The Student Room Group

Man who stole $50 to be freed after 36 years in US jail

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aaryra
No way to really prove that I’m afraid.

Or more likely it doesn't serve your point and so you refuse to accept this obvious truth.

And in England at least, the conviction for black people is in fact the lowest of any ethnic group.
Original post by Notoriety
Or more likely it doesn't serve your point and so you refuse to accept this obvious truth.

And in England at least, the conviction for black people is in fact the lowest of any ethnic group.

Cool. Unfortunately, we’re discussing an incident that happened in America, so your point isn’t really relevant here.
Original post by Aaryra
Cool. Unfortunately, we’re discussing an incident that happened in America, so your point isn’t really relevant here.

It happened in Alabama in the 1980s. I can't find any stats on this, so I am not sure where you got yours.

Or do we need only strictly relevant evidence when it goes against the points you're making?
It happened in Alabama in the 1980s. I can't find any stats on this, so I am not sure where you got yours.

Or do we need only strictly relevant evidence when it goes against the points you're making?

I'm surprised you're so against evidence when you tend to be the one to always telling people off and demanding it yourself.
Original post by Aaryra
I'm surprised you're so against evidence when you tend to be the one to always telling people off and demanding it yourself.

You speculated; I speculated alongside you using actual examples.
You speculated; I speculated alongside you using actual examples.

You don’t agree that black people in the US, especially black men are more likely to be charged and convicted?
This is so upsetting. All that time wasted, just for taking £50. As others have pointed out, far harsher criminals get off easier than that.
Original post by Aaryra
You don’t agree that black people in the US, especially black men are more likely to be charged and convicted?

The first issue is "in the US". You need state specific stats. I don't know what the story in Alabama is. I know that there is, to this day, a very high number of black victims of crime living in predominantly black neighbourhoods and that black people from those neighbourhoods are very often the offenders. I don't know what the conviction rate by ethnicity is, nor what it was in the 1980s.

If you look at some places in the US, then some places have an equal conviction rate by race and some have a slight disparity and some have a huge disparity.

But suppose it's true that the conviction rate is higher by 3%, the actual number of arrests and charges are not 3% greater for the black community. The disparity is much greater than this. Racism is not the likely explanation for the increased number of offences recorded for black people; it is much more likely that an increased rate of offending in the black community is the actual cause of the increased number of recorded offences for black people.

E.g. look at the victims of murder: predominantly black from predominantly poor black neighbourhoods. The reason that the murderers are predominantly black in Alabama is that they are from the same neighbourhood and leading the same life of poverty and lack of opportunity as the victims of the murders; and it is not because the police officers just happen to be racist.
Reply 68
Original post by naem071
The three strikes laws have not reduced levels of violent crime (ACLU research), they disproportionally target black men in deprived neighbourhoods and derail any efforts to rehabilitate.

False premises all the way, can I just ask what would be proportionate? A prison population that faithfully reflects the make up of the country, with a perfect match for all ethnic groups and social orientations? We'd end up with some of them being let go because that group's quota has been reached already and potentially the framing of people in under-performing categories, all worded up and managed by this leftist manipulative narrative.

Bogus arguments, the ACLU turn them into a racially loaded situation because that's what they make a living out of when not bashing Trump. The Disproportion argument only works if you name what would be Proportionally acceptable. What would that be then?
Reply 69
Original post by thebeatles123
This is so upsetting. All that time wasted, just for taking £50. As others have pointed out, far harsher criminals get off easier than that.

And this is how the manipulative media can create an entirely false narrative that people who go by the headlines alone fall for. There will be thousands, if not more, people reciting that message above even if it isn't real. That goes for just about 2/3 of everything in public discourse, it's all a misconception.
America is a mess
Original post by AngeryPenguin
And yet the West is held as the pinnacle of human freedom, as though China is the only one cruel enough to lock prisoners away.

Court records say Kennard was sentenced to life under Alabama’s Habitual Felony Offender Act also known as the “three strikes law” for stealing from a bakery. Kennard had previously served three years’ probation for burglary and grand larceny, making him eligible to be sentenced to life without parole under the act.

Read a book.
Reply 72
Original post by -Eirlys-
An Alabama judge has ordered that a man who robbed a bakery of $50.75 be released from his life sentence.

Instead of reporting it as 'robbed a bakery at knife-point', the amount is slipped in with the slanted intention of downplaying the importance of the incident. It doesn't take a qualified psychologist, surely we can all see that. It's in little things like that we can tell the bias, whether it is involuntary or not will be better known by these 'journalists''.

It always begs the question, how much would it take for it to become serious? The way they frame these things, the politically motivated apologists often invoke the small amounts as some form of mitigating circumstance, as if it wasn't that serious to hold somebody at knife-point if they don't happen to be have a serious amount on them. Of course it is a fatuous argument over a wider front and of course they know it too, that's why they have to massage the real picture in order to convince anybody.

I wouldn't oppose the three-strike system, there's an army of career criminals walking the streets making other people's lives a misery. Their rights and excuses are vastly represented by another army of apologists making equally fatuous arguments (prison doesn't work, one of them), they may well be very nice people but the problem with leftism is the law of the unwanted consequences and that's where trusting them with positions of power is as wise as trusting a piranha fish with your finger. Boris should go for broke and add it to the Tory manifesto, the grassroots would love it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending