The Student Room Group

A level choice

I’m stuck with deciding between English literature and media studies, any advice on either subject?
English Literature is very well respected by all universities, Media studies isn’t. However it really just depends on your career path, what university you wish to attend, and what you enjoy. If you enjoy Media Studies more, do it, and the same goes for English. But if you like them equally, chose English - IMO.
I studied English Literature and absolutely loved it (doing it at uni in September). Honestly though, do what you enjoy as you'll do better in it. It is true that Literature is probably more respected by uni's and has a wider range of possible future careers. e.g. English at uni has offered me theatre studies, film studies.etc so you could do a media studies related career if you did Literature. I dont know if it works vice versa so I would go for Literature :smile: hope that helps
Reply 3
Media studies wasn’t available for gcse so I haven’t done it before
Original post by thht24
Media studies wasn’t available for gcse so I haven’t done it before

I did it at GCSE in 2018. Loved the creative aspect but hated the coursework lol. If there’s anything you want to know about it, ask away.
Reply 5
So my dilemma is, do I choose media studies or English literature for A level. First of all I have never done media studies before where as for English I already know what’s ahead
Reply 6
Is the learning bit (theory) of media studies hard
Original post by thht24
Is the learning bit (theory) of media studies hard

No it’s very easy. You just pick it up in lesson and there’s no real need to memorise it
Reply 8
Is the photoshop hard to pick up on
Original post by thht24
Is the photoshop hard to pick up on

not at all. you have a very long time to come to grips with it
Reply 10
Thank you, how hard is English? How much of a step up is it from gcse?
If a subject has "studies" in the name, then its probably not a very well respected a level.
Reply 12
I have to decide by Monday as well
Original post by thht24
Thank you, how hard is English? How much of a step up is it from gcse?

Personally, I’ve not felt any jump. But I think that’s because I’ve always been a straight A student in English and have always found it easy. It just depends on how hard you try in lesson as that’s where your writing ability will develop. The poems are definitely harder to grasp but it really comes down to whether you have a natural flare for the subject or not.
Reply 14
Thank you, I’m just scared I’d make the wrong decision but at the end of the day media studies is probably what I’d be better at (more able to cope with the course), however I want to enjoy my a levels and I did enjoy English at gcse however I was an A/B student, never really A* but I did very well in the coursework
Original post by thht24
Thank you, I’m just scared I’d make the wrong decision but at the end of the day media studies is probably what I’d be better at (more able to cope with the course), however I want to enjoy my a levels and I did enjoy English at gcse however I was an A/B student, never really A* but I did very well in the coursework

I mean I got an 8 in GCSE English and started Year 12 getting Cs, then Bs and then I got an A in my AS. My friend got a 7 at GCSE and she ended up being 1 mark off an A in her AS, and then my other friend got a 6 and she ended up with a C. So it varies. You need a natural ability however being an A/B student won’t stop you from getting an A/A*. You just need to work hard. My friend did and even though she was one grade below me at GCSE, for the whole year we were getting the same (and then in the AS exam she was only 1 mark off a A like I said). English is a course of progression, and if you enjoy it you will do well. Media studies is a lot less respected however if your career path doesn’t require either, then take whatever you enjoy the most.
Reply 16
Thanks so much for the advice👍🏻

Quick Reply

Latest