The Student Room Group

What is a "faction"? - Tudor England

I have researched many websites but they give quite complicated definitions. Someone please help?
To my understanding a 'faction' is a group of courtiers with a shared interest that work together to push that interest. For example, during Henry VIII's 'Great Matter' - when he was employing various strategies to divorce Catherine of Aragon - the Aragonese faction formed in the Chamber in her defence against the anti-Catholic implications of the divorce. I'm not sure if the term is strictly tied to court though, might be something to look into
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by liaente
I have researched many websites but they give quite complicated definitions. Someone please help?

Google found me this: https://www.history.org.uk/student/categories/491/module/8679/the-tudors/9044/faction-in-tudor-england
Reply 3
Original post by Assembly
To my understanding a 'faction' is a group of courtiers with a shared interest that work together to push that interest. For example, during Henry VIII's 'Great Matter' - when he was employing various strategies to divorce Catherine of Aragon - the Aragonese faction formed in the Chamber in her defence against the anti-Catholic implications of the divorce. I'm not sure if the term is strictly tied to court though, might be something to look into

Thank you very much! :biggrin:

- these are one of the websites that got me confused, but thank you for your help.
A group of people with shared aims/values working together to advance them.

In the context of Tudor England, most significantly probably are the Conservative (Catholic) faction and the Reformist (Protestant) faction. I hope I've explained it somewhat!
Original post by liaente

Mainly under the rule of Henry VIII in the 1530 period there were two main factions, in which they quarreled perpetually. You had the conservative faction, that was the Catholic faction; they were led by the (as Historian Robert Hutchinson describes him) most powerful man in Tudor period under the King Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk. As well as that in the conservative faction you had, Henry Howard, Earl of Suffolk, and Gardiner, Bishop of Winchester. On the other hand you had the evangelical faction in which this consisted of people like Thomas Cromwell (the Vicegerent), Thomas Cranmer (whom was the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1532) and others. This were the main two factions who fought each other (vocally) until the death of Henry VIII in 1547, and it ended there because under the reign of the 9 year-old Edward VI, the evangelicals dominated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending