The Student Room Group

Woodhouse or St Dom's?

Hi there,
I've got two offers at both Woodhouse and st Dom's, I'm aware that st Dom's start tomorrow but I'm still quite undecided on where to go.
I've gone to the St Dom's enrollment days and really enjoyed it, whereas Woodhouse I've only gone to today with the expectation that I'd be going there instead but it felt quite isolating? They started the courses earlier this week and I already feel like I've missed out quite a bit, plus everyone's already off with their own friend groups. I understand that being social is not the main aim of college but I think I felt more comfortable in that regards at st Dom's. The only thing keeping me are the art grades at st Dom's from last year (48% A*-B against 96% A*-B at woodhouse) which really had me thinking whether I'd prefer to possibly risk some grades just to be comfortable. I'm taking art, biology and classics by the way, and honestly I'd appreciate any advice, especially if you know/knew someone doing art at either college and how their experience was like. I plan on doing archaeology and/or fine art at uni so the art a-level is quite important to me.
Thank you for your time!
Reply 1
Original post by Grenul
Hi there,
I've got two offers at both Woodhouse and st Dom's, I'm aware that st Dom's start tomorrow but I'm still quite undecided on where to go.
I've gone to the St Dom's enrollment days and really enjoyed it, whereas Woodhouse I've only gone to today with the expectation that I'd be going there instead but it felt quite isolating? They started the courses earlier this week and I already feel like I've missed out quite a bit, plus everyone's already off with their own friend groups. I understand that being social is not the main aim of college but I think I felt more comfortable in that regards at st Dom's. The only thing keeping me are the art grades at st Dom's from last year (48% A*-B against 96% A*-B at woodhouse) which really had me thinking whether I'd prefer to possibly risk some grades just to be comfortable. I'm taking art, biology and classics by the way, and honestly I'd appreciate any advice, especially if you know/knew someone doing art at either college and how their experience was like. I plan on doing archaeology and/or fine art at uni so the art a-level is quite important to me.
Thank you for your time!

Well you are going to be spending two whole years in A Levels so there isn't much point going to a college where you feel as though you are not comfortable or able to be yourself.
The grades for art are higher at Woodhouse but, that 48% that got A*-B at Doms must have been students that really put in effort and work both in and out of school. If you are really passionate about Art, the work should come a bit more easily meaning you will be able to achieve the grade you want because you don't mind putting in that hard work to get there.
On the other hand, I know how it may seem that everyone has their friendship groups in Woodhouse already but, after a while, you will find friends to hang with. It will obviously take a bit of time to settle into Woodhouse but, if you feel like you are more comfortable at Doms, I would say that you should go there instead.

I am currently in Year 13 and studying Biology - advice for that is staying on top of your work and I have a friend who does Art. She also says that a lot of time does go into that subject so, you are right in saying that college is less of a social thing but, you want to make sure that you do have a good group of friends that are doing similar subjects to you because, if you ever need help, it is useful to have them around.

I would also suggest speaking to your parents to see what they think.

Hope this helps :smile:
(If you need anything else, you can message me)
Reply 2
Original post by Ru_shahh
Well you are going to be spending two whole years in A Levels so there isn't much point going to a college where you feel as though you are not comfortable or able to be yourself.
The grades for art are higher at Woodhouse but, that 48% that got A*-B at Doms must have been students that really put in effort and work both in and out of school. If you are really passionate about Art, the work should come a bit more easily meaning you will be able to achieve the grade you want because you don't mind putting in that hard work to get there.
On the other hand, I know how it may seem that everyone has their friendship groups in Woodhouse already but, after a while, you will find friends to hang with. It will obviously take a bit of time to settle into Woodhouse but, if you feel like you are more comfortable at Doms, I would say that you should go there instead.

I am currently in Year 13 and studying Biology - advice for that is staying on top of your work and I have a friend who does Art. She also says that a lot of time does go into that subject so, you are right in saying that college is less of a social thing but, you want to make sure that you do have a good group of friends that are doing similar subjects to you because, if you ever need help, it is useful to have them around.

I would also suggest speaking to your parents to see what they think.

Hope this helps :smile:
(If you need anything else, you can message me)

Thank you for replying! I'll be speaking with my parents today to see their opinion as well. Appreciate it!
they are both very far. where abouts are you located. i know where st doms is and its about 30 minutes from me where as woodhouse is an 1 hour and 30 minutes they are two completely different locations
Reply 4
Original post by onyi anita
they are both very far. where abouts are you located. i know where st doms is and its about 30 minutes from me where as woodhouse is an 1 hour and 30 minutes they are two completely different locations

I live in Barnet, so Woodhouse is approximately 40 minutes away while St Doms is about an hour.
personally i would go for woodhouse. my friend went to doms and she had a great time but didn't do as well as she could have. she also said they dont help much with personal statements etc which i think is important xx
I started yr12 at woodhouse this week and I really like it here. This week is mostly induction week so you haven’t missed much, although I don’t know particularly about your subjects. And tbh people are still making friends. You can hang out with people in your tutor class and make friends that way, that’s what I did so now I’ve become friends with my classmates’ old friends. I think everyone feels uncomfortable at first but you’ll eventually find people to hang out with so I wouldn’t worry too much. On my first day I sat by myself for two hours (for lunch and my free period) but by the next day I had four new friends who I hung out with so you’ll make friends quite quickly. I hope this helps in your decision!
Reply 7
Thank you both for replying! I think first-day jitters really got to me but I'll be mulling over all of this so really appreciate your input! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending