The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Law Student @ Exeter University AMA

Just finished my first year of Law at Exeter and I lived in Lafrowda. If anyone has any questions about the uni/accommodation/my course feel free to ask!
Hi there, I'm thinking about applying but I wanted to know what the assessment style is for law, as in the ratio between coursework and exams. Thank you!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there, I'm thinking about applying but I wanted to know what the assessment style is for law, as in the ratio between coursework and exams. Thank you!

Hi! It's a mixture really. For first year, the exams are in May- which is what I personally hated as all my other friends had both Jan/May exams which is a lot more easier. The exams are all worth majority of the module (roughly 70%/80%ish each) and right until May there are a few bits of coursework - one formative and one summative essay for C&A in December, formative problem question for Contract in January, one essay and one problem question for Criminal and one formative presentation for Legal Foundations. In the exam period there is also a presentation for Legal Foundations and for Contract. Criminal is an open book exam and for Contract you're allowed the statutes book with you.

As someone who prefers coursework I definitely struggled!
Reply 3
Thank you so so much that’s been so helpful! I’m the same as you and really struggle with exams so this is a massive factor for me when applying to unis. Good luck with any future exams!
Hey I'm starting my law course in September at the Penryn campus and I was wondering what were your revision tips?
Reply 5
Original post by cathywill
Hey I'm starting my law course in September at the Penryn campus and I was wondering what were your revision tips?

Definitely start early!
- Do all your required readings before the lectures, so you have an idea what the lecture is about
- During lectures make notes; don't write down word for word what the lecturer is saying, annotate around the powerpoint, whether you prefer to do it electronically or handwritten it's up to you, I preferred the latter
- Aftern the lecture, consolidate your notes, whether it's additional reading or re-watching the lecture it's up to you, I recommend both
If you stick to this throughout the year you'll have amazing notes to revise from, take it from someone who didn't stick to it and struggled in the end:wink:

- Make sure you do summative assignments - they are ungraded but allow you to practise and get marked by a lecturer which can then help you get a better grade on a graded assignment
- I quite liked LawExpress revision guides to get my head round the basics
- Make sure that you make case tables for each concept ie in Criminal Law have a case table for ABH (and each offence) as then it makes it easier to revise

Stay on top of everything, it will make it so much easier!
Considered Exeter before, is there any truth to the hate here lol?

How many group chats are you a part of?
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Considered Exeter before, is there any truth to the hate here lol?

All he said is that he had administrative issues with the uni. If you look at Durham, they are much more renowned for this.

You can fact check his BME or black ethnic minority student claims yourself. https://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2017/goto/tableSearchAnchor

I think people need to make their own choice based on objective and verifiable facts, and not a dramatic YouTuber looking to get clicks and affronted because his fabulous self wasn't immediately accepted by a second-rate uni.
Original post by Notoriety
All he said is that he had administrative issues with the uni. If you look at Durham, they are much more renowned for this.

You can fact check his BME or black ethnic minority student claims yourself. https://st.hitcreative.com/education/university_guide/active/UniversityGuide/index/year/2017/goto/tableSearchAnchor

I think people need to make their own choice based on objective and verifiable facts, and not a dramatic YouTuber looking to get clicks and affronted because his fabulous self wasn't immediately accepted by a second-rate uni.

I am really sick of hearing the name of Ibz ****ing Mo.

So am I ..... I'll probably get carded over my reaction next time I hear that name
(when someone refers to him earnestly, not you two winding me up and trying to get me carded)
Original post by harrysbar
So am I ..... I'll probably get carded over my reaction next time I hear that name
(when someone refers to him earnestly, not you two winding me up and trying to get me carded)

Who, Ibz Mo?

BTW, while the UK population is around 3.5% black and Exeter is around 2% black, you must consider that Exeter has around 20% non-EU international students -- or what I like to call Chinese-origin students. If you exclude all these internationals, you might find the percentage of UK-domiciled students to be disproportionately high relative to the UK population of black people. YW.
Original post by lsv_
Definitely start early!
- Do all your required readings before the lectures, so you have an idea what the lecture is about
- During lectures make notes; don't write down word for word what the lecturer is saying, annotate around the powerpoint, whether you prefer to do it electronically or handwritten it's up to you, I preferred the latter
- Aftern the lecture, consolidate your notes, whether it's additional reading or re-watching the lecture it's up to you, I recommend both
If you stick to this throughout the year you'll have amazing notes to revise from, take it from someone who didn't stick to it and struggled in the end:wink:

- Make sure you do summative assignments - they are ungraded but allow you to practise and get marked by a lecturer which can then help you get a better grade on a graded assignment
- I quite liked LawExpress revision guides to get my head round the basics
- Make sure that you make case tables for each concept ie in Criminal Law have a case table for ABH (and each offence) as then it makes it easier to revise

Stay on top of everything, it will make it so much easier!

Thank so so much! I really appreciate the advice. Also when did you start buying textbooks? Do you reccomend that I get them second hand to save money?
Reply 12
Original post by cathywill
Thank so so much! I really appreciate the advice. Also when did you start buying textbooks? Do you reccomend that I get them second hand to save money?

No problem!
I bought the textbooks right at the start which I don't recomment also don't recommend buying them new as I spent over 200£ on those. Textbooks are available in the library, I recommend you have a look at a few different ones and see which one you prefer as I ended up buying a few throughout the year which was unnecessary because some I didn't even open. Also recommend joining facebook group called Overheard at University of Exeter, a lot of people are selling their First Year bundles at the moment for low places and most of them in immaculate qualities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending