The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

When to select course units.

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has already selected their course units for their first year at Uni of Manchester yet?

I've now registered as a student online, but I don't understand the course unit selection system and have not received any information/communication from the uni other than a couple of sentences in a booklet regarding when to make module selection. I'm worried that other people are already choosing and modules are going to fill up (I'm doing Ancient History and History but I guess it's the same process for most courses).

Thank you in advance.
Original post by favabeans
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has already selected their course units for their first year at Uni of Manchester yet?

I've now registered as a student online, but I don't understand the course unit selection system and have not received any information/communication from the uni other than a couple of sentences in a booklet regarding when to make module selection. I'm worried that other people are already choosing and modules are going to fill up (I'm doing Ancient History and History but I guess it's the same process for most courses).

Thank you in advance.

Hi!

If you have received the list of modules then the codes (eg.HIST10101 etc.) are the information you use to search for the modules you are interested in. The code tells you which subject area the course covers (Hist would be predominately a History course, CLAH would be predominately a Classics and Ancient History course), and also what semester the course is in (If the code ends in a 1 it is in the first semester, if it ends in 2 it is in the second semester, if it ends in 0 it runs across the whole year). You need to have a 50-50 split in modules across both semesters in your first year.

To add a module you need to go on the self service system through MyManchester, (Self Service>Enrollment>Add a class) and search for a module with this code. Looking at the course program that will be emailed to you, you will have a number of lists of module options. Follow the instructions, picking one or two modules from each list and searching for them on the system. When you select them you will be asked to pick the lecture times (which are normally at a set time) and seminar times (which normally have a range of options) before adding them to your 'cart'. You might already be enrolled on your mandatory modules but you may have to pick a preferred seminar time. After you have selected all your modules and you are happy click 'confirm' and the system will check your timetable for clashes, if there are none it will enroll you on these modules, if there are then there will be an error and it will tell you which classes are clashing. It can take quite a lot of playing around with to get the right times!

Most History/Ancient History first year modules have quite large capacity and will not fill up before the beginning of term, if you still need help with module selection there should be a drop in session held in welcome week where someone will sit with you and help work out which modules are the best fit for you! If not then you can get in touch with your course administrator they should be able to give you help selecting modules.

I know this is a lot of information so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about module selection!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I haven't had any info sent to me about registration or selecting modules yet (postgrad). Concerned considering I move to Manc in 8 days!
Reply 3
Original post by UoM_Student Ambassadors
Hi!

If you have received the list of modules then the codes (eg.HIST10101 etc.) are the information you use to search for the modules you are interested in. The code tells you which subject area the course covers (Hist would be predominately a History course, CLAH would be predominately a Classics and Ancient History course), and also what semester the course is in (If the code ends in a 1 it is in the first semester, if it ends in 2 it is in the second semester, if it ends in 0 it runs across the whole year). You need to have a 50-50 split in modules across both semesters in your first year.

To add a module you need to go on the self service system through MyManchester, (Self Service>Enrollment>Add a class) and search for a module with this code. Looking at the course program that will be emailed to you, you will have a number of lists of module options. Follow the instructions, picking one or two modules from each list and searching for them on the system. When you select them you will be asked to pick the lecture times (which are normally at a set time) and seminar times (which normally have a range of options) before adding them to your 'cart'. You might already be enrolled on your mandatory modules but you may have to pick a preferred seminar time. After you have selected all your modules and you are happy click 'confirm' and the system will check your timetable for clashes, if there are none it will enroll you on these modules, if there are then there will be an error and it will tell you which classes are clashing. It can take quite a lot of playing around with to get the right times!

Most History/Ancient History first year modules have quite large capacity and will not fill up before the beginning of term, if you still need help with module selection there should be a drop in session held in welcome week where someone will sit with you and help work out which modules are the best fit for you! If not then you can get in touch with your course administrator they should be able to give you help selecting modules.

I know this is a lot of information so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about module selection!

Hi :smile:
Thank you so much for all of your help, it is extremely helpful.

I do have one question if that's okay, I have not received an email containing a course program or module options, is this something I should wait for or something that I should already have received? Or should I continue to go through the process without said email?

Thank you again!!
Original post by favabeans
Hi :smile:
Thank you so much for all of your help, it is extremely helpful.

I do have one question if that's okay, I have not received an email containing a course program or module options, is this something I should wait for or something that I should already have received? Or should I continue to go through the process without said email?

Thank you again!!

Wait for it- the only people who get to choose modules before uni has even started are people who aren't freshers.
Original post by UoM_Student Ambassadors
Hi!

Hi! I'm not studying history but I assume it's a similar process - is there anywhere on the manchester website we can find the module options for each course (for example what we can take our first year, which are mandatory) or is it only provided through the email?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RainbowParrot
Hi! I'm not studying history but I assume it's a similar process - is there anywhere on the manchester website we can find the module options for each course (for example what we can take our first year, which are mandatory) or is it only provided through the email?

Pretty sure it’s on the course details page of your course on the UoM website (could be wrong). I’m 1st year English and we all had trouble registering and choosing modules, but when we emailed they said they automatically register you for all mandatory modules, and you just have to manually enrol on the optional modules (not entirely sure when to do this though, nothing has been made clear!). Hope this helps!
Original post by Bebro
Pretty sure it’s on the course details page of your course on the UoM website (could be wrong). I’m 1st year English and we all had trouble registering and choosing modules, but when we emailed they said they automatically register you for all mandatory modules, and you just have to manually enrol on the optional modules (not entirely sure when to do this though, nothing has been made clear!). Hope this helps!

Thanks! Yeah, I think I should just wait for the email :/ I'm first-year drama/english btw!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending