The Student Room Group

The Official Dissertation Thread 2019-2020

Here we go folks. :awesome:

It's coming to the time of year where a lot of students are starting to think about their dissertations.:afraid:

Take some advice from Dory!

This thread is intended to act as a central place for people to get advice from others that are going, or have been, through the same experience.

So, with that in mind, why not introduce yourself?

Name:
Course:
University:
Dissertation topic area:
How far through the process are you?

Share as much or as little information as you're comfortable with. :smile:

:fyi: any links to surveys should go to the student surveys and research forum. Please read through the forum guidelines before you post a thread. :wink:

Helpful Advice
If you have anything to add here, give me a tag below and let me know. :smile:

Happy discussion and good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh great, you didn’t have to remind me :rolleyes:
Original post by RichPiana
Oh great, you didn’t have to remind me :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. :hide: I too am very not looking forward to it. :frown:
Original post by 04MR17
I'm sorry. :hide: I too am very not looking forward to it. :frown:

I can just imagine leaving a whole dissertation to the last minute
Had a flash of inspiration today. Possible area of interest:

How can creativity be used for political education in UK schools?
Reply 5
I've just given in my dissertation but i'm so desperate for a 2:1 and i have no idea how it actually went it's torture

when are your due dates? you got exams too?
Original post by 04MR17
Had a flash of inspiration today. Possible area of interest:

How can creativity be used for political education in UK schools?

I wish I could've chosen my dissertation topic :rolleyes:
:bump:

Been doing some reading on mine today.

Anyone else working ahead of final year? :smile:
Currently going through the 44 page module handbook now. :redface:

Working out which pages I'll be wanting to print. I might keep a record here actually. :cyber:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Can't get access to our module on Blackboard until 1st September. :frown:

I know what topic I want to my dissertation in, just can't phrase it into a nice hypothesis/question. Have started doing some background reading and making some notes which I'm hoping will give me some inspiration about how to phrase my question. Have also asked my supervisor for advice.

Do you guys have a timetable/deadlines to help plan your work? I'm also working full-time so am conscious of using the spare time that I have, but at the same time I can't really force myself to get started until we get access to our online module on the 1st..
Original post by Angury
Can't get access to our module on Blackboard until 1st September. :frown:

I know what topic I want to my dissertation in, just can't phrase it into a nice hypothesis/question. Have started doing some background reading and making some notes which I'm hoping will give me some inspiration about how to phrase my question. Have also asked my supervisor for advice.

Do you guys have a timetable/deadlines to help plan your work? I'm also working full-time so am conscious of using the spare time that I have, but at the same time I can't really force myself to get started until we get access to our online module on the 1st..

Not got blackboard access yet either, though they emailed us the module handbook at the end of last year, and that contains some deadlines for planning which is quite nice.

What subject are you studying? :smile:

FULL TIME :zomg: You are honestly mad. :hide:
Do you need a bit of motivation from TSR? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by 04MR17
Not got blackboard access yet either, though they emailed us the module handbook at the end of last year, and that contains some deadlines for planning which is quite nice.

What subject are you studying? :smile:

FULL TIME :zomg: You are honestly mad. :hide:
Do you need a bit of motivation from TSR? :smile:

Haha, I think knowing other people are in the same boat is helpful. What have you done so far?

I’m doing a LLM in Mental Health Law. I do find the subject really interesting and my dissertation is exploring a topic I find fascinating (Human Rights) so I shouldn’t complain!
Original post by Angury
Haha, I think knowing other people are in the same boat is helpful. What have you done so far?

I’m doing a LLM in Mental Health Law. I do find the subject really interesting and my dissertation is exploring a topic I find fascinating (Human Rights) so I shouldn’t complain!
So far I've just been doing some reading/planning and talking to my expected supervisor to discuss methods and steps going forward. I feel like I really need to pick up the pace though. :redface:

That subject sounds so cool!:gah:
I've just started doing readings and general planning for what my dissertation will be about. I'm likely to do something like:

"A Marxist political ecology approach to examine the drivers and consequences of the Anthropocene"
Original post by LaughterIsMyDrug
I've just started doing readings and general planning for what my dissertation will be about. I'm likely to do something like:

"A Marxist political ecology approach to examine the drivers and consequences of the Anthropocene"

Woah that sounds really big! :eek:

Something I'm quite interested in though. :smile: Have you talked to any potential supervisors?
Original post by 04MR17
Woah that sounds really big! :eek:

Something I'm quite interested in though. :smile: Have you talked to any potential supervisors?

Yeah, I think I need to streamline it a bit more and find something more specific to focus on. I mentioned Marxist political ecology has a potential theme to my tutor, but am yet to see my academic advisor for my second year.
Currently reading Augusto Boal's Theater of the Oppressed. I'm surprised by how much Greek philosophy he's brought into this. I didn't expect to be analysing Aristotle's theories for my dissertation. :bricks:
Had a meeting with superviser yesterday. Felt positive though looks like I'll have to do some interviews. :s-smilie:

Project proposal form now submitted. :dumbells:
I'm dreading this essay and I don't even start until one year from now 🥴

Latest

Trending

Trending