The Student Room Group

Online MSc Computer Science - University of Bath

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard of, applied to, or has received an offer from this online MSc in Computer Science program at the University of Bath?

Here is the link of the program:
https://online.bath.ac.uk/online-courses/msc-computer-science

Please let me know what you think about it and whether you would choose to study this program.

Thank you very much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have applied to this online program and now they are going through my application. Surprisingly not a lot of discussion on this online program of University of Bath. Meanwhile, I've got a conditional offer from University of York but personally I think the course structure of Bath is more suitable to my need. Now I will just wait for the reply from Bath. Is there anyone current student who can share their experience and thoughts on this program?
Reply 2
Original post by takou
I have applied to this online program and now they are going through my application. Surprisingly not a lot of discussion on this online program of University of Bath. Meanwhile, I've got a conditional offer from University of York but personally I think the course structure of Bath is more suitable to my need. Now I will just wait for the reply from Bath. Is there anyone current student who can share their experience and thoughts on this program?

Hi there, did you end up going for Bath in the end? How have you found it so far?
Reply 3
Original post by dishes
Hi there, did you end up going for Bath in the end? How have you found it so far?

Yes, I have accepted the offer from Bath. My course will start on Sep 2nd and right now we are waiting for the registration email. There will be an induction course in mid-August so we will have a better idea of the course by then. Keep you updated.
Reply 4
Original post by takou
Yes, I have accepted the offer from Bath. My course will start on Sep 2nd and right now we are waiting for the registration email. There will be an induction course in mid-August so we will have a better idea of the course by then. Keep you updated.

Ah, brilliant - I hope you enjoy it when it gets started! And yes, please, i'd love to hear about your experience with it
Reply 5
Original post by takou

Hi again, I hope you enjoyed the induction! I wondered if they gave you any info on things like dates/frequency of assignments and exams, and term dates, for example? I'm just trying to get a sense of the intensity of the course :smile: Thanks, again
Reply 6
Original post by dishes
Hi again, I hope you enjoyed the induction! I wondered if they gave you any info on things like dates/frequency of assignments and exams, and term dates, for example? I'm just trying to get a sense of the intensity of the course :smile: Thanks, again

The induction is basically to get us familiar with the online platform and get to know each other, not really with anything related to the course. So I don't have the information right now.

Course starts on Sept 2nd and keep you updated.
Reply 7
Original post by dishes

First unit calendar has been released, we are having assignments and tests once every 2 weeks. First module will take 8 weeks to finish.
Original post by takou
First unit calendar has been released, we are having assignments and tests once every 2 weeks. First module will take 8 weeks to finish.

Hi Takou, that's for the information! I was under the impression that the course was project based, so assignments but no tests, is that not the case?
Reply 9
Original post by MightyMirth
Hi Takou, that's for the information! I was under the impression that the course was project based, so assignments but no tests, is that not the case?

I would say it is mostly project-based, each test only takes 10% of the overall unit while each assignment is worth 40%.
Original post by takou
I would say it is mostly project-based, each test only takes 10% of the overall unit while each assignment is worth 40%.

mmmm that's good to know so how many tests are there?
Reply 11
mmmm that's good to know so how many tests are there?

There are two tests and two assignments which make up 100% of the unit grade.
Hi, I am also interested in this one. I see that each module is 10 credits. How many modules can you take in 1 term? Hows the workload? Can someone with a full time job handle it?

Are there any "face to face" sessions where we need to use a webcam and headphone+mics?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by reyjusuf
Hi, I am also interested in this one. I see that each module is 10 credits. How many modules can you take in 1 term? Hows the workload? Can someone with a full time job handle it?

Are there any "face to face" sessions where we need to use a webcam and headphone+mics?

We can only have 1 module at a time and the workload is not really intensive so far as I have already been working on Week 2 exercises while we are still in Week 1.

I am not informed that we will have any kind of face to face sessions and I don't think there will be any sessions in which we will need to participate in a particular time. So far everything is very flexible with stated deadlines and we are given the calendar of the whole module in which we know all the due dates of our exercises, graded tests and assignments.
Reply 14
Original post by takou
We can only have 1 module at a time and the workload is not really intensive so far as I have already been working on Week 2 exercises while we are still in Week 1.

I am not informed that we will have any kind of face to face sessions and I don't think there will be any sessions in which we will need to participate in a particular time. So far everything is very flexible with stated deadlines and we are given the calendar of the whole module in which we know all the due dates of our exercises, graded tests and assignments.

Thank you for responding with all this info, it's really useful - i'm glad to hear that you have found the workload manageable so far.

Have they given you a rough calendar for the year of module start and end dates so that you can plan holidays around it, at all?

How have you found the tests and assignments in terms of difficulty so far?

Thanks again!
I am also interested in the Msc from Bath & York, the below webinar from Uni of Bath may also address many concerns or info you may require:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5868698
Reply 16
Original post by dishes
Thank you for responding with all this info, it's really useful - i'm glad to hear that you have found the workload manageable so far.

Have they given you a rough calendar for the year of module start and end dates so that you can plan holidays around it, at all?

How have you found the tests and assignments in terms of difficulty so far?

Thanks again!

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply as I wanted to give you my feedback after I took the test today.
We are not given the calendar of the year but only calendar of the module that we are currently studying. We do not know when is the start date of the next module. My gut feeling is that there will be only a short period of break in between two modules. I don't need a long break and rather would like to finish the course asap so I didn't ask them about this matter. Sorry.
Regarding the first test that we had, I would say it is not quite hard in general. We have not started the first assignment yet, but from the exercises we had each week, I expect the assignment to be not easy and we should spare abundant time to crack it down.
Hope it helps.
Original post by takou
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply as I wanted to give you my feedback after I took the test today.
We are not given the calendar of the year but only calendar of the module that we are currently studying. We do not know when is the start date of the next module. My gut feeling is that there will be only a short period of break in between two modules. I don't need a long break and rather would like to finish the course asap so I didn't ask them about this matter. Sorry.
Regarding the first test that we had, I would say it is not quite hard in general. We have not started the first assignment yet, but from the exercises we had each week, I expect the assignment to be not easy and we should spare abundant time to crack it down.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for those details that's super helpful!

I'd love to know:

What languages are being studied (JAVA, Python...)?
If the format is in video or just text?
What IDE is being used (Eclipse, intellij..)?
Are you enjoying the content so far? How does it compare with something such as a Udemy course?
Are there any books that the course recommends?

Any details on the course would be amazing! Thank you so much for the information! :smile:
Reply 18
Thanks for those details that's super helpful!

I'd love to know:

What languages are being studied (JAVA, Python...)?
If the format is in video or just text?
What IDE is being used (Eclipse, intellij..)?
Are you enjoying the content so far? How does it compare with something such as a Udemy course?
Are there any books that the course recommends?

Any details on the course would be amazing! Thank you so much for the information! :smile:

We are using Java right now for the first module. If I remember correctly, they mentioned that we will be also using Python in other modules later on.

Class format is 90% text and 10% video.

We are using online IDE at repl.it.

So far the course has been quite enjoyable if you don't leave everything to the last minute. When the course is such flexible like this, one may tend to procrastinate. Just make sure to anticipate your workload if you are working full time. You can go and study ahead the next week's materials if you expect that you will be busy in the next week.

I only had some experience with Codecademy which might be similar to Udemy. I would say Codecademy focuses a lot on coding and how to make sure the code works while the course we have here also teach more about theory and concept other than coding. To be honest, I do not have the whole picture of the course because right now this is just the first module we have. This is just my feeling so far.

Although we do have a recommended reading list, we are informed that the books contain more information than what we needed for the course. So the reading materials are for reference and is available if we want to delve deeper into a specific topic.

Let me know if you need further info.
Hi thanks for taking the time to comment...you meet be coming up to the end of the first module. What are your thoughts now in terms of time commitment, examination, assesment feedback, course content etc?

Latest

Trending

Trending