The Student Room Group

A level further maths help!!!

Please help me I am so confused with how to work out the new equations for each question anyone please help me
71C4A4F9-2D4A-44BE-949C-4239A40DDA92.jpg.jpeg
41165B24-AAB1-47E1-874E-497F73CD98DF.jpg.jpeg that picture wasn’t very clear
Original post by Rae5
that picture wasn’t very clear

Q1

The new equation will have roots αβ\dfrac{\alpha}{\beta} and βα\dfrac{\beta}{\alpha}.

So, this means the new equation will be
x2(αβ+βα)x+αββαx^2 - \left( \dfrac{\alpha}{\beta} + \dfrac{\beta}{\alpha} \right)x + \dfrac{\alpha}{\beta} \dfrac{ \beta }{\alpha}...

agreed?

Your goal is to express αβ+βα\dfrac{\alpha}{\beta} + \dfrac{ \beta }{\alpha} and αββα \dfrac{\alpha}{\beta}\dfrac{ \beta }{\alpha} in terms of α+β\alpha + \beta and αβ\alpha \beta because you know those from part (a) and so you can just sub those numbers in and simplify the coefficients to nice numbers!

Obviously, the constant term αββα \dfrac{\alpha}{\beta} \dfrac{ \beta}{\alpha} is just 1 so we don't even need to work on this one.

But for αβ+βα \dfrac{\alpha}{\beta} + \dfrac{\beta}{\alpha} you want to first combine it into a single fraction α2+β2αβ\dfrac{\alpha^2 + \beta^2}{\alpha \beta} and the denominator is already good for us. Just deal with the numerator... what's α2+β2\alpha^2 + \beta^2 in terms of α+β\alpha + \beta and αβ\alpha \beta ??

Same approach to all questions.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Rae5
41165B24-AAB1-47E1-874E-497F73CD98DF.jpg.jpeg that picture wasn’t very clear

If a quadratic has roots α3β+1\alpha^{3}\beta+1 and αβ3+1\alpha\beta^{3}+1 then you can work in reverse. What I mean by this is for example x2+5x+4=0x^2+5x+4=0 has roots 4 and 1, we know this by factorising to get (x+1)(x+4)=0(x+1)(x+4)=0

So we can work in reverse, we know the brackets will be (x+α3β+1)(x+αβ3+1)(x+\alpha^{3}\beta+1)(x+\alpha \beta^{3}+1). So you can expand this out to get the equation.

You should probably stick your values for alpha and beta in before you expand, otherwise it'll get messy. Then once you expand these brackets you'll arrive at a quadratic that has those roots, and you know this because at the start you put these as the roots.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AdamCor
If a quadratic has roots α3β+1\alpha^{3}\beta+1 and αβ3+1\alpha\beta^{3}+1 then you can work in reverse. What I mean by this is for example x2+5x+4=0x^2+5x+4=0 has roots 4 and 1, we know this by factorising to get (x+1)(x+4)=0(x+1)(x+4)=0
Your example is somewhat unrealistic; it is the norm for the polynomials in these questions to be chosen so that the roots are "nasty". For example, for the actual polynomial in the question (x^2+2x-5), the roots are 1±6-1 \pm \sqrt{6}. Although it's still possible to calculate α3β+1\alpha^3\beta + 1 etc. directly, it's going to be fairly tedious.

Instead, if we consider the new roots to be γ=α3β+1\gamma = \alpha^{3}\beta+1 and δ=αβ3+1\delta = \alpha\beta^{3}+1, we need only find γ+δ\gamma + \delta and γδ\gamma\delta to be able to write down the new quadratic.

Since we can rewrite to get γ+δ=αβ(α2+β2)+2\gamma + \delta = \alpha\beta(\alpha^2+\beta^2) + 2, all we really need to do is the (hopefully familiar by now) calculation to find α2+β2\alpha^2 + \beta^2 in terms of α+β\alpha+\beta and αβ\alpha\beta. The calculation of γδ\gamma\delta is even easier (once you've found \gamma+\delta).

You should probably stick your values for alpha and beta in before you expand, otherwise it'll get messy. Then once you expand these brackets you'll arrive at a quadratic that has those roots, and you know this because at the start you put these as the roots.
Again, this is usually going to be one of the more unpleasant ways of solving the problem. [It also fails *hard* if you ever need to do a problem for a cubic / quartic where the roots don't come out easily].

Quick Reply

Latest