The Student Room Group

Gully's road to A*A*A*A*

Alright, so I think this is like my third attempt of starting a grow your grades blog :colondollar: Third time's the charm as they say :wink:

My name is Gulled (call me gully :u:) Year 13 starts in 11 days and oh boy am I nervous. I know the next few months are going to be crazy with UCAS, the BMAT and A2 .

So here's the sitch:
I'm applying for 2020 entry medicine. I'll post my stats below:

GCSE Grades:

Spoiler

A-Level predicted grades:

Spoiler

UCAT score

Spoiler

Since I sat my UCAT last week and did 'meh'-ly, my uni choices have been altered somewhat- though I'm not quite sure about this final list.

University choices

Spoiler

So the goal with the blog is to help keep myself organized, make friends and overall just doocument my a-level journey. I'll try to update weekly at worst and every other day at best haha. Gotta stay realistic :wink:

So here we go, into the world of UCAS and A2- I'm sure it'll be hectic but I'll try my best to get through it
Tags: @Meduser

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck! :woo: :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by RazzzBerries
Best of luck! :woo: :hugs:

Thank you!!!!:biggrin:
Good luck :smile: 👍
Get those A*s 🤞
Reply 4
Original post by gullyyt

Alright, so I think this is like my third attempt of starting a grow your grades blog :colondollar: Third time's the charm as they say :wink:

My name is Gulled (call me gully :u:) Year 13 starts in 11 days and oh boy am I nervous. I know the next few months are going to be crazy with UCAS, the BMAT and A2 .

So here's the sitch:

GCSE Grades:

Spoiler

Spoiler

UCAT score

Spoiler

Since I sat my UCAT last week and did 'meh'-ly, my uni choices have been altered somewhat- though I'm not quite sure about this final list.

University choices

Spoiler

So the goal with the blog is to help keep myself organized, make friends and overall just doocument my a-level journey. I'll try to update weekly at worst and every other day at best haha. Gotta stay realistic :wink:

So here we go, into the world of UCAS and A2- I'm sure it'll be hectic but I'll try my best to get through it

Did it work out for you?
Reply 5
Original post by gullyyt

So here's the sitch:

GCSE Grades:

Spoiler

Spoiler

UCAT score

Spoiler

University choices

Spoiler

Ughhhh, why does everyone want to do medicine. Such a waste of life, the stress, the constant exams and years spent on even being able to put a plaster on someone. Not to mention the absolutely shocking hours and hideous pay (for junior doctors). I’d rather get a good job in finance
Reply 6
Original post by Bazyli
Ughhhh, why does everyone want to do medicine. Such a waste of life, the stress, the constant exams and years spent on even being able to put a plaster on someone. Not to mention the absolutely shocking hours and hideous pay (for junior doctors). I’d rather get a good job in finance

Haha its pretty wack ngl, though I can't speak for everyone I guess it's enjoyable being able to do something that actively makes an impact on someone's life. Being a doctor puts you in a position of privilege- more often than not, you're the first point of contact for patients, you get to help them out with situations that (in some cases) not even their family are aware of. That's awesome in my opinion.

Whilst the pay within the NHS isn't the best amongst junior doctors, I guess once you reach consultant levels it'll be calm

Also, I did consider working in finance at one point- did a bit of work experience @ goldman sachs, morgan stanley and credit suisse- whilst it did seem rly cool I dont think it'd be for me. After speaking to some employees I realized that I'd prefer applying what I learnt in uni directly to my profession and it seems a bit souless.
Original post by Bazyli
Did it work out for you?

Not sure quite yet! I'll be submitting my application in october! Hopefully it does :smile:
Good Luck!!!!!!
Reply 8
Thank you!
Reply 9
31/08/2019:

Alright, so its been a few days since I started this blog- so i figured it time for a little update:

I've been focused on catching up with school work that I've been procrastinating on since I finished up with all of the UCAT nonsense last week. It's been pretty hectic and I've still got quite a bit to do.

Yesterday, I completed a few physics worksheets that I got set as homework. Yikes! It seems like I'll need to refresh my memory on some topics before I get back:bawling: I can't remember anything and there's a potential test on the first day back :OO But I figure that I'll be fine if I stick to my revision plan for this week.

I've also got to make notes for biology along with an essay to write on primary and secondary succession. Doesn't seem too bad if I'm honest, I'm quite looking forward to it really. I'll have to see if I'm anywhere near as excited in a weeks time (when the stress kicks in) :biggrin:

Today I've been at the library. Managed to get some solid work in- I've start to produce ACTUAL words for my personal statement. It's like there was a *magical* click and suddenly all of my writer's block was gone. It's a great feeling! I also got a pure maths paper done - I didn't do too horribly but I've forgotten a lot of standard stuff- but I think that it's totally fixable by the time I get back to school.

I'm pretty much done for the day and I'm about to go shopping for school clothes! Fun! :tongue: I'll be back in a few days with another update! Let me know what you guys want to see- I'm not quite sure how to go about this entrie grow your grades blog process!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by gullyyt
31/08/2019:

Alright, so its been a few days since I started this blog- so i figured it time for a little update:

I've been focused on catching up with school work that I've been procrastinating on since I finished up with all of the UCAT nonsense last week. It's been pretty hectic and I've still got quite a bit to do.

Yesterday, I completed a few physics worksheets that I got set as homework. Yikes! It seems like I'll need to refresh my memory on some topics before I get back:bawling: I can't remember anything and there's a potential test on the first day back :OO But I figure that I'll be fine if I stick to my revision plan for this week.

I've also got to make notes for biology along with an essay to write on primary and secondary succession. Doesn't seem too bad if I'm honest, I'm quite looking forward to it really. I'll have to see if I'm anywhere near as excited in a weeks time (when the stress kicks in) :biggrin:

Today I've been at the library. Managed to get some solid work in- I've start to produce ACTUAL words for my personal statement. It's like there was a *magical* click and suddenly all of my writer's block was gone. It's a great feeling! I also got a pure maths paper done - I didn't do too horribly but I've forgotten a lot of standard stuff- but I think that it's totally fixable by the time I get back to school.

I'm pretty much done for the day and I'm about to go shopping for school clothes! Fun! :tongue: I'll be back in a few days with another update! Let me know what you guys want to see- I'm not quite sure how to go about this entrie grow your grades blog process

naw good luck!! your going to ace it, what exam boards are you ding for chem/bio/math? x
Best of luck! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by kkkkrrrg
naw good luck!! your going to ace it, what exam boards are you ding for chem/bio/math? x

Thank you! Hopefully :biggrin:

For chem and bio im on AQA
For maths: edexcel?

are you also taking these subjects? if so, what about you :P
Reply 13
Original post by laurawatt
Best of luck! :biggrin:

Thanks a million :biggrin: :colondollar:
Good luck with year 13! :rave: And yay for getting your word count up for your PS! :woo:
Reply 15
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck with year 13! :rave: And yay for getting your word count up for your PS! :woo:Mer

Gracias :wink: Honestly, its gotten me ecstatic!:dance: Hooray for progress!
Original post by gullyyt
Thank you! Hopefully :biggrin:

For chem and bio im on AQA
For maths: edexcel?

are you also taking these subjects? if so, what about you :P

ahah bio edexcel, chem ocr, maths edexcel :P
why the question mark on the edexcel XD also mate you got any advice for maths? how do you manage w it? x
Original post by gullyyt
31/08/2019:

I'm pretty much done for the day and I'm about to go shopping for school clothes! Fun! :tongue: I'll be back in a few days with another update! Let me know what you guys want to see- I'm not quite sure how to go about this entrie grow your grades blog process!

How do you feel about going into yr 13 vs going into year 12?
Reply 18
Original post by kkkkrrrg
ahah bio edexcel, chem ocr, maths edexcel :P
why the question mark on the edexcel XD also mate you got any advice for maths? how do you manage w it? x

ohoho 3 different exam board! How're you finding each subject: also are you going into yr 13 or yr 12?
I think the question mark was a typo- though I can't remember what I was thinking at the time haha.

Also, for maths the edexcel question books with the exercises are my saving grace. They're super tedious but they are really helpful- once you get past the fact that you're doing the same thing like 100000 times it becomes pretty fun. Answering some questions begins to feel like the academic version of muscle memory (if that makes sense?)
I've pretty much gotten through the year just doing those.
Reply 19
Original post by JustAWxnderer
How do you feel about going into yr 13 vs going into year 12?

Hmmmmm. I'd say I was optimistic going into year 12- I thought it was going to be a blast and I was ready for school after 2.5 months of lazing around post-GCSEs.

I'd say I feel 50/50 this year. I'm excited to be officially starting the whole UCAS process and applying to university. At the same time im absolutely terrified. The fear of rejection, stress, failure and exams are all looming in the corner of my mind. The whole admission test process is also adding to this.

I'm excited to finish up with this saga of my life- but I'm also not ready for all of the 'adulting' thats coming at me 100 mph

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending