The Student Room Group

A Level Help! (Maths, FMaths and Physics) (URGENT)

Is Maths, Further Maths and Physics a good combination at A Levels for a degree and then job in computer science (or even an engineering field). i ask this because i am not sure if Further Maths is regarded as different to Maths by Unis. Help!
Yeah, some unis prefer you to have further maths and physics for top courses. Further maths and maths count as two separate A levels as well. You might want to take a fourth A level like chemistry or computing as well in case you struggle and decide to drop further maths.
Reply 2
Original post by Mern
Is Maths, Further Maths and Physics a good combination at A Levels for a degree and then job in computer science (or even an engineering field). i ask this because i am not sure if Further Maths is regarded as different to Maths by Unis. Help!

Don't worry, maths and further maths count as two subjects and the combination is very good for engineering. To tailor it more to computer science, make sure you mention a tonne of extra-curricular computing/coding related activities in the personal statement.
Original post by aarowhead684
Yeah, some unis prefer you to have further maths and physics for top courses. Further maths and maths count as two separate A levels as well. You might want to take a fourth A level like chemistry or computing as well in case you struggle and decide to drop further maths.

I agree, taking a 4th A-level is a good idea if you're taking further maths, especially with physics because that's also maths-heavy A-level. My college only offered further maths if it was a 4th because it's a difficult A-level, but worth it to get into top unis
Reply 4
Original post by sophie_1.
I agree, taking a 4th A-level is a good idea if you're taking further maths, especially with physics because that's also maths-heavy A-level. My college only offered further maths if it was a 4th because it's a difficult A-level, but worth it to get into top unis

but what if the work load of 4 subjects is too much? Because my thinking is I rather do 3 Subjects to the best of my abilities and get as good grades as possible while perhaps doing 4 might hinder those grades by being too large of a workload for me, personally. Im not too sure tho
Depends on whether or not you enjoy maths, I’m doing further maths at a level because I found it easy at GCSE and enjoyed As maths in year 11. For me maths is great so the extra work doesn’t scare me but it may be different if you dont like maths as much.
Reply 6
Depends on whether or not you enjoy maths, I’m doing further maths at a level because I found it easy at GCSE and enjoyed As maths in year 11. For me maths is great so the extra work doesn’t scare me but it may be different if you dont like maths as much.

I enjoy it but i also find it difficult. Maybe its the challenge that excites me! who knows. But i have another question. How does the Maths and Further maths subjects work at A level? Like how do the scheduling work because ive heard some school do maths the first year and further maths the next year. (So how would that work with only 3 subjects --->Maths,Fmaths,Physics)
I’m not sure about your school but my school just adds extra maths lessons to your timetable and does maths in year 1 and Fmaths in year 2. Tho some colleges treat them as two different subjects and timetable them separately.
You might have double the number of maths lessons or you might just have an extra 3 or 4 depending on the pace of teaching as well.
Reply 9
Original post by Mern
but what if the work load of 4 subjects is too much? Because my thinking is I rather do 3 Subjects to the best of my abilities and get as good grades as possible while perhaps doing 4 might hinder those grades by being too large of a workload for me, personally. Im not too sure tho

Fair, but once you're getting A*s in further maths you really won't need to do anywhere near as much work to get an A* in single maths. I barely revised it myself.
Reply 10
You might have double the number of maths lessons or you might just have an extra 3 or 4 depending on the pace of teaching as well.

Thanks very much <3

Quick Reply

Latest