The Student Room Group

Computer Science utilities

Hellooo,
I'm enrolled for a degree course in computer science at the university of Kent (first year) and I don't really know which laptop brand I should buy. Can someone please help me?
Reply 1
You will be pretty much fine with any laptop with a modern CPU and 8GB of RAM.

Have you got a budget?
Original post by iBearHQ
You will be pretty much fine with any laptop with a modern CPU and 8GB of RAM.

Have you got a budget?

Alrighty noted. Hmm my concern is not really about the budget but more like "what if I buy this and encounter issues with it" concern. There are so many choices but on the net I read that Lenovo and MacBook are pretty good. But then the MacBook is not really compatible with everything so I'm currently questioning it whether it's worthwhile or nope
Reply 3
Original post by struggleisreal
Alrighty noted. Hmm my concern is not really about the budget but more like "what if I buy this and encounter issues with it" concern. There are so many choices but on the net I read that Lenovo and MacBook are pretty good. But then the MacBook is not really compatible with everything so I'm currently questioning it whether it's worthwhile or nope

Lots of developers prefer using MacBooks due to the software being superior to that of Windows. Personally, I would recommend getting a MacBook Pro if you are doing software development. And what is Macs not compatible with (other than games)?
Reply 4

You can run both Windows and Linux on a MacBook so what's it not compatible with? Although MacBooks generally cost more the plus side is that they depreciate a lot less than Windows laptops and the OS can always be updated free.

The only thing I would say is if you've never used a Mac before it does take a little getting used to.
Hellooo,
I'm enrolled for a degree course in computer science at the university of Kent (first year) and I don't really know which laptop brand I should buy. Can someone please help me?

Hey,
First of all, congratulations on getting into Kent to study Computer Science! :biggrin: I have no doubt that you'll have a brilliant time there.

To answer your question,I have a few friends on the same course and mostly see them with either Lenovo's or MacBooks. I guess both works, but depends on how much you're willing to fork out for a laptop! I personally am using a MacBook Pro myself and it's still going strong after 4 years at uni. The only thing is I would defo go for a higher storage capacity.. my 121GB went quick. Don't think my friends ran into any issues with the software but most of the time they are usually in the computer lab/library to complete their assignments anyway. The software is already downloaded for you if you are unable to download it for whatever reason on your laptop. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Student Rep Phil
Hey,
First of all, congratulations on getting into Kent to study Computer Science! :biggrin: I have no doubt that you'll have a brilliant time there.

To answer your question,I have a few friends on the same course and mostly see them with either Lenovo's or MacBooks. I guess both works, but depends on how much you're willing to fork out for a laptop! I personally am using a MacBook Pro myself and it's still going strong after 4 years at uni. The only thing is I would defo go for a higher storage capacity.. my 121GB went quick. Don't think my friends ran into any issues with the software but most of the time they are usually in the computer lab/library to complete their assignments anyway. The software is already downloaded for you if you are unable to download it for whatever reason on your laptop. :smile:

Adding onto this, if you can afford it I'd also upgrade the RAM to 16GB. Often times when I'm programming I'll have 10/15 chrome tabs open (multiple tabs of Stack Overflow + Chrome loving RAM = bad), an IDE, Spotify etc and it can sometimes reach 8/8GB.
Original post by iBearHQ
Lots of developers prefer using MacBooks due to the software being superior to that of Windows. Personally, I would recommend getting a MacBook Pro if you are doing software development. And what is Macs not compatible with (other than games)?

Alrighty noted. Tbh I don't know with what it's not compatible as I read this comment online xD Thank yooou ^^
Original post by nutz99
You can run both Windows and Linux on a MacBook so what's it not compatible with? Although MacBooks generally cost more the plus side is that they depreciate a lot less than Windows laptops and the OS can always be updated free.

The only thing I would say is if you've never used a Mac before it does take a little getting used to.

Thank you for your help! Hmm actually I read comments online about the MacBook which is why I had doubts but now it feels clearer, thanks ^^
Original post by Student Rep Phil
Hey,

Hello, thank you! These information really help. Hmm do you perhaps know if there are discounts for students for the MacBook Pro? Either discounts for students in general (like just being a student) or Kent Uni students.
Original post by iBearHQ
Adding onto this, if you can afford it I'd also upgrade the RAM to 16GB. Often times when I'm programming I'll have 10/15 chrome tabs open (multiple tabs of Stack Overflow + Chrome loving RAM = bad), an IDE, Spotify etc and it can sometimes reach 8/8GB.

Okay I'll save this information, thank you!
MacBook Pro, with lots of storage
Reply 12
Hello, thank you! These information really help. Hmm do you perhaps know if there are discounts for students for the MacBook Pro? Either discounts for students in general (like just being a student) or Kent Uni students.

For general apple discounts for students sign up for Unidays using your uni email address. Generally the discount is somewhere between 10 and 20%. There will also be refurbished MacBooks on the apple store which will have a 12 month warranty and be as good as new. It may be cheaper to buy one of these rather than have a new discounted MacBook.
Original post by nutz99
For general apple discounts for students sign up for Unidays using your uni email address. Generally the discount is somewhere between 10 and 20%. There will also be refurbished MacBooks on the apple store which will have a 12 month warranty and be as good das new. It may be cheaper to buy one of these rather than have a new discounted MacBook.

Thank you! Do you know what's the current price of a MacBook Pro 2019 with 256GB right now in the UK? I'm finding difficulty to find it online. Actually, I'm looking for the UniDays discount as well but I can't even find the price in the first place
Reply 14
Thank you! Do you know what's the current price of a MacBook Pro 2019 with 256GB right now in the UK? I'm finding difficulty to find it online. Actually, I'm looking for the UniDays discount as well but I can't even find the price in the first place

A 13 inch model is £1499 before any discount. The refurbished model is £1189 but no further discount on that.

You should just be able to go to the Unidays website, click on the Apple store link and it will take you straight to the education section of the Apple store with the prices already discounted for you.

Quick Reply

Latest