The Student Room Group

Time To Be An Adult? Let's See (GYG)

Time to be an adult?.png

Hi! :wavey: I’m Brainz and I’ve been an engineering apprentice since completing my GCSEs (much to the dismay of many of my teachers!). It wasn’t a decision I took lightly but looking back, it was the best decision I ever made!

Academic Info

GCSEs: 9A*s and a Distinction

BTEC Level 3 National Diploma: DD

I’m also a really keen STEM Ambassador and love talking to people about the opportunities that are available.

Last year was a bit of a rollercoaster and it affected my studies a bit too. I left a few assignments until the last minute and, although some of that was due to other factors (mental health), I really want to be on top of my game this year - especially as it could make it difficult for me to continue with studies (HND/Degree) if I fail.

When I kept a GYG for GCSE (which you can find here), it was a great motivator and gave me structure to my studies. I'm hoping I can get that back again! :yes:

This academic year is also particularly important for me as it’s the year I finish my apprenticeship!! :eek:

Oh yes, and if I haven’t mentioned already - I’m buying a house!! So excited for this :excited: and I hope you like colour schemes and potted plants…there’s going to be lots! I certainly wouldn’t be in this position (especially not at 19!!) if I hadn’t been working for as long as I have and there’s no way my parents can give me anything towards it; just my good old savings :scrooge:

Everything is happening all at once (stressed is an understatement!) but by July next year, all being well, I *should* have:

Completed my apprenticeship

Completed a Level 3 NVQ

Completed a Level 4 HNC

Bought a house and moved in :woo:

I'm tagging in people who I think may be interested in following but I'll only do this once unless you'd like to remain on the list (I know there's loads of great GYGs that will mean loads of notifications!).

By all means let me know if you want to be added :h:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck :rave:

Tag please :awesome:
YESSSS I am so excited for this!! Best of luck with this year and of course keep me tagged :biggrin:
Am very much interested :heart:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
Best of luck :rave:

Tag please :awesome:

Absolutely! Thank you so much :biggrin:
Original post by Protostar
YESSSS I am so excited for this!! Best of luck with this year and of course keep me tagged :biggrin:

Thank you :jumphug: I'll keep you tagged don't worry :yes:
Original post by CoolCavy
Am very much interested :heart:

Thank you Cavy! :heart:
Original post by Yasmin1224
GYG?

Grow Your Grades :h:
Add me to the tags please?
Tag please!!
Reply 8
Ooh, tag me please!! :gah:
Original post by MidnightSymphony
Add me to the tags please?

Of course! Love your GYG by the way :heart:
Original post by furryface12
Tag please!!

No problemo :woo:

How have you been lately?
Original post by nyxnko_
Ooh, tag me please!! :gah:

Absolutely :gah:
:woo: Tag please :smile:
Best of luck this year!! It’s amazing how much you’ve done in the last few years after your GCSEs.

I don’t know if you remember me, I used to do a GYG during the GCSE period and followed your journey too. I recently started getting active on here again :smile:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Best of luck this year!! It’s amazing how much you’ve done in the last few years after your GCSEs.

I don’t know if you remember me, I used to do a GYG during the GCSE period and followed your journey too. I recently started getting active on here again :smile:

Of course I remember you!! It's so great to hear from you :jumphug: Thank you for your kind words! :h:

How are you? What are you up to now? :biggrin:
Original post by brainzistheword
Of course I remember you!! It's so great to hear from you :jumphug: Thank you for your kind words! :h:

How are you? What are you up to now? :biggrin:

Hi I’m good! I’m in university studying medicine at the moment so finally made it there after the A-level/entrance exams and interviews. :biggrin:

First years been amazing although the most intense year of my academic life. But well worth it and happy I’m doing something I’m passionate about :smile:

It’s such a big step moving into a house and everything, definitely gonna be there to follow your journey from this year! :borat:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi I’m good! I’m in university studying medicine at the moment so finally made it there after the A-level/entrance exams and interviews. :biggrin:

First years been amazing although the most intense year of my academic life. But well worth it and happy I’m doing something I’m passionate about :smile:

It’s such a big step moving into a house and everything, definitely gonna be there to follow your journey from this year! :borat:

That's incredible! Congratulations :woo:

I'm honestly so happy for you, it's really made me smile :h:

Is there an area of medicine that you're particularly interested in going into? :smile:

And it certainly is!! I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time (mainly because the seller could still pull out - so I've got everything crossed that they don't as I love the house!) :excited:
That's incredible! Congratulations :woo:

I'm honestly so happy for you, it's really made me smile :h:

Is there an area of medicine that you're particularly interested in going into? :smile:

And it certainly is!! I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time (mainly because the seller could still pull out - so I've got everything crossed that they don't as I love the house!) :excited:

Thank you!

It’s still quite early to decide what area I’m into since we’ve not had as much experience of all specialities in the form of work experience. However, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed learning about the digestive systems and the heart so that might be something I might be invested in. But there’s so many specialities I’ve not even looked into or modules studied yet (since we still in pre-clinical stage) so who knows what I might end up being dedicated to by the end of the foundation training years! :biggrin:

Definitely looking forward to starting second year soon :h:

Ah you’re up to the tedious waiting stage after sales been confirmed. I’m 100% sure you won’t have to worry and it’ll go smoothly. It’ll be worth the wait once you’re into your new home! :cool:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you!

It’s still quite early to decide what area I’m into since we’ve not had as much experience of all specialities in the form of work experience. However, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed learning about the digestive systems and the heart so that might be something I might be invested in. But there’s so many specialities I’ve not even looked into or modules studied yet (since we still in pre-clinical stage) so who knows what I might end up being dedicated to by the end of the foundation training years! :biggrin:

Definitely looking forward to starting second year soon :h:

Ah you’re up to the tedious waiting stage after sales been confirmed. I’m 100% sure you won’t have to worry and it’ll go smoothly. It’ll be worth the wait once you’re into your new home! :cool:

That's fair enough. One of my school friends is studying Medicine and she's completely changed her mind that many times I can't keep up :lol:

Hope second year goes well for you :h:

Yep! It's definitely tedious, but I'm surprised how good my conveyancer has been at responding to queries - I'd heard some horror stories from others so was a little dubious. Love the fact I can start buying little bits and bobs now though. It gives me time to shop around (and realise the eye watering cost!!) :biggrin:
That's fair enough. One of my school friends is studying Medicine and she's completely changed her mind that many times I can't keep up :lol:

Hope second year goes well for you :h:

Yep! It's definitely tedious, but I'm surprised how good my conveyancer has been at responding to queries - I'd heard some horror stories from others so was a little dubious. Love the fact I can start buying little bits and bobs now though. It gives me time to shop around (and realise the eye watering cost!!) :biggrin:

Hahahahaha it’s definitely a rollercoaster of choices!! :biggrin:

Oh yeah those three months after STC can be either a smooth sailing or a nightmare so I’m glad your conveyancer has been good and responding to your queries :^_^:. Can’t wait to see how you progress this year with all of it 👍🏽
Hahahahaha it’s definitely a rollercoaster of choices!! :biggrin:

Oh yeah those three months after STC can be either a smooth sailing or a nightmare so I’m glad your conveyancer has been good and responding to your queries :^_^:. Can’t wait to see how you progress this year with all of it 👍🏽

Thank you so much! :hugs: Look forward to hearing about your second year. Have you started it already or are you still on a summer break? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending