The Student Room Group

Wanna gain weight but stuck

Hi I'm an 18 year old female who weighs around 48kg and I'm about 167cm tall. I am very skinny and find it difficult to put weight on. I've tried eating more and I'm not an unhealthy eater, in fact I love fruit and veg. I just find it difficult to eat large portions and get full quite quickly compared to others. I would really like to gain some healthy weight and muscle, and I've started using light weights to gain some muscle and a hopefully gain a bit of weight but I find it difficult to put on. I just don't want my weight to get to a point where I am a bit too concerned. I do try to eat as much as I can, and I feel as thought I can eat lots some days, and others I'm just eating but a lot less. I am allergic to milk and egg so I do slightly avoid foods with them in, althought I sometimes take a bit of it. I do think my metabolism may be high, as I have always felt like it was, and it may be genetics, because my mum has told me both her and my sister was the exact same as me if not worse. They also went on to say that one day I'll suddenly start gaining weight like they did. I am quite frail and have little muscle on me and petite but tallish figure. my legs are long apparently and I do have a thigh gap. To be honest originally I wasn't concerned about my weight until people started pointing it out and nagging me to put on weight. I feel like I'm trying but I don't know what to do. I also with if I exercise I'll end up losing weight instead of gaining. this isn't a brag so I don't wanna hear people telling me I'm lucky and stuff. I mentioned it to my doctor and she thinks it's probably to do with my anxiety, and it is very true that I lost a lot of weight due to my anxiety since last year. I would say in slightly underweight and I really hope to bring it back up in a healthy BMI. it's just I don't know how to start. I have just been trying to eat more calories for months on end now and I still don't know if in eating enough.

is there anyway what I can do to gain weight or muscle? Eating more is one thing, and I have considered going vegan but I don't think that will be an option is I want to gain weight.
It's difficult to get answers because most people want to try and lose weight, so if I'm downloading calories counting apps they end up aiming to lose weight instead of going me gaining it, and a lot of articles are on eating less calories.
right,
-just work out ur tdee (total daily energy expenditure/no of calories u burn in a day)
-eat more calories than that^
-and stay consistent with it
...(myfitnesspal is a pretty good app check it out)
Reply 2
There are a certain amount calories you need to stay the same weight. These are called your maintenance calories, if you eat above those calories you will gain weight, below and you will lose weight. There are plenty of resources online to calculate your maintenance calories once you calculate them, Get a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal and make sure you eat above your maintenance calories everyday and you will gain weight. Generally eating around 500kcal above your maintenance will be enough to gain weight and muscle. Make sure you're eating enough protein if you want to prioritise muscle growth. Doing any cardio will burn calories so if you are going to do cardio make sure you know how many calories you burned during the session at and eat it back.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by abcabc1
There are a certain amount calories you need to stay the same weight. These are called your maintenance calories, if you eat above those calories you will gain weight, below and you will lose weight. There are plenty of resources online to calculate your maintenance calories once you calculate them, Get a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal and make sure you eat above your maintenance calories everyday and you will gain weight. Generally eating around 500kcal above your maintenance will be enough to gain weight and muscle. Make sure you're eating enough protein if you want to prioritise muscle growth. Doing any cardio will burn calories so if you are going to do cardio make sure you know how many calories you burned during the session at and eat it back.

ohh thank you so much. I didn't know there was a maintanence calories! I just assumed 2000 calories was the daily recommended and I did find it quite hard and difficult to reach that everyday.
Little things like adding more calorie-dense food to your meals help to up your caloric intake without feeling like you're eating that much. For example, adding honey or more oil to a meal helps.

One tablespoon of olive oil is 119 calories.

These are just examples, but you get the point.

Try to find out your BRM and insert your weight goals on websites that'll help you know just how many more calories you need to add to your daily intake to reach your goal.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mystery Panda
ohh thank you so much. I didn't know there was a maintanence calories! I just assumed 2000 calories was the daily recommended and I did find it quite hard and difficult to reach that everyday.

Yeah so for your measurements i would assume your maintenance to be around 1500 calories. So if you can get 2000 in that's great but if you cant eat 2000 everday it's not an issue as long as you hit at least a couple hundred above your maintenance.
I'm similar to you, I weighed 47.5kg at 168cm because anxiety was causing me to be constantly moving but I'm currently up to 52 kg :smile: my biggest advice would be the same as it is to people looking to lose weight- develop healthy habits and the rest will follow in time. I think the easiest thing to do is eat exactly what you eat now....just eat an extra few mouthfuls, add extra condiments, cooking oils or margarine or things like that.

I personally found that being calmer helped too. Less nervous energy so I wasn't pacing or bouncing my leg which meant I didn't need as many calories so I could gain some weight.

Try not to worry too much, slow and steady is best and your weight is no one else's business (except your doctor) and they certainly shouldn't comment. But work with your body so you don't end up in a cycle of gaining loads of weight, then losing and end up yo-yo-ing.

Quick Reply

Latest