The Student Room Group

HELPPPPPP!!!!Photography or History? What shall I pick for my GCSE subjects?

Now for my GCSE subjects I need too pick one more.

I have picked History too and today was my first lesson of GCSE but it was quite boring

But what do you guys think, shall I do History or Photography?

But I never done the subject Photography before so I dont know how its like.

Please help me, I know am suppose too have the answer but am stuck on what I should do.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello , Do Photography since u can do History at College with a good Eng Literature grade like 6+ .
Reply 2
And I appreciate that you are the only year 9 on TSR that has really good manners . Your Welcome and once again take photography becuase I can sense you are a creative person but also academic
I studied History at GCSE and absolutely loved it :smile: It's one of the facilitating subjects too, so colleges and universities view it in a high regard. (Though remember, GCSEs don't mean too much to universities unless you're applying to Oxford/Cambridge/Medicine/Dentistry).

I had a friend that studied GCSE Photography, and she told me that her workload was ridiculously high and that the coursework was really hard, same with a few friends that I had that did GCSE Art.

GCSE History was very formulaic, and it seemed very easy to get very high marks just by structuring your answers in a way that matches the mark schemes and to impress the examiners. Once you understand how to answer the essay questions, all you really need to do is remember a few key facts and you can get very high marks.
hey, these are two very different options.
take history if you like english and writing.
take photography if you like art and being creative.
at the end of the day its whether you prefer to learn lots of dates and lots of information, or whether you would prefer to do coursework and something physical.
hope this helps.
Original post by Emma_whiteford
take history if you like english and writing.
take photography if you like art and being creative.

I think this sums it up pretty well :smile:
I did GCSE History and really enjoyed it, so I hope you do too :biggrin:
I defiantly think do history because art and being creative is a massive part to photography Just remember history has lots of trips too just not right at the start! It might even be the only trip for photography!
Oh darn, I got jipped then! We didn't have any school trips for GCSE History :frown:
Don't pick a subject because it has a trip you might like to go on right near the beginning. History also has trips but it is usually at the end of modules/exam papers because they want you to know why you're visting where you're visiting. When my class finished the Cold War, many were taken to Berlin to see the Berlin Wall and learn more about the Cold War.
Original post by JosephTheLawyer
When my class finished the Cold War, many were taken to Berlin to see the Berlin Wall and learn more about the Cold War.

:eek: I would have loved that
Original post by TwistedIvy
:eek: I would have loved that

Yeah, I didn't go simply because I went to Iceland on a geography trip instead.
Original post by JosephTheLawyer
Yeah, I didn't go simply because I went to Iceland on a geography trip instead.

Holy mackerel! The only trip that I went on during GCSE was to the seaside to look at the coastal protection :redface:
That is the correct decision.
We did The American West and Medicine Through Time when I did GCSE History, so it might have changed a bit now, but I really really enjoyed GCSE History and I even carried it on and took it at AS Level :smile:
history 100%, art-y subjects at gcse are terrible
Original post by mez_merising
history 100%, art-y subjects at gcse are terrible

Terrible because of the work load? A lot of my friends at GCSE said that the workload was really bad, they were staying up all night working to really unreasonable deadlines for their art portfolios.
Terrible because of the work load? A lot of my friends at GCSE said that the workload was really bad, they were staying up all night working to really unreasonable deadlines for their art portfolios.

that's a major factor yes, also spending time on art when you could be revising for other subjects which you can achieve high grades much easier than based off whether your teacher likes the colours of your paintings...
Original post by mez_merising
You can achieve high grades much easier than based off whether your teacher likes the colours of your paintings...

Oh yeah there's this too, I remember a lot of upset being caused at my school where the art teachers would hold very strong feelings against certain art forms. (I had a friend that really liked using charcoal, but the teacher didn't and never gave them good marks for it). Or where the teacher drew exactly what they wanted to see in the coursework portfolios on the whiteboard, so everyone in the class just copied it down into their workbooks.
Oh yeah there's this too, I remember a lot of upset being caused at my school where the art teachers would hold very strong feelings against certain art forms. (I had a friend that really liked using charcoal, but the teacher didn't and never gave them good marks for it). Or where the teacher drew exactly what they wanted to see in the coursework portfolios on the whiteboard, so everyone in the class just copied it down into their workbooks.

marking systems are just horrid, one teachers 9 could be anothers 4

Quick Reply

Latest