The Student Room Group

Which laptop is perfect for university?

I am not sure if I want a MacBook or a chrome book :/ there is a leonvo laptop s330 14 inch but I don’t think it’s good enough for essays, games and etc.

Scroll to see replies

The latest MacBook Pro 13 on Apple’s student discount offer (which has a reduced price + Beats Studio 3 Wireless headphones) is the best all-round laptop for school imo. It’s slightly more expensive than some Windows laptops but will last a lot longer than them and would have a much higher resale value if you choose to sell it later. The past MacBook Pro 13s were lacking performance but this year Apple has upgraded them quite heavily and they’re really good.
(edited 4 years ago)
What type of gaming do you want to do? I don't think a chromebook would be very good for gaming.

If you're literally just looking for web browsing and word processing, you don't need to spend much at all and you don't really need a macbook.

In terms of price-to-performance, Macbooks are abysmal. A lot of the price is for the fashion and the brand.
I just brought a MacBook Pro from 2010 in really good condition for only £180. Sure it’s not the newest and it can only run El Capitan but it still works 🤷🏻*♂️ depends how much you’re willing to spend really
don't get a macbook that's all im gonna say
Original post by _gcx
What type of gaming do you want to do? I don't think a chromebook would be very good.

If you're literally just looking for web browsing and word processing, you don't need to spend much at all and you don't really need a macbook.

In terms of price-to-performance, Macbooks are abysmal. A lot of the price is for the fashion and the brand.

A lot of the price is for things which can’t easily be evaluated looking at a spec sheet. For example the speakers/trackpad/screen/how it works with your phone/build quality (unless the dust keyboard thing is as bad as some people make out). The base models really aren’t overpriced at all, the upgrades are however.
Original post by qveen
don't get a macbook that's all im gonna say

Why? I’m curious 🤨also you’re an army??? Omggg I am an army too!
Reply 7
Not to be an apple head but I love my MacBook. Trackpad is massive (at least since the '16 model), secondary clicks no force required, and switching between tabs and pages is instantaneous. Can't get that kind of manoeuvrability in a windows laptop, from my experience anyway. If you want to get them high performance games though you're better off with a windows laptop, or you could upgrade to higher spec mbps with an external graphic card and whatnot, but they're a lot more expensive.
Reply 8
I recommend getting a laptop with a i5 processor in 8gb ram, SSD drive comes standard usually so a good size SSD. Graphics card, if you're gonna play games with it. How much is your budget? Maybe if you get a laptop from PC world or something they might throw in office with it as well or something.
Original post by Kaliwax
I recommend getting a laptop with a i5 processor in 8gb ram, SSD drive comes standard usually so a good size SSD. Graphics card, if you're gonna play games with it. How much is your budget? Maybe if you get a laptop from PC world or something they might throw in office with it as well or something.

My budget is approx 300 pounds also it is useful for essays?
Reply 10
Original post by Conversehigh
My budget is approx 300 pounds also it is useful for essays?

300 pounds? What games do you want to play on it?
If you’re going for a Lenovo laptop, the thinkpads are better. So look at the t series laptops. I would say a minimum of 16gb of ram, or one where you can go from 8 to 16gb if you need it.

I wouldn’t buy from PC World unless they have a sale on. Lenovo have a 10% student discount.
Original post by Kaliwax
300 pounds? What games do you want to play on it?

The maximum is £300 and I would like to play Minecraft. However, I want to use the laptop solely for universitiy
The maximum is £300 and I would like to play Minecraft. However, I want to use the laptop solely for universitiy

You are never going to get a Laptop that is capable of playing minecraft smoothly and is under £300.
Reply 14

You might struggle to get something that is amazing for £300, is there anyway you can upgrade your budget?
Original post by Kaliwax
You might struggle to get something that is amazing for £300, is there anyway you can upgrade your budget?

I could do that, I have a MacBook “Apple MacBook Pro - 13.3" - Intel Core i5 - 4GB RAM - 500GB HDD - Silver Grade Refurbished” it’s £400+ which is fine
Reply 16
if you're looking for something for browsing, watching youtube/netflix and for typing essays then i recommend a chromebook, i bought mine for around 200, also chromebooks have really good battery life
Original post by Eggyolk
You are never going to get a Laptop that is capable of playing minecraft smoothly and is under £300.

Minecraft really isn't that intensive. OP would do fine especially if they're willing to go used or refurb.
£300 for a laptop is nothing... Your best off spending £700-900.

Mine is now a few years old, i7 processor, 16 GB ram and still runs great.

Slow laptop's will slow down you need minimum i5 processor and 16 gb ram.

Buying cheap just means you'll buy more often, and having a slow computer at uni is absolutely horrible.
Reply 19
Can't you sell your macbook then you have £700 then which you can play around with to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending