The Student Room Group

A-Level Psychology & Sociology in a year?

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask opinions whether A-level psychology and sociology are do-able within a year (max 1 and a half) time period? I've been wanting to speed up my sixth form graduation and I've heard a few people say sociology and psychology are the easier lot of subjects to complete within a considerably short amount of time compared to other subjects.

I've also never done these subjects before, however am genuinely interested in doing them at A-levels. How difficult are these 2 subjects to do and are they do-able at a relaxed pace within a year? Are there any mathematical components?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I don’t know about psych, but for sociology, it would be a pretty big challenge in a year. Everyone always assumes it’s “easy” but there is A LOT of content, and it takes time to develop your exam technique because it’s so specific. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you‘d have to put a considerable amount of work in to do it in half the time.

Just so you know, there are 3 papers
Paper 1: Education, theories and methods in context
Paper 2: Two chosen topic, the most popular being Families and Households, and Beliefs in society
Paper 3: Crime and deviance, theories and methods
Reply 3
Original post by Vib_A
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask opinions whether A-level psychology and sociology are do-able within a year (max 1 and a half) time period? I've been wanting to speed up my sixth form graduation and I've heard a few people say sociology and psychology are the easier lot of subjects to complete within a considerably short amount of time compared to other subjects.

I've also never done these subjects before, however am genuinely interested in doing them at A-levels. How difficult are these 2 subjects to do and are they do-able at a relaxed pace within a year? Are there any mathematical components?

Thanks in advance!

I did AQA A-Level sociology during this exam season. I'd say it's possible to do the entire course within one year but it will be quite tight learning the content and getting to speed nailing exam techniques to master the exams. It's quite content heavy but I've enjoyed doing the course to say the least. I can't speak for psychology but there's some mathematical and scientific components to it from what I've heard.
Reply 4
Original post by HannahLGriffiths
I don’t know about psych, but for sociology, it would be a pretty big challenge in a year. Everyone always assumes it’s “easy” but there is A LOT of content, and it takes time to develop your exam technique because it’s so specific. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but you‘d have to put a considerable amount of work in to do it in half the time.

Just so you know, there are 3 papers
Paper 1: Education, theories and methods in context
Paper 2: Two chosen topic, the most popular being Families and Households, and Beliefs in society
Paper 3: Crime and deviance, theories and methods

The papers depend on what exam board you're sitting through too, I suppose? I'll be giving it through Cambridge CIE.

Thanks for the insight otherwise though! I want to complete it in a year but...it really seems like it'll be giving me unnecessary stress. My anxiety already hampers my studying schedule sometimes as it is...
Reply 5
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I did AQA A-Level sociology during this exam season. I'd say it's possible to do the entire course within one year but it will be quite tight learning the content and getting to speed nailing exam techniques to master the exams. It's quite content heavy but I've enjoyed doing the course to say the least. I can't speak for psychology but there's some mathematical and scientific components to it from what I've heard.

I'll be studying the subject myself. Is the subject do-able in the context of self study or do you think tutors or teachers are definitely needed to excel in the subject?
Are there any 'crash courses' to the subject either that you might know of? Or are most helpful resources just a quick search away on google?
Reply 6
I definitely would not advocate this. The amount of content you have to learn for Psychology and the amount of content there is for Sociology. It’s STAGGERING. If you want to put yourself under extreme stress but I don’t think you do. Why rush..enjoy the years of college enjoy every step of life. But definitely you can’t study them in a relaxed manner. People barely do over the 2 years!
Reply 7
Original post by Vib_A
I'll be studying the subject myself. Is the subject do-able in the context of self study or do you think tutors or teachers are definitely needed to excel in the subject?
Are there any 'crash courses' to the subject either that you might know of? Or are most helpful resources just a quick search away on google?

Sociology can be self taught but I don’t advocate this approach as you need someone to teach you the exam techniques to answer the questions and it’s best to have someone regularly mark your essays and track your progress. I don’t know any crash courses etc though.
Reply 8
Original post by Laya_
I definitely would not advocate this. The amount of content you have to learn for Psychology and the amount of content there is for Sociology. It’s STAGGERING. If you want to put yourself under extreme stress but I don’t think you do. Why rush..enjoy the years of college enjoy every step of life. But definitely you can’t study them in a relaxed manner. People barely do over the 2 years!

Thanks for the insight. I'm really thinking about completing it over 2 years as other students normally would, now.
Reply 9
Sociology can be self taught but I don’t advocate this approach as you need someone to teach you the exam techniques to answer the questions and it’s best to have someone regularly mark your essays and track your progress. I don’t know any crash courses etc though.

Thanks for the info. As someone who hasn't studied sociology before but still has a genuine interest to explore the subject, how hard is the subject at an A-level? Can it be tremendously difficult to grasp the concepts of or are most of the topics easy to brief through?
Reply 10
Original post by Vib_A
Thanks for the info. As someone who hasn't studied sociology before but still has a genuine interest to explore the subject, how hard is the subject at an A-level? Can it be tremendously difficult to grasp the concepts of or are most of the topics easy to brief through?

Education, Families and Households, Crime and Deviance and Beliefs in Society are the common options for sociology. The latter topic is a bit hard to grasp if you didn’t study RE/RS before but it’s mostly to do with sociological theory on religion. There’s also theories and methods which is basically research methods. I have knowledge organisers from Hectic Teacher which I can send via DM later as I’m currently out - they’re good for revision but shouldn’t be used solely to learn the content.
Reply 11
Education, Families and Households, Crime and Deviance and Beliefs in Society are the common options for sociology. The latter topic is a bit hard to grasp if you didn’t study RE/RS before but it’s mostly to do with sociological theory on religion. There’s also theories and methods which is basically research methods. I have knowledge organisers from Hectic Teacher which I can send via DM later as I’m currently out - they’re good for revision but shouldn’t be used solely to learn the content.

Sorry but what are 'knowledge organisers'? It'd be nice if you could send the link anyway please, that would be nice help to prepare me later on. Thank you.
Reply 12
Original post by Vib_A
Sorry but what are 'knowledge organisers'? It'd be nice if you could send the link anyway please, that would be nice help to prepare me later on. Thank you.

I'll do that now.
I wouldn’t recommend taking both psychology and sociology in one year, the sheer volume of psychology and sociology is difficult to do in two years never mind one and as for those subjects being “easy” they are certainly not especially psychology. Like with sociology there is a specific way you must learn to input and analyse information to get the most marks. Not only that but Psychology requires you to do more than just learn facts you need to know a lot of mathematical skills to calculate certain data and probability.
i did psychology in exactly 1 year i'm expecting a B even C grade just because i crammed for paper 3. it's defo possible to get an A* though but u would need a teacher who knows her exam techniques.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
I'

Original post by Clarypurchase
I wouldn’t recommend taking both psychology and sociology in one year, the sheer volume of psychology and sociology is difficult to do in two years never mind one and as for those subjects being “easy” they are certainly not especially psychology. Like with sociology there is a specific way you must learn to input and analyse information to get the most marks. Not only that but Psychology requires you to do more than just learn facts you need to know a lot of mathematical skills to calculate certain data and probability.

I'm pondering on the thought of taking another subject instead of Psychology then, perhaps. Specially if a lot of mathematical skills are needed. (Not the best at maths, :P)

But then I'm also pondering at the thought of doing the subject over two years...or perhaps 1 and a half years...decisions, decisions...
I did Sociology full this year and got an A*. I did it alongside AS Further Maths, the final year of A2 Maths and French. I think it's pretty easy imo, it's just content, you don't need to understand much it's all pretty self-explanatory. It's also so interesting so it's not a huge chore to revise or study.

Make flashcards as you go along, I do think it's important to do a least 2 full practise papers, so I'd get a private tutor to mark them. MyTutor is an online site and you should be able to easily find someone to mark them and give detailed feedback.

Remember when you write essays to actually evaluate. You don't get many marks for just criticising a theory, you need to say whether the theory is useful/helpful and discuss if the critique undermines the theory. Use as many contemporary examples as possible - aim for 3 for a 30 marker, 2 for a 20 and 1 for a 10 marker.

PM me if you need help, but it is completely achievable.
Reply 17
Original post by Aaryra
I did Sociology full this year and got an A*. I did it alongside AS Further Maths, the final year of A2 Maths and French. I think it's pretty easy imo, it's just content, you don't need to understand much it's all pretty self-explanatory. It's also so interesting so it's not a huge chore to revise or study.

Make flashcards as you go along, I do think it's important to do a least 2 full practise papers, so I'd get a private tutor to mark them. MyTutor is an online site and you should be able to easily find someone to mark them and give detailed feedback.

Remember when you write essays to actually evaluate. You don't get many marks for just criticising a theory, you need to say whether the theory is useful/helpful and discuss if the critique undermines the theory. Use as many contemporary examples as possible - aim for 3 for a 30 marker, 2 for a 20 and 1 for a 10 marker.

PM me if you need help, but it is completely achievable.

I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, but the fact that you did it along side subjects like further maths (that too in AS level) means you're probably pretty naturally talented at memorizing the details and such. I would never be able to sit my exams alongside those subject choices and neither have I been the best at maths.

Thanks for the advice anyway!
I did A level sociology and got an A* in one year.

Its possible but i have a really good memory and i can critically explain myself in 30 mark essays so hence the high grade. its upto your abilities.
Original post by Vib_A
I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, but the fact that you did it along side subjects like further maths (that too in AS level) means you're probably pretty naturally talented at memorizing the details and such. I would never be able to sit my exams alongside those subject choices and neither have I been the best at maths.

Thanks for the advice anyway!

You don't need to be good at maths, and none of my other subjects were really memorising, only sociology. Someone else did it in a year and got a B but she didn't try hard and her other subjects were politics and psych.

Quick Reply

Latest