The Student Room Group

All 7s 8s and 9s at GCSE. ASK ADVICE

Hi
I thought I'd make this thread for people doing their gcses and would like some help or advice, because I found these useful when doing my gcses
So I got
7 English Lang aqa
8 English Lit. Aqa
9 Maths edexcel
8-8 combined science aqa
7 history ocr
8 geography aqa
8 business aqa

If anyone is doing the same subjects and exam boards please feel free to ask questions and advice. Most importantly GOOD LUCK YOU WILL SMASH GCSES!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tkt12345
Hi
I thought I'd make this thread for people doing their gcses and would like some help or advice, because I found these useful when doing my gcses
So I got
7 English Lang aqa
8 English Lit. Aqa
9 Maths edexcel
7 history ocr
8 geography aqa
8 business aqa

If anyone is doing the same subjects and exam boards please feel free to ask questions and advice. Most importantly GOOD LUCK YOU WILL SMASH GCSES!

How do you only have 6 results listed? You must’ve taken science subjects, at least combined science?
Reply 2
Did you get dodgy science grades?
Original post by S.carter
How do you only have 6 results listed? You must’ve taken science subjects, at least combined science?

Oh sorry I forgot to put science
Original post by Racsoix
Did you get dodgy science grades?

No I forgot to put it in I'll do it now
Reply 5
is there any reason you didnt take a language? (not in a rude way just wondering)
Oh sorry I forgot to put science

Ahhh ok, you’re lucky you only had to take 8 GCSEs (As combined science counts for 2 I believe)- my school forced us to take 9 :/
Well done on your results though!
Original post by amellx
is there any reason you didnt take a language? (not in a rude way just wondering)

We didn't get the option to choose a language as our school at the time didn't have a proper language teacher :smile:
Hi
So I got
7 English Lang aqa
8 English Lit. Aqa
9 Maths edexcel
8-8 combined science aqa
7 history ocr
8 geography aqa
8 business aqa

how did you revise English Lang and lit
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by S.carter
Ahhh ok, you’re lucky you only had to take 8 GCSEs (As combined science counts for 2 I believe)- my school forced us to take 9 :/
Well done on your results though!

Thankfully we only had to take 8 :smile: and thank you
Original post by SmartUnicorn

I literally copied one of Mr.Salles English creative writing pieces and changed a few names and adjectives , ended up getting 69/80 in paper 1.
2 marks off a 9
Well done on your results!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SmartUnicorn

For English lang make sure you know how to answer the questions as some of them can be confusing. Practice answering them and give them to your teacher to mark. Also look at your mocks and the Mark's you got for each question and see what you did to get that. For the q5 on paper 1 I'd advise you to already have a story which you have written out and got your teacher to look at, so when it comes to the exam you dont have to spend time thinking of something to write, you can just adjust your preplanned story.
For literature make notes on all the themes and important characters of all your texts. Plan some essays and you can get some questions from the internet to answer. Get you teacher to check these. Also use youtubers to get your quotes and then try and add your own interpretations to them. Alternative interpretations are very important. Also try to learn a little bit of context to go with some of your quotes. For poems annotate using genius.com or YouTube, and then try and add your own. Also plan comparisons for a few different themes which may come up
Original post by Aaryia Gunvante
Well done on your results!

Thank you :smile:
Hi
So I got
7 English Lang aqa
8 English Lit. Aqa
9 Maths edexcel
8-8 combined science aqa
7 history ocr
8 geography aqa
8 business aqa

how did you revise for science?
and also CONGRATS YOU GOT AMAZING RESULTS!!
Original post by febreze
how did you revise for science?
and also CONGRATS YOU GOT AMAZING RESULTS!!

Thank you so much and I love your username!!
And for science I just used free science lessons. I know think of him as boring but he's so good and explains things so clearly. If you do aqa he litterly covers everything on the spec. I would watch his videos and make notes from it. Then from my notes I would make flashcards. I did this because I'd then understand fully when I was writing on the flashcard. I also made up my own questions for example: what is the definition of homeostasis. And then I would look at the flashcards and test myself on the qs. Also did a few past papers
Thank you so much and I love your username!!
And for science I just used free science lessons. I know think of him as boring but he's so good and explains things so clearly. If you do aqa he litterly covers everything on the spec. I would watch his videos and make notes from it. Then from my notes I would make flashcards. I did this because I'd then understand fully when I was writing on the flashcard. I also made up my own questions for example: what is the definition of homeostasis. And then I would look at the flashcards and test myself on the qs. Also did a few past papers

thank you so much
For English lang make sure you know how to answer the questions as some of them can be confusing. Practice answering them and give them to your teacher to mark. Also look at your mocks and the Mark's you got for each question and see what you did to get that. For the q5 on paper 1 I'd advise you to already have a story which you have written out and got your teacher to look at, so when it comes to the exam you dont have to spend time thinking of something to write, you can just adjust your preplanned story.
For literature make notes on all the themes and important characters of all your texts. Plan some essays and you can get some questions from the internet to answer. Get you teacher to check these. Also use youtubers to get your quotes and then try and add your own interpretations to them. Alternative interpretations are very important. Also try to learn a little bit of context to go with some of your quotes. For poems annotate using genius.com or YouTube, and then try and add your own. Also plan comparisons for a few different themes which may come up

tysm!!

Quick Reply

Latest