The Student Room Group

Reading books. Do you carry on reading even if you are not enjoying it?

This differs of course for the genre. Fiction books can be an easier flowing read than non-fiction and if you don't like a story then obviously you don't read it.

But what of books that you have read about online, thought were interesting and ordered. Yet, when you start reading you can tell straight away you won't enjoy it. Do you read it anyway because you have bought it or do put it down? Again, the motivation behind it will be different depending on the type of book you are reading.

What about books that are complete slugs to read? For example, in my experience, even though I get a lot out of his books, John Locke is a very intense writer. This is for the most part down to the language he uses, natural for a writer from hundreds of years gone. I end up reading the same sentence again and again to fully understand the point he is making. I would read one page in the time it usually takes me to read 2-3 or more. This makes it hard for me to want to finish reading his works, but I know for a fact I get a hell of a lot out of them.

Self help, Psychological, Sociological and Philosophical books can sometimes be quite frankly not enjoyable reads, but are good for your mind, or for me anyway.

I have many on my To Be Read list. Do you feel bad when you buy one, start reading and don't pursue that book until the end? Even if it is good for you and you are getting a lot from it?

Many questions there but tried to explain as best I could!

Thanks
I'm stubborn and usually power through regardless. A book has to be downright awful for me to put it down.
Reply 2
Not as often as I used to unless it is for work. I don't have the time to stick with books I don't like these days given that I need to read so much other stuff for work
I used to want to stick with books because I used to buy them from shops where they were so expensive! Now there's Amazon though, I only spend a couple of quid, if that, so I don't feel too bad. I don't have a lot of time to read books I'm not enjoying, so I don't see the point, I don't think they'll give me anything.

Still, The Book Thief is my favourite book of all time, and I initially disliked the beginning, so it kinda depends. You have to give it some time before giving up completely. I also love The Three Musketeers, but the beginning of that was difficult to get through, and it's a very drawn out story so you have to be prepared for the long haul. I'm also a great fan of the Falco book series (20 books in total), and once I got to the fourth book I wanted to stop because it was getting very same-y, but I carried on and the rest of the books didn't disappoint! So it really just depends on if you think the book is worth carrying on. If it makes no difference either way, or the plot doesn't particularly jump out to me, then I usually don't mind giving it to a charity shop or something.
Reply 4
Three Musketeers is one of my all time faves. contemplated picking up French again just to get through it in its original language
Original post by gjd800
Three Musketeers is one of my all time faves. contemplated picking up French again just to get through it in its original language

That'd be a great thing to do I'd imagine, I can't read any French at all, but maybe one day
Reply 6
Original post by MartinisSkip
That'd be a great thing to do I'd imagine, I can't read any French at all, but maybe one day

I'd struggle now. been a good 15 years since I spent any time with it!
depends, if its interesting but too long i usually quit (im slow at reading, heheh). i have a few books in my room i thought would be interesting but ended up not enjoying, i gave them a go but theres no point forcing urself to finish something u dont even wanna read. sometimes i feel bad that i dont finish them even if theyre good for me (revision books for example :yucky:) but its just a book so
when i started reading crime and punishment ages ago i thought it was really boring and the language was too confusing to understand so i gave up on pg9. but i gave it another go like 2 years later and its my favourite book now so, i guess give them a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending