The Student Room Group

UCL or reapply to Cambridge?

Hi,

I'm an international student from Bangladesh. I hold an offer from UCL to study Astrophysics MSci but got rejected by Cambridge last year before the interview. I applied to Trinity College to study Nat Sci (Physical) by the way. They mentioned in the feedback that the rejection was due to my 89% in AS Level Maths. I received my A Level (CAIE) results last month:

Maths - A* (96%)
Physics - A* (93%)
Chemistry - A* (92%)
Biology - A* (93%)
Further Maths - A (82%) (Wasn't offered by my school, had to self-study.)
(Graduated with distinction, rank #3)

I feel like my results are too good for UCL. Should I ask them to release me so that I can reapply to Cambridge?

I know there's a certain risk associated with reapplying, I might get rejected from both unis next time. Still, I'm ready to take the risk. My only real concern is the Cambridge Trust Scholarship. Even though it's part-cost, I'll need it. Do I need to firm Cambridge (if I get accepted) to apply for the scholarship? I'm asking this because I had to firm UCL to apply for their Denys Holland Scholarship. If yes, then I won't be able to study in the UK at all if my scholarship application gets rejected! As I have my final grades, I'll have to go to Cambridge (as I firmed it), which I won't be able to afford. Their website doesn't mention anything about firming though. Does anyone have any idea about the process? Also, how hard is it to get the scholarship if I prove that I have a genuine financial need?

On the other hand, my mum is convincing me to go to UCL because she thinks my gap year will be 'wasted'. But I heard that the teaching in UCL is really bad and the libraries are overcrowded. I also heard that the physics department in UCL isn't very good. Can someone please shed some light on this? These are the main reasons I don't wanna go to UCL.

I'm literally torn between these two decisions, please help me! And thanks in advance for reading my rather lengthy post!

EDIT: I got 7 A*s and 3 As in IGCSE, if that's relevant.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
UCL is a great university. If you reapply to Cambridge, there’s no telling whether or not you’ll get an offer. You have amazing grades but there’s more to it than that. I’d take UCL; it’s by no means a loss.

However, if you’re convinced you’d hate it there’s no point going. But you won’t know if you don’t go.
Reply 3
Original post by Aaryra
UCL is a great university. If you reapply to Cambridge, there’s no telling whether or not you’ll get an offer. You have amazing grades but there’s more to it than that. I’d take UCL; it’s by no means a loss.

However, if you’re convinced you’d hate it there’s no point going. But you won’t know if you don’t go.

I don't hate it but if the teaching quality is really that bad as everyone says, I don't think I would want to waste my money on it.
I definitely think, with your grades and determination, that Cambridge shouldn't have a reason to reject you again. It's just my opinion, but take the gap year, get some relevant work experience to boost your personal statement, and reapply to Cambridge.

Can't help you with your scholarship issue though, apologies.
UCL is a great university nevertheless, you can always apply to Cambridge to complete masters if you want.

But it’s your call, all upto you!
Reply 6
Original post by afterwaves
I definitely think, with your grades and determination, that Cambridge shouldn't have a reason to reject you again. It's just my opinion, but take the gap year, get some relevant work experience to boost your personal statement, and reapply to Cambridge.

Can't help you with your scholarship issue though, apologies.

I literally had to live like a hermit over the last two years and all I got is an offer from a **** uni and a rejection letter...
Reply 7
If anyone knows about the teaching quality in the physics department of UCL, please let me know!
Original post by ifahad64
I literally had to live like a hermit over the last two years and all I got is an offer from a **** uni and a rejection letter...

I don't think UCL is a bad uni per se - it just depends on what you want to do. There are definitely better places for Physics, one of them being Cambridge.

I wouldn’t call UCL ****

I wouldn't go to university at all with your disgusting attitude. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Stefanidi
I wouldn't go to university at all with your disgusting attitude. Hope this helps! :smile:

Sorry, I'm just really anxious. It's already late and I still can't make a decision!
Sorry, I'm just really anxious. It's already late and I still can't make a decision!

A lot of students have worked so hard to get to somewhere like UCL, which is top 10 and top 20 in a lot of worldwide rankings, so for you to be so derogatory about it is a big slap in the face.
Reply 13
I feel like you've got that elitist attitude that would fit in well with Cambridge :wink: UCL is by no means a rubbish uni, is internationally recognised and in London where there's lots of opportunities.
Realistically, your grades are definitely good enough for Cambridge. I don't think it's an incredible risk to wait it out and reapply.
Just don't end up somewhere and regret what you've chosen I guess.
Original post by Stefanidi
A lot of students have worked so hard to get to somewhere like UCL, which is top 10 and top 20 in a lot of worldwide rankings, so for you to be so derogatory about it is a big slap in the face.

its 8th in world rankings
you're the first person i've heard that say ucl is a "rubbish uni" wtf what kind of attitude is that
Original post by hibr1
its 8th in world rankings

Yep in QS and 14th in THE.
Reply 17
Okay, I get it. Now would you please stop? And I've already seen the rankings, just because it's ranked 8 worldwide doesn't mean everything about it is gonna be good. More than anything else, I care about the teaching and I've only heard bad reports about UCL professors and administration. So although calling it a 'rubbish uni' was definitely an exaggeration, it isn't very far from that in terms of teaching.
Okay, I get it. Now would you please stop? And I've already seen the rankings, just because it's ranked 8 worldwide doesn't mean everything about it is gonna be good. More than anything else, I care about the teaching and I've only heard bad reports about UCL professors and administration. So although calling it a 'rubbish uni' was definitely an exaggeration, it isn't very far from that in terms of teaching.

you've already been given advice though? either take the risk and reapply to cambridge if you believe ucl has rubbish teaching quality or stick with ucl

good luck mate

I'm confused. People, including myself, have already given our opinions. I'm not sure what more you'd want? It's your choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending