The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JDWaugh17
Hi again, do you suggest getting a printer or is the prices quite cheap at Lancaster?

Hello,
I had a printer in first year and in second year I used campus services. It depends whether you're going to print your lecture slides.
In terms of assignments, the majority will be online so you'll be fine using the LU Print services for the few odd pieces here and there.
You can find printing costs here: https://answers.lancaster.ac.uk/display/ISS/Printing+costs
However, if you think you'll like to print off all your lecture slides etc then it'll be worth getting a printer. Please note that you can't connect your printer over the wifi!
Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
My daughter has secured a place through clearing but today received an email saying she will have to organise accommodation off site. This has really worried her (and us) as staying on campus was a huge part of what she was expecting from University life. She's considering withdrawing her place and trying to go back into clearing. I don't know what to advise. Is there anyone else in this situation and how are you feeling about the prospect of living off site?
Original post by Christinejbw
My daughter has secured a place through clearing but today received an email saying she will have to organise accommodation off site. This has really worried her (and us) as staying on campus was a huge part of what she was expecting from University life. She's considering withdrawing her place and trying to go back into clearing. I don't know what to advise. Is there anyone else in this situation and how are you feeling about the prospect of living off site?

I live in Lancaster. There's some amazing uni accommodation in the town centre, she won't be missing out. Some are still finished being constructed but will be open for next month. There's student pubs and clubs in town and buses to campus are every 5 mins.
Original post by Christinejbw

Hello,
Unfortunately this is one of the risks of going through Clearing in general but I understand if this is a deal breaker for you!
There are some students going through the same thing here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5913488&p=84831460&page=3#post84831460
The majority of students live in town. Most first years and in general internationals from second year and so on live on campus but the majority of other second and third years live in town and the town will be full of students. Areas like: Bowerham and near Prospect street are student heavy and easy to get to uni and the town, as well as living in town itself. Another advantage is that it will be a lot cheaper. In freshers week she can will still be fully involved, with the added bonus of not having to travel all the way back to campus and her freshers rep should help her and get her involved (the colleges work hard to involve all off campus students). It's about 10 minutes to campus so she'll never be too far and in terms of lectures it'll be no issue at all.
I understand it'll still be daunting but I know the majority of students prefer living off campus. Let me know if you have any questions, practical or otherwise that I can help you with!
In second year, do you pick your seminar times like in first year, or are they randomly allocated? I'm studying history. Thanks in advance!
Hi there, do we get put in touch with the people we will be sharing halls with before arriving in Lancaster?
Original post by larkspurs
In second year, do you pick your seminar times like in first year, or are they randomly allocated? I'm studying history. Thanks in advance!

Hello!
In welcome week you'll enrol onto your modules and then you'll pick them online (or at least from my experience). However, if your course is small there might be no choice, but since people often do minors, most people pick their seminars to ensure everything fits!
Hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions,
Original post by Gibbo6354
Hi there, do we get put in touch with the people we will be sharing halls with before arriving in Lancaster?

Hello,
No the university won't personally but if you have a look on various groups on Facebook you can connect with people in the same college and building as you but you won't know who you're living with until you get there!
Hi! How does the admissions process work with the colleges? Are you admitted to the university as a whole and then they try to fit everyone into their preferred colleges as best as they can or do colleges select who they would prefer out of the applicants?
Original post by quirkster42
Hi! How does the admissions process work with the colleges? Are you admitted to the university as a whole and then they try to fit everyone into their preferred colleges as best as they can or do colleges select who they would prefer out of the applicants?

Hello!
You apply for the course you're interested in and then in about June(ish) then you get asked to apply for your accommodation. You'll also apply for your college as well then. You get a choice to pick what's more important to you (accommodation or college) and then you'll get confirmation after results day. Colleges don't 'reject' students but rather just try fit people into the accommodation that they want.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions,
How likely is it that we will be allocated the college we requested, if we didnt apply for accommodation?
Original post by Anonymous
How likely is it that we will be allocated the college we requested, if we didnt apply for accommodation?

Hello!
Is this because you're living off campus? I think very likely :smile:
Charlotte
Yes, living off campus. I applied to the same college as a friend and we'd like to be able to get together at uni and do the same social activities etc. We are just feeling a bit anxious about college allocation.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, living off campus. I applied to the same college as a friend and we'd like to be able to get together at uni and do the same social activities etc. We are just feeling a bit anxious about college allocation.

Hopefully you should get it, I can't see why you wouldn't! Even if you're not in the same college, a lot of the social activities will be mixed between colleges (for example some clubbing nights will be three colleges at once or some talks will be a few colleges at once) so you'll hopefully be able to do some together.
Hi, I’d like to apply for BSc Computer Science 2020 but I do not meet the gcse maths requirement (grade 6) I have a grade 5.
Would you still recommend me to apply?
Original post by CS1234CS
Hi, I’d like to apply for BSc Computer Science 2020 but I do not meet the gcse maths requirement (grade 6) I have a grade 5.
Would you still recommend me to apply?

Yes I would definitely recommend you do apply and you can email admissions directly to see what they say: [email protected]
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Yes I would definitely recommend you do apply and you can email admissions directly to see what they say: [email protected]

Hii I'm planning to study Biological Science in 2020. Quick question, how are you finding your degree so far ?
Can I have a link to the bedsheets, protector and bed topper I need to buy for a standard room in Pendle as it is not single, but not double.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JDWaugh17
Can I have a link to the bedsheets, protector and bed topper I need to buy for a standard room in Pendle as it is not single, but not double.

Me too please, superior ensuite in Fylde - I really need to know if the bed is standard length or 2100mm please.
Original post by siamsam
Me too please, superior ensuite in Fylde - I really need to know if the bed is standard length or 2100mm please.

Hello,
Please email Fylde accommodation directly for the measurements: [email protected]
They should be able to tell you for certain!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending