The Student Room Group

Don't get out there and vote. Get out there and protest.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ColinDent
Would you care to provide some facts to back this claim up.

Well shall we take a quick peak at France as a sublime example?

Oh and as some background reading for you please see this article; 10.2307/3700911
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Well shall we take a quick peak at France as a sublime example?

Oh and as some background reading for you please see this article; 10.2307/3700911

I was talking about facts in this country.
Reply 22
I was talking about facts in this country.

I wasnt as i never made that claim...
Original post by Napp
I wasnt as i never made that claim...

So rioting ( in the UK) is not effective, with the one exception of the poll tax riots of the early 90's ( in which I participated)
Ergo the op's suggestion is just fanatasism, and a knobheads view at that.
Yes, because rioting is just what the UK needs right now 👌👌👌
Reply 25
So rioting ( in the UK) is not effective, with the one exception of the poll tax riots of the early 90's ( in which I participated)
Ergo the op's suggestion is just fanatasism, and a knobheads view at that.

Well you cant say its ineffective either as, thankfully, we rarely experience significant rioting. The fact remains though that countries such as France and America (plus most of the ME and Africa) have seen extremely effective rioting - which was my point.

I'm curious if you only call it a 'knobheads view' because you dont like the topic he proposes it be done for or if thats you view on rioting writ large - odd considering your earlier admission to hooliganism?
Original post by OR321

You're correct we could do with a touch of reality, we're leaving the EU and we need to get on with things.
Can we riot about this guy for trying to make riot?
Reply 28
Original post by markova21
Hmm. Why do I not believe you? In any event, leave or remain it makes no difference. People should respect and ACCEPT a democratic vote. Getting sick of Remainers, to be honest.

That sounds like a you issue. This isn't about brexit, this is about the shutting down of democracy.
No you didn't.

Yes I did. I didn't vote for no deal, but I did want out of the EU court which is why I voted leave. Anything else you want to tell me about me that I should be aware of?
You're correct we could do with a touch of reality, we're leaving the EU and we need to get on with things.

Nothing really happens with riots and protests. Loads of people always get hyped up and say they’ll join in, but when the time comes they never actually show up
Original post by Andrew97
Or just vote and accept the result....
rioting is for scumbags,

Yes you can vote. But not every ones vote is represented in the voting system. Only a few individuals change the outcome of a election.
Original post by esralled
That sounds like a you issue. This isn't about brexit, this is about the shutting down of democracy.

Yes I did. I didn't vote for no deal, but I did want out of the EU court which is why I voted leave. Anything else you want to tell me about me that I should be aware of?

Yes i believe that we should respect the referendum outcome if it was a majority that voted out. A 16.5 million of individuals who live in the UK voted out of the EU. Which out of more than 65million of individuals who live in the UK to me is not a majority. at all. Thats why many dont respect the outcome of the referendum
:mob:
Don’t encourage riots, it’s pathetic.
Original post by esralled

Nonsense, for a start the proroguing of parliament been very exaggerated and blew up to be something it isn't anyway. Regarding democracy did you vote leave to remain in the EU? If not you should support the new session of parliament being created because our harder line stance is what has made the EU reopen negotiations, which you claim to want.

What more important direct democracy or parliamentary democracy?

Parliamentary democracy voted the things that it now doesn't like as well as voting to give the referendum in the first place, which remainer campaign claimed to dissolve parliamentary democracy for direct democracy, untill it lost then they have acted like spoilt children ever since.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by OR321

More mindless mobs, they will sort it out :rolleyes:
Reply 36
The people voted to leave the EU. Are you denying us of our democracy?
Original post by Napp
Well you cant say its ineffective either as, thankfully, we rarely experience significant rioting. The fact remains though that countries such as France and America (plus most of the ME and Africa) have seen extremely effective rioting - which was my point.

I'm curious if you only call it a 'knobheads view' because you dont like the topic he proposes it be done for or if thats you view on rioting writ large - odd considering your earlier admission to hooliganism?

I call it a knobhead view because he/ she expressly states that during the riot they should " not cause harm to anyone that doesn't deserve it" ie if there's someone around that has an opposing view then harm them, that is the difference.
Original post by viliamreis297
Yes i believe that we should respect the referendum outcome if it was a majority that voted out. A 16.5 million of individuals who live in the UK voted out of the EU. Which out of more than 65million of individuals who live in the UK to me is not a majority. at all. Thats why many dont respect the outcome of the referendum

There's also the question of were voters told enough to be properly informed over what they were voting for or were the main sources of information:
A) The daily mail,
B) Boris johnson and his bus?

The whole of the referendum and Brexit has been peddled as being the 'democratic' option where the British parliament gets back 'sovereignty', but now the Boris Johnson is literally trying to get round democracy through running down the clock, excluding parliament from the conversation and effectively ruling by decree. Sound like democracy?

I don't think rioting is the way to go but i think protest is definitely necessary to express our discontent peacefully and to essentially stay on the right side of history.
Original post by hehwhat
There's also the question of were voters told enough to be properly informed over what they were voting for or were the main sources of information:
A) The daily mail,
B) Boris johnson and his bus?

The whole of the referendum and Brexit has been peddled as being the 'democratic' option where the British parliament gets back 'sovereignty', but now the Boris Johnson is literally trying to get round democracy through running down the clock, excluding parliament from the conversation and effectively ruling by decree. Sound like democracy?

I don't think rioting is the way to go but i think protest is definitely necessary to express our discontent peacefully and to essentially stay on the right side of history.

You could make the same argument about every vote that has ever been held, indeed remainers could be accused of just listening to the likes of Osborne and reading the Guardian, it doesn't make the result any less valid though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending