The Student Room Group

Tips For Studying A-Level Computer Science?

I'm going into Year 12, studying my first year of A-Level Computer Science.

Anyone studying this subject- do you have any tips for revision or anything that could help me really. Or perhaps give me a heads up about something which surprised you?

The thing that works the best for me is applying the theory which we have learnt in class. I enjoy the programming side, and although you may not cover alot of it in the whole course, doing some extra in your free time is really useful and helps sharpen your skills.

If you learn best by videos, you may find Craig and Dave useful, they do videos for the whole course - however, they can be quite dull at times!
Some videos about Computer Science in general are good too, even if its not course specific. Try Computerphile or Numberphile, they are quite interesting.

Also, there is quite a bit of Maths overlap in Computer Science, so make sure you are up to speed with that too, it will be very helpful!
Some advice would be to complete your coursework as quick as you can. This will give you more time to focus on your theory work. Use the summer between yr12 and yr13 to complete the coursework
I just finished AQA A-level computer science and got a secure A*.

Make sure you're on top of the theory you've learned so far all the time. You don't want to have to effectively relearn large amounts of the course before every exam or mock. Easy to say and hard to do I know but this will save you a lot of panic. Unfortunately there is just a large amount of content you have to learn and sometimes it can be fairly abstract so try to keep on top of it. Once you're good with the coding, just keep it warm - you could make a small game like Connect-4 (and then an AI to play against!) or for the more mathematically-inclined there's Project Euler or the British Informatics Olympiad questions.

About coursework, try to finish the program early since you also have to write a ton of documenation for it. You won't be judged for the frilly bits so don't agonise over them. Also be cautious before doing a game as your project - I did one and although it was enjoyable, it was a massive timesink as I kept adding non-essential features and then had to remove them when I realised I would have to write in detail about it all!
Original post by JM11123
The thing that works the best for me is applying the theory which we have learnt in class. I enjoy the programming side, and although you may not cover alot of it in the whole course, doing some extra in your free time is really useful and helps sharpen your skills.

If you learn best by videos, you may find Craig and Dave useful, they do videos for the whole course - however, they can be quite dull at times!
Some videos about Computer Science in general are good too, even if its not course specific. Try Computerphile or Numberphile, they are quite interesting.

Also, there is quite a bit of Maths overlap in Computer Science, so make sure you are up to speed with that too, it will be very helpful!

For the Maths- is it basic or higher level Maths?

Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by OR321
Some advice would be to complete your coursework as quick as you can. This will give you more time to focus on your theory work. Use the summer between yr12 and yr13 to complete the coursework

Okay, thank you for that helpful advice I definitely have that one noted. :smile:
Original post by Dysf(x)al
I just finished AQA A-level computer science and got a secure A*.

Make sure you're on top of the theory you've learned so far all the time. You don't want to have to effectively relearn large amounts of the course before every exam or mock. Easy to say and hard to do I know but this will save you a lot of panic. Unfortunately there is just a large amount of content you have to learn and sometimes it can be fairly abstract so try to keep on top of it. Once you're good with the coding, just keep it warm - you could make a small game like Connect-4 (and then an AI to play against!) or for the more mathematically-inclined there's Project Euler or the British Informatics Olympiad questions.

About coursework, try to finish the program early since you also have to write a ton of documenation for it. You won't be judged for the frilly bits so don't agonise over them. Also be cautious before doing a game as your project - I did one and although it was enjoyable, it was a massive timesink as I kept adding non-essential features and then had to remove them when I realised I would have to write in detail about it all!

Nice to know you got an A*.

I already have a background in coding so I think I will be okay with that.

As for my revision technique would you say "little but often" is the best way to describe it?
Original post by RMR2002
Nice to know you got an A*.

I already have a background in coding so I think I will be okay with that.

As for my revision technique would you say "little but often" is the best way to describe it?

Yeah definitely little and often. More effective and probably also less stressful.
Original post by Dysf(x)al
Yeah definitely little and often. More effective and probably also less stressful.

Is the level of Maths like average and basic? Or is it a higher level?

What did you get for Maths GCSE?
Original post by RMR2002
For the Maths- is it basic or higher level Maths?

Thank you for your help :smile:

It’s mostly just to support your learning in problem solving and thinking
A good understanding of maths and logic will help in the Boolean Logic section
There is also some Maths for Regular Expressions.

If you’re doing Further Maths, you will find overlap in the algorithms section (if you do The Decision Module) (I do Edexcel so idk if that’s different for others)
Original post by RMR2002
Is the level of Maths like average and basic? Or is it a higher level?

What did you get for Maths GCSE?

There is some maths but I would say it's fairly different to the sort of thing you'd find in maths GCSE. Much of it is just basic numerical calculations (eg. finding the size of a sound file of a given length or adding numbers in binary which works very similarly to how it does in base 10). I would say the only really hard bit of maths is the boolean algebra but that can easily be practiced.

I got an A* in maths GCSE, and there is probably a correlation between maths grades and computer science grades but there's no reason why someone who got a 6 in maths can't work hard and get the A*.
I've just finished my AS and got an A. What I did was cover the theory completely before starting the coursework and skeleton program that I had to do. I made flashcards for each topic - and the questions for the theory paper aren't too difficult, providing you not only know, but understand, the theory. Cover the theory well and early, and you should be fine. The aforementioned little but often is a great idea.

Any tips on getting the A* at A2 though? And any recommendations for a project idea?
Got a high A with OCR.

Memorisation, memorisation, memorisation.

The coursework is underweighted but you need to bag as many marks as you can on it; out of a class of 13 with 7 predicted at least an A, I was the only one who got one. ‘It’s only 20%’ is only a good argument to make if you can bank doing well on the exams or if it’s damaging your subjects or wellbeing. Otherwise you’re gonna have to try your best.

You absolutely can cram this subject, but it’s better not to; you may have to use many revision sources which is incredibly time consuming.

Most importantly, enjoy it! It’s a really cool subject.

Message me if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
Got a high A with OCR.

Memorisation, memorisation, memorisation.

The coursework is underweighted but you need to bag as many marks as you can on it; out of a class of 13 with 7 predicted at least an A, I was the only one who got one. ‘It’s only 20%’ is only a good argument to make if you can bank doing well on the exams or if it’s damaging your subjects or wellbeing. Otherwise you’re gonna have to try your best.

You absolutely can cram this subject, but it’s better not to; you may have to use many revision sources which is incredibly time consuming.

Most importantly, enjoy it! It’s a really cool subject.

Message me if you have any questions :smile:

What resources did you use?
Did anyone use any resources other than Craig and Dave? Thank you.
Reply 15
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/computer-science-revision/ here's a link with all the notes for comp sci, i find it really helpful
Reply 16
Original post by ClimbingUp02
I'm going into Year 12, studying my first year of A-Level Computer Science.

Anyone studying this subject- do you have any tips for revision or anything that could help me really. Or perhaps give me a heads up about something which surprised you?

Sometimes i have heard people who do A-Level Computer Science haven't heard of Object Oriented Programming in which programming is programmed in way to be seen as an object. I would recommend looking into it as it makes programming much easier when something is in more human terms
Reply 17
I created a website called computerneek.org to help those with a level computer science. It also has past papers section B tips, tricks and solutions.
the website says it's blocked
Reply 19
Original post by oreosel
the website says it's blocked

are you sure you wrote the correct spelling. If your using on a school system it will be due to it being a new domain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending