The Student Room Group

Help I don't have the GCSE requirements for the uni degree I want to do!

So I want to do a degree in business management at university but need a 5 in English Language at GCSE. However I'm studying English Language and lit at A level. Do you think I will still need the English language GCSE if I do well in my lang and lit A level?
I have already contacted the uni about the problem but I'm still not 100% sure what to do. Please help 😬
Hello,

Have you looked at the entry requirements on UCAS? you’ll most likely need the gcse requirement additionally.
Yeah I looked on the University website at the course I wanted to do and it needs a 5 in english language. If my college would allow me to do the resit for it I could definetly get a 5 in it. I'm just not sure that my college would allow me to resit the GCSE while I'm doing 3 A levels. 🙁
Original post by Matthew J_02
Yeah I looked on the University website at the course I wanted to do and it needs a 5 in english language. If my college would allow me to do the resit for it I could definetly get a 5 in it. I'm just not sure that my college would allow me to resit the GCSE while I'm doing 3 A levels. 🙁

They should allow you to do it, did you contact your college too?
So I want to do a degree in business management at university but need a 5 in English Language at GCSE. However I'm studying English Language and lit at A level. Do you think I will still need the English language GCSE if I do well in my lang and lit A level?
I have already contacted the uni about the problem but I'm still not 100% sure what to do. Please help 😬

Hi!
I got offers for psychology from Russell group unis that require a 6/B in maths when I only had a C. I would like to think that if you’ve got good predicted grades at A Level for English then they will overlook the gcse requirement.
Not yet but I know people who have tried to resit subjects and have been told if they wanted to they'd have to finish studying for their A levels first and then complete an extra few months to study and resit their GCSE.
Original post by Hazzabear
They should allow you to do it, did you contact your college too?

Not yet but I know people who have tried to resit subjects and have been told if they wanted to they'd have to finishe studying for their A levels first and then complete an extra few months to study and resit their GCSE.
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi!
I got offers for psychology from Russell group unis that require a 6/B in maths when I only had a C. I would like to think that if you’ve got good predicted grades A Level for English then they will overlook the gcse requirement.

That gives me hope! I may still resit the GCSE if I can but if I can't at least there's still a possibility of getting on the course. Thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
When universities set GCSE grades they tend to stick to them as they are stricter with GCSE than A level grades. Resit your GCSE. Explain the reason behind it. If they dont let you resit you can do it as a private candidate.
Original post by swanseajack1
When universities set GCSE grades they tend to stick to them as they are stricter with GCSE than A level grades. Resit your GCSE. Explain the reason behind it. If they dont let you resit you can do it as a private candidate.

Why are they stricter with GCSE grades? I assumed that A levels would be more important
Why are they stricter with GCSE grades? I assumed that A levels would be more important

When a university sets GCSE standards they dont in practice deviate from them. Generally it tends to be English Language or Maths or both. They usually set GCSE English language to prove an applicate is capable of written submissions and Maths requirements are normally set as evidence that the applicant has the Mathematical ability to complete a course. Maths requirements are usually set for subjects like Computer Science and Economics which have significant Maths involvement. If for example a university sets grade 6 or 7 and you get 4 or 5 it is highly unlikely you will get in. It is normally an instant rejection.

As far as A level subjects is concerned universities often accept lower than their published grades. Some universities dont but most do. An AAB offer may be made but acceptance on BBB often happens. They are more likely to reject someone if the grades are lower in a critical subject than a non critical subject. For example a B at A level Maths for CS than say a B in History which really doesnt really reflect on how somebody will succeed in the subject.
When a university sets GCSE standards they dont in practice deviate from them. Generally it tends to be English Language or Maths or both. They usually set GCSE English language to prove an applicate is capable of written submissions and Maths requirements are normally set as evidence that the applicant has the Mathematical ability to complete a course. Maths requirements are usually set for subjects like Computer Science and Economics which have significant Maths involvement. If for example a university sets grade 6 or 7 and you get 4 or 5 it is highly unlikely you will get in. It is normally an instant rejection.

As far as A level subjects is concerned universities often accept lower than their published grades. Some universities dont but most do. An AAB offer may be made but acceptance on BBB often happens. They are more likely to reject someone if the grades are lower in a critical subject than a non critical subject. For example a B at A level Maths for CS than say a B in History which really doesnt really reflect on how somebody will succeed in the subject.

That's what I was worried about but do you think that because I study combined lang and lit at A level they may still consider my application? My predicted grade is a B.
That's what I was worried about but do you think that because I study combined lang and lit at A level they may still consider my application? My predicted grade is a B.

If a university has a set GCSE grade you need to meet it otherwise you face likely rejection. They may forego it but only the university can tell you that but I think the answer lies with retaking it to achieve a 5.
If a university has a set GCSE grade you need to meet it otherwise you face likely rejection. They may forego it but only the university can tell you that but I think the answer lies with retaking it to achieve a 5.

Okay. I'm going to resit my GCSE English but my dilemma is that when I get my results I won't be able to put it on my application before the 15th of January deadline as I would get my results on the 16th. Have you got any idea how I can work around this? Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending