This discussion is closed.
Sylv-K
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I am currently in year 13 over the summer I completed my UCAT test which I will use to apply to medicine, however my score isn't as I hoped it would be. I ended up scoring a total of 2060. I am debating whether to apply for medicine with this score. I know the chances of me getting in are low , but I don't know what else to do as I am not as invested in other university courses.
Last edited by Sylv-K; 1 year ago
Bio,Chem,Maths
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
I am no expert but the score is on the lower side. Maybe try the BMAT or try applying to unis that don't particularly look at UCAT. What was your Band in Situational Judgement? Sometimes that helps unis decide.
Frah1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sylv-K)
Hi I am currently in year 13 over the summer I completed my UCAT test which I will use to apply to medicine, however my score isn't as I hoped it would be. I ended up scoring a total of 2060. I am debating whether to apply for medicine with this score. I know the chances of me getting in are low , but I don't know what else to do as I am not as invested in other university courses.
In my opinion, I think you should still apply. This is because I was in a similar situation last year as I did not do too well in my UKCAT. I was too worried to even apply. So I decided to do the BMAT in which I performed worse as I did not revise at all due to all the A Levels pressure at the time.
So, I finally applied for 2 med schools using my BMAT and 2 using my UKCAT. I ended up getting 2 interview offers from both of my UKCAT unis.
This also means you should not compare last year's UKCAT scores as the threshold changes every year. Last year, fortunately, the threshold was lower than in other years. So, I am glad that I ended up applying. Also, remember that the UKCAT is an important part of the application process but there are other important things too such as your academics and personal statement. Also, remember to apply strategically. But, yes, do have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. I hope this helps. Good luck.
vinoja2002
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I also have a low ukcat score of 2330 and my predicted grades were ABB. I was wondering on what unis that I should apply for. If you provide with the names of the unis that you applied for with the ukcat it would very helpful.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Guys go on the 'Am I good enough for medicine' megathread - people there know things like historical UKCAT cut offs etc that will help you decide.
DK :)
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vinoja2002)
Hi, I also have a low ukcat score of 2330 and my predicted grades were ABB. I was wondering on what unis that I should apply for. If you provide with the names of the unis that you applied for with the ukcat it would very helpful.
im in the same boat as u got the same ucat score and dont know where to apply someone helppp
sm_1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bio,Chem,Maths)
Hi,
I am no expert but the score is on the lower side. Maybe try the BMAT or try applying to unis that don't particularly look at UCAT. What was your Band in Situational Judgement? Sometimes that helps unis decide.
I’m resiting the yr because of mitigating circumstances and i’m predicted A*A*A*.
I was initially planning to take a gap yr and apply with my A-level results. I’ve recently done my ucat exam and did horribly here’s the breakdown for each section:

Verbal reasoning-440 (horrendous 😞)
Decision making-560
Quantitative reasoning-580
Abstract reasoning-550
Situational judgement-Band 3

I need help with what to do because I don’t know what to do anymore 😞😞
DK :)
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frah1)
In my opinion, I think you should still apply. This is because I was in a similar situation last year as I did not do too well in my UKCAT. I was too worried to even apply. So I decided to do the BMAT in which I performed worse as I did not revise at all due to all the A Levels pressure at the time.
So, I finally applied for 2 med schools using my BMAT and 2 using my UKCAT. I ended up getting 2 interview offers from both of my UKCAT unis.
This also means you should not compare last year's UKCAT scores as the threshold changes every year. Last year, fortunately, the threshold was lower than in other years. So, I am glad that I ended up applying. Also, remember that the UKCAT is an important part of the application process but there are other important things too such as your academics and personal statement. Also, remember to apply strategically. But, yes, do have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. I hope this helps. Good luck.
what unis gave u offers? which interviews did u go to? which uni r u at currently? plz helppp as i got score of 2330 thankss
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have only a few days to make this decision - you are leaving it very late!
yumemi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frah1)
Where did u apply to?
Frah1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yumemi)
Where did u apply to?
Bristol, Keele, Oxford, BSMS. But in my opinion you are leaving it too late. But don't be afraid as there is still time so make sure you make informed decisions. Good luck.
Last edited by Frah1; 1 year ago
sweetietweetie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frah1)
Bristol, Keele, Oxford, BSMS. But in my opinion you are leaving it too late. But don't be afraid as there is still time so make sure you make informed decisions. Good luck.
what exactly did you get on UCAT tho pls?
Frah1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2538 and STJ BAND 1
vinoja2002
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sm_1)
I’m resiting the yr because of mitigating circumstances and i’m predicted A*A*A*.
I was initially planning to take a gap yr and apply with my A-level results. I’ve recently done my ucat exam and did horribly here’s the breakdown for each section:

Verbal reasoning-440 (horrendous 😞)
Decision making-560
Quantitative reasoning-580
Abstract reasoning-550
Situational judgement-Band 3

I need help with what to do because I don’t know what to do anymore 😞😞
First, don't panic even if your UCAT is in the lower end, you have exceptional a level predictions, apply your unis and then maybe go through clearing if your a level grades are good as your predicted ones. Don't lose hope, you can do it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (609)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (756)
41.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.43%

Watched Threads