The Student Room Group

Urgent (for ppl who did gcse history and who has experienced the new grading system)

What is the format in a gcse history exam paper? Do you have to memorise essays? Is it difficult difficult?

I don`t want to failll WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Scroll to see replies

Which exam board?
History isn't difficult at all. I managed to get 9's in my mocks, but got an 8 in the real exam, 3 marks away from a 9. History is basically memorizing the textbook & then regurgitating it in the way the exam works. For instance, in 5 mark questions you need 3 contextual facts and then explain them for full marks. For the essays you just need to know all of them & regurgitate it in the exam
Original post by rockyball89
History isn't difficult at all. I managed to get 9's in my mocks, but got an 8 in the real exam, 3 marks away from a 9. History is basically memorizing the textbook & then regurgitating it in the way the exam works. For instance, in 5 mark questions you need 3 contextual facts and then explain them for full marks. For the essays you just need to know all of them & regurgitate it in the exam

What does regurgitate mean?
Original post by bleh_bleh
Which exam board?

Aqa
Original post by vsco.gurl

You memorize the textbook and spit it all out in the exam e.g. if they ask you describe the wall street crash

you'll say it started in 1929 etc..
Reply 6
I got a 9 and it was surprising easy af. You don’t need to memorize essays, all you needn’t to do is remember dates/ important facts and you should also perfect the way tourney structure your answers, that’s the most important thing. DO practice questions and get teachers to I mark them. I started history revision 2 months before the exams ( working at a grade 3) then boosted my grade to a high grade 9
Aqa

Okay, I did Edexcel so I don’t know the different types of questions in the AQA papers but just memorise key facts from each event. Also make sure to get your question technique on point and structure your answers coherently. Ask your teacher for a model answer. Then practise doing questions under timed conditions
Reply 8
What is the format in a gcse history exam paper? Do you have to memorise essays? Is it difficult difficult?

I don`t want to failll WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I did Edexcel GCSE History (so I can't give you exact details for the exam structure), but I achieved a 9 and 7 marks off 100% (I got my GCSE results back on the 22nd), in Edexcel by just reading the textbooks over and over again, learning facts, names and events completely until I could pretty much recall everything 100% perfectly down to the smallest details. I actually didn't do that much practice essay questions, but when I did I really went for it (I practiced the big ones), and just wrote as much as I could. I also practiced source analysis (although I don't know how much of that there is in AQA). Good luck!
Reply 9
For AQA history it’s a lot of memorising key facts and words but at least to my school the structure was a very important part. We got told that without the perfect structure your information is regarded as useless- and some of the markers may not award marks if they don’t like the way you’ve structured it. Saying this once you’ve got the structure down to a T it’s fairly simple, I got 8/9s in my mocks but a 7 in the real exam (this was most likely only due to to a mental breakdown though so the exams still alright). Yeah so pretty much focus on Structure and do as many practice questions as possible and revise even the smallest of topics l. Good luck though, sure you’re gonna smash it.
Original post by rockyball89

Tysm for your tips and advice 💕💕
Original post by m_j_
I got a 9 and it was surprising easy af. You don’t need to memorize essays, all you needn’t to do is remember dates/ important facts and you should also perfect the way tourney structure your answers, that’s the most important thing. DO practice questions and get teachers to I mark them. I started history revision 2 months before the exams ( working at a grade 3) then boosted my grade to a high grade 9

Ty for motivating me since it’s possible to get a grade 9 from a grade 3!!💕💕
Original post by bleh_bleh
Okay, I did Edexcel so I don’t know the different types of questions in the AQA papers but just memorise key facts from each event. Also make sure to get your question technique on point and structure your answers coherently. Ask your teacher for a model answer. Then practise doing questions under timed conditions

Thx for the advice💕💕
Original post by Zoqua
I did Edexcel GCSE History (so I can't give you exact details for the exam structure), but I achieved a 9 and 7 marks off 100% (I got my GCSE results back on the 22nd), in Edexcel by just reading the textbooks over and over again, learning facts, names and events completely until I could pretty much recall everything 100% perfectly down to the smallest details. I actually didn't do that much practice essay questions, but when I did I really went for it (I practiced the big ones), and just wrote as much as I could. I also practiced source analysis (although I don't know how much of that there is in AQA). Good luck!

Thank youuu 💕💕
Original post by Grace SF
For AQA history it’s a lot of memorising key facts and words but at least to my school the structure was a very important part. We got told that without the perfect structure your information is regarded as useless- and some of the markers may not award marks if they don’t like the way you’ve structured it. Saying this once you’ve got the structure down to a T it’s fairly simple, I got 8/9s in my mocks but a 7 in the real exam (this was most likely only due to to a mental breakdown though so the exams still alright). Yeah so pretty much focus on Structure and do as many practice questions as possible and revise even the smallest of topics l. Good luck though, sure you’re gonna smash it.

Thank you soo muchhhhhhhh 💕💕
Thx for the advice💕💕

No problem!!
Reply 16
Thank youuu 💕💕

No problem :smile:.
Reply 17
Ty for motivating me since it’s possible to get a grade 9 from a grade 3!!💕💕

Of course, people make it out to be so hard but it’s actually pretty basic. I barely passed any history exams in year 10, yet I have a 9. It’s the same with most gcses, I started science revision in March (working at 4s before that) and I ended up with grades 9,9 and 8 in chem, physics and bio (respectively). Trust me, gcses are light work. Other than English, bang out English from early, Thad my biggest mistake
Original post by m_j_
Of course, people make it out to be so hard but it’s actually pretty basic. I barely passed any history exams in year 10, yet I have a 9. It’s the same with most gcses, I started science revision in March (working at 4s before that) and I ended up with grades 9,9 and 8 in chem, physics and bio (respectively). Trust me, gcses are light work. Other than English, bang out English from early, Thad my biggest mistake

😂😂😂nah your just naturally smart I am guessing.It’s just me having a set 8 mindset 💀💀
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
😂😂😂nah your just naturally smart I am guessing.It’s just me having a set 8 mindset 💀💀

I just realized my advise is dumb, start revising from September 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest