The Student Room Group

Brampton Manor Academy, Harris Westminster, LAE - HELP

I would really appreciate some advise. I have offers to do my A-Levels at Brampton Manor, Harris Westminster and London School of Excellence. My subject choices are Biology, Chemistry, Math, History. Aim is to do Medicine at university and hopefully at Oxbridge/Imperial, KCL, QM, UCL.

Anyone have an advice on which school to choose? I was going to pick Brampton as 41 offers to Oxbridge but the teachers are so rude - on enrollment day I was told to swap history for phycology and teacher said if you don't we will ask you to leave and recind your offer.

I heard Harris Westminster is the most prestigious state school - 37 went to Oxbridge. Anyone have any insight on this?

LAE has high A*/A - 65% and sent 25 students to Oxbridge.
Reply 1
Original post by studentalevels43
I would really appreciate some advise. I have offers to do my A-Levels at Brampton Manor, Harris Westminster and London School of Excellence. My subject choices are Biology, Chemistry, Math, History. Aim is to do Medicine at university and hopefully at Oxbridge/Imperial, KCL, QM, UCL.

Anyone have an advice on which school to choose? I was going to pick Brampton as 41 offers to Oxbridge but the teachers are so rude - on enrollment day I was told to swap history for phycology and teacher said if you don't we will ask you to leave and recind your offer.

I heard Harris Westminster is the most prestigious state school - 37 went to Oxbridge. Anyone have any insight on this?

I go HWSF. Feel free to ask anything.
Original post by Hydri
I went to Brampton for 5 years and all I’m saying is that school is dodgey they have favouritism , teachers are dodgey as well. Work load is disgusting , my mental health was in a bad position so yeah hence why I left to havering . But decisions all yours

The sixth form and secondary school must be very different though, surely? Because in the secondary, they can accept anyone but in the sixth form they only accpet people with 8s and 9s.

I'm going LAE and want to do medicine too and imo all of these schools are pretty similar (all have a medics society for example) so it doesn't really matter where you go to.

Personal preference should really be how you decide (i.e do you want to do 4 A-levels for 2 years - go HWSF, want to go to a sixth form where you can drop 1 a-level and take AS exams- Brampton , if you don't mind dropping a subject without AS exams - LAE).

Picking a school based on how many people were sent to oxbridge wouldn't be the best way, as you also don't know how many of them went on to study medicine specifically, so the stats don't really benefit you that much.

Since I know all three schools require you to enroll on results day, which one did you end up going to?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BChemGee
I'm going LAE and want to do medicine too and imo all of these schools are pretty similar (all have a medics society for example) so it doesn't really matter where you go to.

Personal preference should really be how you decide (i.e do you want to do 4 A-levels for 2 years - go HWSF, want to go to a sixth form where you can drop 1 a-level and take AS exams- Brampton , if you don't mind dropping a subject without AS exams - LAE).

Picking a school based on how many people were sent to oxbridge wouldn't be the best way, as you also don't know how many of them went on to study medicine specifically, so the stats don't really benefit you that much.

Since I know all three schools require you to enroll on results day, which one did you end up going to?

You can drop a subject without AS exams at harris westminster too, they just really don't like it for some reason.
Original post by 13rby

how's Harris I got into there, Lae and Brampton but Harris seems sooo dry and boring
Original post by 13rby

How much homework do you get? Are the teacher helpful and supportive? What subjects are you doing?
Reply 7
Original post by .unknown
How much homework do you get? Are the teacher helpful and supportive? What subjects are you doing?

Homework is a lot but its doable. I struggled a lot with deadlines in the beginning of last year. Teachers are supportive so long as you put in the work. I do maths econ politics. Just dropped further maths so I can also tell you about that.
Original post by 13rby
Homework is a lot but its doable. I struggled a lot with deadlines in the beginning of last year. Teachers are supportive so long as you put in the work. I do maths econ politics. Just dropped further maths so I can also tell you about that.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! Some schools do the whole of a level maths in one year and then further maths the second year is harris Westminster like that? Also are the maths teachers actually good at teaching? Could u also tell me why u dropped further maths and what grade u got in gcse maths to have done it in the first place? And btw how many students approximately do further maths and how many dropped it?
Reply 9
Original post by .unknown
Thank you so much for answering my questions! Some schools do the whole of a level maths in one year and then further maths the second year is harris Westminster like that? Also are the maths teachers actually good at teaching? Could u also tell me why u dropped further maths and what grade u got in gcse maths to have done it in the first place? And btw how many students approximately do further maths and how many dropped it?

You learn both courses simultaneously and then sit them both in y13. I never had any complaints about my teachers, but I guess I was lucky I had good ones. In our year one of the economics teachers left and only one class had a proper teacher the whole time. I dropped fm because I realised half way through the year that the struggle of doing further maths is not worth the advantage of having it when it comes to uni applications (I want to do PPE). Honestly I wouldn't reccomend doing further maths unless you need a 4th option or you need it for whatever you want to do in uni. GCSE grade literally means nothing as someone who got a 7 in gcse maths did really well in the end of year exam's in fm. Likewise people who got 9's failed. It depends on you.
Original post by 13rby

I'm doing ur mix but with English, what u trine study at uni
Reply 11
Original post by seraphim19
I'm doing ur mix but with English, what u trine study at uni

Economics, wbu?
Original post by 13rby
Economics, wbu?

law
Original post by BChemGee

Are you sure you can't drop a subject at Brampton without doing AS exams? How come you chose LAE over Brampton?
Are you sure you can't drop a subject at Brampton without doing AS exams? How come you chose LAE over Brampton?

actually, at the start of the second week in Brampton, you're allowed to drop a subject or swap it.
Original post by jadarose
actually, at the start of the second week in Brampton, you're allowed to drop a subject or swap it.

whoops didn't know you could drop a subject at the start, they never told us this when I went for my interview.

I really just chose them because LAE has shorter terms, isn't attached to a secondary school and location- wise it's convenient.
Original post by Hydri
I went to Brampton for 5 years and all I’m saying is that school is dodgey they have favouritism , teachers are dodgey as well. Work load is disgusting , my mental health was in a bad position so yeah hence why I left to havering . But decisions all yours

How was havering?! I’m going there this September x

Quick Reply

Latest