The Student Room Group

Accounting or computer science

Unsure of what to do in university. I have no previous knowledge in either of these subjects. My maths skills are pretty average, i achieved a C in maths GCSE. which of these degrees will give me a better career opportunity. i want to go for the computer science degree but because iv heard it requires good maths skills i am hesitant because i don't want to dropout. Do you think i should do computer science?

Scroll to see replies

You should only do computer science if you REALLY want to. It’s a subject that requires a lot of hard work and you have to fully understand topics to actually do well. Accounting is just as good but a bit more straightforward.
Reply 2
Accounting every time! :biggrin:
do an an accounting apprenticeship instead of doing a degree in accounting
Reply 4
Original post by OR321
You should only do computer science if you REALLY want to. It’s a subject that requires a lot of hard work and you have to fully understand topics to actually do well. Accounting is just as good but a bit more straightforward.

It might sound stupid but i don't really know what i want to do, the thing is computer science looks interesting. I am prepared to put the hard work in but do you think a person that is average at maths can do well in computer science.
Reply 5
Original post by GeekyGit
Accounting every time! :biggrin:

Expand
Reply 6
Original post by student 997
It might sound stupid but i don't really know what i want to do, the thing is computer science looks interesting. I am prepared to put the hard work in but do you think a person that is average at maths can do well in computer science.

What are you doing for A-Levels?
Reply 7
Original post by GeekyGit
What are you doing for A-Levels?

i just finished college doing a Btec

I did A Level computing and there was barely any need for maths even though they say there is. I was good at maths but not at computing, I just couldn’t do programming 😂
Reply 9
Original post by OR321
I did A Level computing and there was barely any need for maths even though they say there is. I was good at maths but not at computing, I just couldn’t do programming 😂

programming is the part i'm interested in. what are you currently studying
programming is the part i'm interested in. what are you currently studying

I’m starting uni in 2 weeks, studying Business Management
Original post by OR321

Degree level is different. You usually requite linear algebra, calculus, probability theory, statistics and discrete mathematics to fully understand computer science topics.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
Degree level is different. You usually requite linear algebra, calculus, probability theory, statistics and discrete mathematics to fully understand computer science topics.

Yeah I get that, but I just have a deep hatred for Computer Science 😂 but OP seems interested so that’s good
Original post by OR321
Yeah I get that, but I just have a deep hatred for Computer Science 😂 but OP seems interested so that’s good

Hahaha fair enough
Unsure of what to do in university. I have no previous knowledge in either of these subjects. My maths skills are pretty average, i achieved a C in maths GCSE. which of these degrees will give me a better career opportunity. i want to go for the computer science degree but because iv heard it requires good maths skills i am hesitant because i don't want to dropout. Do you think i should do computer science?

Do either of the subjects seem interesting to you? I wouldn't do them solely because of the careers because you may end up hating the degree and then end up hating your job. Computer Science at university will be basically a lot of Maths (unless you do something like Applied Computing). Accounting isn't for everyone either but you'll have to love looking at numbers and spreadsheets for the rest of your life...

A lot of other degrees are extremely employable as well. Languages, International Relations, History, Politics, Law, Actuarial Science, Data Science etc.
Original post by OR321
I’m starting uni in 2 weeks, studying Business Management

good luck mate
Original post by TasteLikeChicken

I was average at maths didn't really enjoy it, should I still do computer science
dont do accounting at uni youre wasting your time. do an apprenticeship
I was average at maths didn't really enjoy it, should I still do computer science

Depends. What uni are you looking at for CompSci? Different unis will have different levels of mathematical content, but not all places require A Level Maths. What areas interest you? Different areas have different levels of mathematical prerequisites. You will have to do some maths, but it may be different in a CompSci context, as seeing how and why we use the maths, and seeing it work may make it more interesting.
so is it worth doing at a lower university or not

Quick Reply

Latest