The Student Room Group

Who would you vote for in a Snap general election?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The RAR
Of course Conservatives still stand a chance to win, with Boris Brexit will happen faster and that's what people want but also many people don't want a no-deal, combined with the hate for the Tories in general amongst the public I wouldn't be surprised if Labour won this time.

where is the hate from the public? they are the highest polling party, and boris is the highest polling candidate for PM?

If they were so hated, you would at least expect them to poll 2nd, or 3rd? or if they were really 'hated' maybe last?

The reality is probably that the hate your percieving is in your own enviroment, and isn't represented of what the public thinks as a whole.
If I could vote, it'd be the Tories. Next GE I'll be able to vote in is the May 2022 one.

@Obolinda, we need to wait till 2022 :cry:
Original post by Alexty28
If Labour binned Corbyn and moved more in the 'new' Labour direction again I would vote for them.
Lib Dems are fools with one clear policy and thats to stop Brexit.
Conservatives have BoJo, and I am not a fan, but policy wise they seem to be more my cup of tea at the moment.
What do the Brexit Party want except Brexit again? These so called 'British nationalists' just want to see Britain become an extension of Trumps America.
Change UK ahahahahahahahah Just no just no.
Green Party :pd:

So you want more wars, more immigration and more cuts and privatisation. I guess you must be thrilled with the way Britain’s been run for the lady forty years....🤮
Original post by RazzzBerries
@Obolinda, we need to wait till 2022 :cry:

I have to wait until 2023 until I'm 18! I'll only vote in the May general election in 2024, my birthday is in August(after may). :lol:
Reply 84
Big up the one deluded soul who voted for Change UK on the poll
Original post by The Mogg

😂😂😂

Shortly to renamed the Anna Soubry as Dictator for life party
Libs say Lee has defected so Conservatives don't have a working majority :-0
Reply 87
Original post by Alt Tankie
😂😂😂

Shortly to renamed the Anna Soubry as Dictator for life party

That party has my vote, Soubry all the way!
Original post by The Mogg

Anna Soubry has TSR? 😂.

I was really tempted to put the Monster Raving Loony Party instead of Change UK. 😛
Original post by Obolinda
I have to wait until 2023 until I'm 18! I'll only vote in the May general election in 2024, my birthday is in August(after may). :lol:

Arghh :'(
Do you support corporation taxes, because your argument is basically the same as the one arguing for lowering or abolishing those - which is deeply unpopular amongst the populace.

It seems to me that you support highly unpopular positions and label those with different ideas as extremist the way Antifa label anyone to the right of Ed Miliband a fascist.

In my lifetime I’ve seen ‘mainstream’ parties trash the economy, bring in mass privatisation, launch pointless wars, bring in countless immigration and launch radical social policies... which make your above criticisms look like a drop in the ocean.

There was a typo in my previous post - the figure is £300 billion, not £300 million.

You do understand the difference between taxing income and confiscating assets, don't you? Tax my income by 10% by all means, but take away 10% of what I own and that is fundamentally different, especially if I have saved towards it for fifty years and am about to depend on it for my livelihood. You think removing 10% of everything you own is a drop in the ocean? Ask your parents if they agree that they want to give away 10% of their pension fund.
So you want more wars, more immigration and more cuts and privatisation. I guess you must be thrilled with the way Britain’s been run for the lady forty years....🤮

You seem to have forgotten that the war nobody wanted and the upward lurch in immigration was under Blair - the Labour party.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 92
I honestly don't know who I would vote for, if labour got rid of Corbyn then I would 100% vote them but as that seems highly unlikely I'm not sure what I'll do. I certainly don't want Johnson and his loons in so that rules out conservatives and the other parties I'm not sure of. I think this time, like last GE, I'll probably tactically vote but not sure who for as of yet.
its frustrating because i hate the tories and quite frankly at this point i would take almost anyone over them. but i couldnt vote for labour in the state they’re in, but do any other party stand a chance at defeating the tories? i dont think so.
Original post by fallen_acorns
where is the hate from the public? they are the highest polling party, and boris is the highest polling candidate for PM?

If they were so hated, you would at least expect them to poll 2nd, or 3rd? or if they were really 'hated' maybe last?

The reality is probably that the hate your percieving is in your own enviroment, and isn't represented of what the public thinks as a whole.

I dunno, I am mostly basing my assumptions on the European elections that happened this year, Labour gained more seats than Conservatives but of course I could be wrong since I live in a overwhelmingly Labour supporting area
I would probably back the LibDems but I dislike their constent stop Brexit policy as I think their is more to the country than just Brexit - I voted Conservative last time to kick out the SNP
Original post by Good bloke
There was a typo in my previous post - the figure is £300 billion, not £300 million.

You do understand the difference between taxing income and confiscating assets, don't you? Tax my income by 10% by all means, but take away 10% of what I own and that is fundamentally different, especially if I have saved towards it for fifty years and am about to depend on it for my livelihood. You think removing 10% of everything you own is a drop in the ocean? Ask your parents if they agree that they want to give away 10% of their pension fund.

A mansion tax is taxing assets what about that? Is that extremist?

I think these economic arguments are petty and and subjective. As you’re so fascinated by what my parents think, it wouldn’t effect them as my dad works for the public sector and my mum has barely any pension savings anyway and plans on selling her house to make ends meet.

As for me I would love an extra £500 or shares in the company I work for and would love the government to do something about making rent and housing more affordable. If that’s extremist to Tories, landlords and large businesses then tough 👍🏻

Out of interest, what’s your stance on Brexit?
Original post by Good bloke
You seem to have forgotten that the war nobody wanted and the upward lurch in immigration was under Blair - the Labour party.

I haven’t forgotten anything this was Vehemently opposed by the clique running the Labour Party now, which is supported by the membership which you seem to oppose.

These policies were also supported by the Tory party at the time. Thanks to Corbyn (and Nigel Farage) people are finally getting a choice in their elections for once
Original post by The RAR
I dunno, I am mostly basing my assumptions on the European elections that happened this year, Labour gained more seats than Conservatives but of course I could be wrong since I live in a overwhelmingly Labour supporting area

Yeah, that was because May had betrayed Brexit though. In May (when your thinking of) we were an average of about 3% behind but all 4 parties had similar vote shares (so in an election, we'd have been crushed) whereas in August we have averaged a 9% lead (which is a modest majority).

The question for any election is do the Tories lose more to the Brx Party than Lab do to the Lib Dem's. Currently the strong suggestion is that the Lib Dem's are well ahead of 2017 while the Brx Party vote is falling (hence larger leads for the Tories).
Probably Lib Dem’s. couldn’t pay me to vote Tory but the Labour Party is a mess atm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending