The Student Room Group

Suggestions needed.

Is maths, sociology and psychology an acceptable combination in a level to further study psychology as major?
Original post by Samiahh
Is maths, sociology and psychology an acceptable combination in a level to further study psychology as major?

Drop Math !!! It will affect your grades .. You can replace Math with [ Philosophy Or Law]...
It’s fine you only need psychology
Original post by La dracu
Drop Math !!! It will affect your grades .. You can replace Math with [ Philosophy Or Law]...

Maybe she's smart enough to do well? Not everyone has to be a failure at maths as long as they work hard and maths is a very respected subject. Though it is very tough so Biology might be a better choice for Psychology- it's not necessary but it's more suited towards Psychology and somewhat easier though not easy from what I heard.
Reply 4
Original post by La dracu

But most universities prefer maths over law/philosophy?
Original post by Samiahh
But most universities prefer maths over law/philosophy?

Yes but his point is that Maths is very difficult and you might get an AAA offer and maths might make this impossible because it is so hard. Maths helps you but in a very minimal capacity because it's not an essential for psychology meaning the risk is high (as you could fail your offer because of it) whilst the benefit is low (as it's very unlikely anyone would ever refuse you an offer because you don't have maths). As a separate point, don't chose law because it's an utterly useless A-Level, it's not needed for any degree. I'll again suggest Biology because it's helpful whilst applying for psychology.
Original post by Samiahh

Some universities require that you take up to 2-3 subjects from a predefined list (which usually includes the core science subjects, psychology and maths), so having maths will help you apply to better unis. Its also a very useful subject to study.
Reply 7
Original post by iammichealjackson
Some universities require that you take up to 2-3 subjects from a predefined list (which usually includes the core science subjects, psychology and maths), so having maths will help you apply to better unis. Its also a very useful subject to study.

Thank you so much ❤️
Reply 8
Original post by Samiahh
Thank you so much ❤️

Original post by iammichealjackson

Psychology, sociolgy and biology. Is this combo okay?
Original post by Samiahh

Hi.

Im not a psychology graduate but certainly maths with statistics 1 and 2 will GO A LONG WAY in making you a competent psychometrician.

Just keep it in mind, with hard work, you could pull of a good grade in math.

I think a lot of psychology programs have statistical research methods and data analysis.
Statistics 1 + 2 WOULD GO A LOONG way in making you quite competent. People undermine the VALUE of A level maths. The basics go a very long way. To this day, Im jealous of those who had a rigourous grasp of A level maths especially statistics 1 and 2. Which is quite important and relevant to any pyschological research (or any field which collects data).

As a good psychologist, youre probably expected to be competent in distributions, mean, mode, variance, expectation, things of those sorts.
And A level stats is good for learning the basics of these quite rigourously, whereas in university youll just kind of gloss over them. Yep.

BTW: Most data scientists nowadays could not solve most of A LEVEL statistics past papers alone. Yeah, people have no idea or firm grasp of the basics, and A level gives you strong fundamentals.

Maths A level with stats 1 and 2 == quite a good foundation in basic statistics and data analysis.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by tHe237046
Hi.

Im not a psychology graduate but certainly maths with statistics 1 and 2 will GO A LONG WAY in making you a competent psychometrician.

I think a lot of psychology programs have statistical research methods and data analysis.
Statistics 1 + 2 WOULD GO A LOONG way in making you quite competent. People undermine the VALUE of A level maths. The basics go a very long way. To this day, Im jealous of those who had a rigourous grasp of A level maths especially statistics 1 and 2. Which is quite important and relevant to any pyschological research (or any field which collects data).

As a good psychologist, youre probably expected to be competent in distributions, mean, mode, variance, expectation, things of those sorts.
And A level stats is good for learning the basics of these quite rigourously, whereas in university youll just kind of gloss over them. Yep.

BTW: Most data scientists nowadays could not solve most of A LEVEL statistics past papers alone. Yeah, people have no idea or firm grasp of the basics, and A level gives you strong fundamentals.

Maths A level with stats 1 and 2 == quite a good foundation in basic statistics and data analysis.

But can't we take bio instead of maths cz it's very difficult to score in a level maths? Would it not be a good combo psychology, sociology and biology?
Original post by Samiahh
But can't we take bio instead of maths cz it's very difficult to score in a level maths? Would it not be a good combo psychology, sociology and biology?

Very difficult for whom? Now this is the part where I fear and Ill have to tell you its your life and dont wreck it because of my idealistic advice.

Maybe you can get quite good at mathematics? I know many people who got A and B in A level maths by practicing the past papers and working hard.

Nothing good in life ever came easy and I know this is your future and life.

So you can not take math, but I wouldnt give up this chance, I can promise you, youll never have the time to learn the basics of maths and statistics as well as now, because in higher ed youll have some more subjects.

Please dont take my advice too seriously and dont fret too much over it. There are advantages and disadvantages, speak with others and your tutors and HE institutes. Thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by tHe237046
Hi.

It's a shame you can't do a level statistics at most high schools. But i agree. With A level maths and stats 1 & 2, you'll probably have a better grasp on statistics than 95% of psychology grads, where you mostly get taught how to apply statistics. For doing a psych phd I think maths is probably the most useful subject i've learnt at high school!

Original post by Samiahh

I agree that maths is probably one of the most useful A level subjects you can take, for psychology, and lots of other degrees too.

But if you hate it, and would rather do biology, its better to have an A in biology than a C in Maths I guess. But i believe with enough extra practice anyone can do a level maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending