-If you want a tag, just comment below and I will add you to the list here in the OP :woo:
Tags:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just popping in here to wish you the very best of luck in your studies. :ahee: Yeah, we'll be mentioning each other a lot over on our GYG blogs and I can't wait to see you again in person. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by barror1

Musical Theatre- They are doing Chicago for the February production. You're damn right that I'm auditioning!

:gah: :gah: :gah:

Excited for you! :biggrin:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Just popping in here to wish you the very best of luck in your studies. :ahee: Yeah, we'll be mentioning each other a lot over on our GYG blogs and I can't wait to see you again in person. :biggrin:

It will be great to see you again! Very excited for the Viking Raid (I will do a freshers update soon with all of this in soon :tongue:)
Less than a month until move-in day :woo:
Original post by 8472
:gah: :gah: :gah:

Excited for you! :biggrin:

Very excited to belt the Cell Block Tango. I don't even care if I sing in it :laugh:
Reply 5
Original post by barror1
It will be great to see you again! Very excited for the Viking Raid (I will do a freshers update soon with all of this in soon :tongue:)
Less than a month until move-in day :woo:

:biggrin: The Viking Raid will be absolutely amazing and I can't wait to try on the viking helmet you kindly got for me (I'll obviously include this in the Freshers update soon). Last than 4 weeks before move-in and I still have some stuff to buy and I need to get packing soon. :tongue:
:biggrin: The Viking Raid will be absolutely amazing and I can't wait to try on the viking helmet you kindly got for me (I'll obviously include this in the Freshers update soon). Last than 4 weeks before move-in and I still have some stuff to buy and I need to get packing soon. :tongue:

Oh I have like no cutlery or plates! I'll probably do an update surrounding my IKEA haul but I am going to be as minimalist as possible for move in! Can only fit so much into a tiny car :eek:
Hello :smile: good luck
Reply 8
Original post by barror1
Oh I have like no cutlery or plates! I'll probably do an update surrounding my IKEA haul but I am going to be as minimalist as possible for move in! Can only fit so much into a tiny car :eek:

Yh I currently have no cutlery or crockery, i.e. plates etc. and I'm planning to do a mini IKEA haul (nothing ridiculously silly that some studytubers later come to regret when going into their 2nd year ... oh I bought so much **** :tongue:). I also want to be as minimalist as possible as I only intend to take two medium/large suitcases with me on the train with my parents. Just need to find a way to pack the crockery if I'm to buy those before I get to York and without damaging them! :eek:
Original post by Obolinda
Hello :smile: good luck

Tysm! :jumphug:
I hope that GCSEs treat you well! Do you want me to tag you?
Original post by barror1
Tysm! :jumphug:
I hope that GCSEs treat you well! Do you want me to tag you?

:yep:
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)Yh I currently have no cutlery or crockery, i.e. plates etc. and I'm planning to do a mini IKEA haul (nothing ridiculously silly that some studytubers later come to regret when going into their 2nd year ... oh I bought so much **** :tongue:). I also want to be as minimalist as possible as I only intend to take two medium/large suitcases with me on the train with my parents. Just need to find a way to pack the crockery if I'm to buy those before I get to York and without damaging them! :eek:

My parents have made me a little basket with a few useful kitchen bits in, but yeah I am planning to just buy some plates, bowls and cutlery and then see what everyone else brings for cooking! I'll probably pick some more bits up on my first big shop with the folks. My biggest fear is overpacking, so I am planning to keep a shelf free in my room for all the stuff I will pick up at uni.
Hopefully it will all work out!
Reply 13
Put me in the tag list, gimme the notifications!
Original post by Sinnoh
Put me in the tag list, gimme the notifications!

Sorteddddd :pika:
Reply 15
Original post by barror1
My parents have made me a little basket with a few useful kitchen bits in, but yeah I am planning to just buy some plates, bowls and cutlery and then see what everyone else brings for cooking! I'll probably pick some more bits up on my first big shop with the folks. My biggest fear is overpacking, so I am planning to keep a shelf free in my room for all the stuff I will pick up at uni.
Hopefully it will all work out!

The quote thing broke so I didn't get tagged. I got the bedding stuff already, just need to bring it from home and buy the other stuff I'll need including some plates, bowls and cutlery (they sell packs of 16 for some reason :mad:). Yeah I want to avoid overpacking as that would be a nightmare. I also want to get an iPad Air with the Apple Pencil but we'll see what happens lol. Things should work out fine. :smile:
The quote thing broke so I didn't get tagged. I got the bedding stuff already, just need to bring it from home and buy the other stuff I'll need including some plates, bowls and cutlery (they sell packs of 16 for some reason :mad:). Yeah I want to avoid overpacking as that would be a nightmare. I also want to get an iPad Air with the Apple Pencil but we'll see what happens lol. Things should work out fine. :smile:

PRSOM! Now if you don't mind me, I am going to do some course reading! :work:
:excited: yayay barror! :hugs:
Original post by laurawatt
:excited: yayay barror! :hugs:

It's good to be back! Are you running a GYG this year? I would love to be tagged in it if you are! :hugs:
Best of luck :rave:

:tongue: may I be tagged in this journey:colondollar: ?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending