The Student Room Group

Man who stole $50 to be freed after 36 years in US jail

An Alabama judge has ordered that a man who robbed a bakery of $50.75 be released from his life sentence.

Alvin Kennard, 58, was handed the harsh sentence under strict rules introduced in the 1970s to deter repeat offenders.

The ruling provoked an emotional reaction from friends and family, who have been visiting Kennard throughout his incarceration.

Read more here.

Scroll to see replies

36 years? Wow
omd
Longer than murderers get in this country
Reply 4
He wasn't jailed for 'robbing a bakery' at knife-point alone, it was his third strike and that meant life when he did it:

Court records say Kennard was sentenced to life under Alabama’s Habitual Felony Offender Act also known as the “three strikes law” for stealing from a bakery. Kennard had previously served three years’ probation for burglary and grand larceny, making him eligible to be sentenced to life without parole under the act.

No big deal but it will be turned into one by those who just want jails and borders to be done away with.
Nothing beats the story of the Central Park boys.
And yet the West is held as the pinnacle of human freedom, as though China is the only one cruel enough to lock prisoners away.
Original post by z-hog
He wasn't jailed for 'robbing a bakery' at knife-point alone, it was his third strike and that meant life when he did it:

was just about to ask what is previous offences were, thanks
Just look at his skin colour and that should explain everything. Before i clicked on the thread, i knew the person was black. No “omg” coming from me when it comes to racism towards black people, i’ll promise u that
He’s black?
Original post by NoTearsLeftToCry
Just look at his skin colour and that should explain everything. Before i clicked on the thread, i knew the person was black. No “omg” coming from me when it comes to racism towards black people, i’ll promise u that

Black people in the US are rounded up into prison as though they are chattel slaves for concentration camps.

And yet the US has the nerve to talk about China's anti-terrorism education as though China is committing a genocide of Uyghurs, when in fact Uyghurs enjoy many special minority rights in China.

Same ffs
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Black people in the US are rounded up into prison as though they are chattel slaves for concentration camps.

And yet the US has the nerve to talk about China's anti-terrorism education as though China is committing a genocide of Uyghurs, when in fact Uyghurs enjoy many special minority rights in China.

The US don’t have their priorities straight... we BEEN knew.
The US don’t have their priorities straight... we BEEN knew.

The US is run by a white supremacist who encourages his voters to massacre non-whites in mass shootings.

If any country is a rogue state, it is the US.
Reply 14
This thread has gone all racist now, I can't see what difference his skin colour should make to anything. There will be plenty of white people in jail under the same three--strike rule and it is sick to make this a race issue. No surprises there, with it being reported to suggest just that.
The US is run by a white supremacist who encourages his voters to massacre non-whites in mass shootings.

If any country is a rogue state, it is the US.

They couldn’t have voted for a worse president... their country has always been in complete shambles but then they vote for a man who does nothing to help the huge mistreatment of black people in the states. Can you believe KIM K was the one who encouraged donald trump to set those innocent black people free from prison ? if everyone just used their Money and status wisely, the world would be a better place. The US allows guns, we’re not surprised.
Original post by z-hog
This thread has gone all racist now, I can't see what difference his skin colour should make to anything. There will be plenty of white people in jail under the same three--strike rule and it is sick to make this a race issue. No surprises there, with it being reported to suggest just that.

and here we go AGAIN... :facepalm:
Original post by z-hog

That would be a valid statement if black people weren't 12 times more likely to be incarcerated than white people under the three strikes laws. In 2016, 78.5% of Americans serving life sentences were non-white. The American judiciary is inherently racist, and the ridiculous laws enacted by the Americans almost always disproportionally target minorities.

(https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/race/news/2019/05/10/469642/3-ways-1994-crime-bill-continues-hurt-communities-color/)
Jfc what a heartbreaking case. Prison abolition is the only correct answer.

For all the rhetoric, this is an absurd statement. Yes, the US isn't exactly the epitome of domestic freedoms and human rights, but to claim that China is better than the US is utterly ridiculous. If you really believe China's treatment of the Uyghurs is 'anti-terrorism education' then you are truly naive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending