The Student Room Group

Taking a southerner up t'north- Barror1's first year GYG!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Best of luck :rave:

:tongue: may I be tagged in this journey:colondollar: ?

Spoiler

I'll just add you now!
I did Edexcel for A-level lit and Cambridge iGCSE before that :smile:
Omg yay! Good luck, but you won't need it! :wink:

Taggity tag me in please x
Original post by barror1
I'll just add you now!
I did Edexcel for A-level lit and Cambridge iGCSE before that :smile:

Awesome :ahee: thanks
nice
Original post by RazzzBerries
Omg yay! Good luck, but you won't need it! :wink:

Taggity tag me in please x

I will definitely need it :laugh:
Tysm! Tagging you in now :love:
Pleaseeeeee tag me!!! So excited to follow your journey :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
It's good to be back! Are you running a GYG this year? I would love to be tagged in it if you are! :hugs:

Yes I am! Was travelling today so couldnt start it at the same time as loads of you, but it’ll be up tomorrow :biggrin:
:rave: :hugs:
Original post by Protostar
Pleaseeeeee tag me!!! So excited to follow your journey :biggrin:

Alll done! So happy to have you along for the ride :penguinhug:
Original post by laurawatt
Yes I am! Was travelling today so couldnt start it at the same time as loads of you, but it’ll be up tomorrow :biggrin:
:rave: :hugs:

I feel that! Got a whole lot of travel this month :laugh:

Hope you get a good rest tonight and I can't wait to see the thread tomorrow!
Good luck :ninja: Excited for you!
Original post by Lemur14
Good luck :ninja: Excited for you!

Cheers! I hope Durham will treat you well too!
Do you want a tag? :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
Cheers! I hope Durham will treat you well too!
Do you want a tag? :biggrin:

Thank you!
No thanks, I follow so many GYGs that tags would be overwhelming if I had them :lol: I use my watched threads to keep up instead :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
Thank you!
No thanks, I follow so many GYGs that tags would be overwhelming if I had them :lol: I use my watched threads to keep up instead :smile:

Yeah that's fair :laugh:
See you tomorrow!
Hello! semi followed your a level GYG but would love to be tagged in this one! also, am thinking of doing a GYG myself for the first time (going into 2nd year uni) and was wondering if you had any advice and whether you think your gyg has helped you stay on track?

hope you enjoy york!
Original post by RhynieChert
Hello! semi followed your a level GYG but would love to be tagged in this one! also, am thinking of doing a GYG myself for the first time (going into 2nd year uni) and was wondering if you had any advice and whether you think your gyg has helped you stay on track?

hope you enjoy york!

Of course you can have a tag! I will sort that out now :hugs:
I think that my A-level GYG did help to keep myself accountable but there is much improvement to be done! I have plans to find ways to keep everything in check on my blog this year. I did not even set my A-level blog up until April and it really helped out, so it would be great for you to set one up! I would love a tag if you make one :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
Of course you can have a tag! I will sort that out now :hugs:
I think that my A-level GYG did help to keep myself accountable but there is much improvement to be done! I have plans to find ways to keep everything in check on my blog this year. I did not even set my A-level blog up until April and it really helped out, so it would be great for you to set one up! I would love a tag if you make one :biggrin:

thank you! I think I mostly want to do one so that I've got a record of my second year experiences, and hopefully to keep myself accountable to force me to do some work haha

will tag you when I set it up! :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
Yeah that's fair :laugh:
See you tomorrow!

Didn't even know you were coming until I saw this earlier, but yep, see you tomorrow :yay:
Are you looking forward to curry on chips?
Original post by Notoriety
Are you looking forward to curry on chips?

I'm not the biggest fan of curry, but I am excited to exclusively eat rice for the next 3 years! :laugh:
03/08/19
25 Days until Move-in!
Oooh, first update time! :woo:
Just a quick note before we start, this will be my first update with the new format, so please leave any feedback down below!
-----
1- Getting ready!
With so long until I have to move in, I surprisingly have a lot ready! All of my bedding is sorted, and I am doing a trip to IKEA soon where I should be able to grab everything else including cutlery and any missing kitchen supplies! At the same time, I have been decluttering SO much! Yesterday was spent shredding a bunch of miscellaneous and unneeded paperwork and I just got back from getting rid of a BUNCH of mugs. In my mind, the more I can get rid of before I move out, the better! I don't want my parents to be finding random bits my belongings 6 months down the line, especially since I am not planning on going home after uni. It would be super annoying for them. :laugh: So yeah, decluttering is going well. I am excited to move!

2- York bits :dance:
I actually have a couple of bits in York sorted already! 1st year students already have access to the careers portal and I have been applying for jobs through it. I already have passed the screening stage for 1 job- I hope I get it! If not, I will 100% be handing in my CV to shops in the Shambles. It seems like such a scenic place to work, which would be awesome!
The only things I have to wait for now are my final timetable and room/block allocation. With this, I can register to vote, notify my doctors etc. of my new (temporary) address. Honestly, admin is super quiet until then, so I can just get on with life for a bit :work:

3- Literature
Reading season has truly started! I am pleased to announce that my first book is Frankenstein! Can't go wrong with a bit of Mary Shelley! :love:. I am reading this for my writing modernity unit, which is super exciting. I read Frankenstein a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. It is just as riveting a read now :biggrin:

After Frankenstein, I will be hitting up The Handmaid's Tale. I read around 100 pages ages ago and never finished it. However, with The Testaments (the sequel to Handmaid's) coming out next week, I really want to get it done before the big release! :dumbells: Exciting times.

Spoiler

4- Linguistics
Not much is currently happening on the linguistics front, but I am planning to delve into my A-level textbook to reacquaint myself with the basics of the subject. I have not really looked at the subject since my 2018 A-level so it would be great to get on top of that :redface:

I will hopefully be back later this week to report any new progress! Have a great time everyone :hugs:

Tags:

Spoiler

Sounds great so far :biggrin: you move in pretty late!! Glad you’re excited about it :excited:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending