The Student Room Group

Is anyone else doing a HPQ?

I was just wondering if anyone else was doing a HPQ at GCSE level this year?
I did one while I was in Y10 (I'm now Y11) and it is time consuming, but it isn't too hard to score marks, just the production log feels like a really big drag
Original post by JScooper888
I did one while I was in Y10 (I'm now Y11) and it is time consuming, but it isn't too hard to score marks, just the production log feels like a really big drag

How long is the duration of the qualification?
Original post by SlightlySummer
How long is the duration of the qualification?

We started the ‘learning part’ in the half term before Christmas, essentially a bunch of lectures on researching and referencing (they were useful but not essential’. Then we started planning and researching after Christmas before writing our essays and delivering a presentation in the run up to May half term when it was all handed in. However, the previous year group had a whole year to complete but my school now aims to finish it all in y10 so it does vary
We started the ‘learning part’ in the half term before Christmas, essentially a bunch of lectures on researching and referencing (they were useful but not essential’. Then we started planning and researching after Christmas before writing our essays and delivering a presentation in the run up to May half term when it was all handed in. However, the previous year group had a whole year to complete but my school now aims to finish it all in y10 so it does vary

Ok, thanks. I've just been researching it as my school don't offer it (instead we do some GCSEs early), so do think I'd be able to complete it in a year by myself, if I convince my careers advisor? Or do you need to have at least some lectures?
Ok, thanks. I've just been researching it as my school don't offer it (instead we do some GCSEs early), so do think I'd be able to complete it in a year by myself, if I convince my careers advisor? Or do you need to have at least some lectures?

No problem. I think you could easily complete it by yourself in that time frame. The learning section I believe there is a booklet available somewhere online, on the HPQ website (I think it’s AQA) which should cover enough. My only concern is the way the process worked for me is I had a supervisor who guided me through the process before marking it. It was then moderated by my head of year and a selection of the projects was moderated by the exam board. So I’m not sure how that would work if your school don’t offer it. May I ask your motivation for the project? If it is for university applications, you could wait for college/sixth form offer an organised EPQ scheme which is more work but more impressive.
No problem. I think you could easily complete it by yourself in that time frame. The learning section I believe there is a booklet available somewhere online, on the HPQ website (I think it’s AQA) which should cover enough. My only concern is the way the process worked for me is I had a supervisor who guided me through the process before marking it. It was then moderated by my head of year and a selection of the projects was moderated by the exam board. So I’m not sure how that would work if your school don’t offer it. May I ask your motivation for the project? If it is for university applications, you could wait for college/sixth form offer an organised EPQ scheme which is more work but more impressive.

Maybe I could, I don't know but I actually really want to do it in year 11. I know about the EPQ, which my school offer in 6th form, but I don't know if I'm going to do that yet, hopefully I will.
I feel like the HPQ will be better for future prospects, like 6th form applications, as well as uni.
Is it similar to the EPQ, like do you write an essay on any topic? And how is it graded?
Thank you so much for the info :smile:
What year are you in now? I feel like the HPQ would only add to the stress of y11 so I’m not sure. The production log is time consuming and you will write a lot more in there than in your actual essay. To my knowledge, the only key difference between HPQ and EPQ is the essay length, for HPQ it’s 2,000 words and EPQ is 5,000 words, of course you can do the project. Yes, choose something specific to what you want to do as a career I would recommend (if you know this) very useful for uni applications as it shows wider reading and interest. I could have chose a title on anything that interested me and all I had to do was inform my supervisor who approved it. EPQ is also good as it carries UCAS points. HPQ is equivalent to half a GCSE and EPQ equivalent to half an A Level. HPQ is out of 50, maximum of 10 for management 10 for use of resources 20 for development and realisation and 10 for review. All of this and more can be found on the specification. Your welcome, it’s completely fine.
Maybe I could, I don't know but I actually really want to do it in year 11. I know about the EPQ, which my school offer in 6th form, but I don't know if I'm going to do that yet, hopefully I will.
I feel like the HPQ will be better for future prospects, like 6th form applications, as well as uni.
Is it similar to the EPQ, like do you write an essay on any topic? And how is it graded?
Thank you so much for the info :smile:

Forgot to quote- see above message
What year are you in now? I feel like the HPQ would only add to the stress of y11 so I’m not sure. The production log is time consuming and you will write a lot more in there than in your actual essay. To my knowledge, the only key difference between HPQ and EPQ is the essay length, for HPQ it’s 2,000 words and EPQ is 5,000 words, of course you can do the project. Yes, choose something specific to what you want to do as a career I would recommend (if you know this) very useful for uni applications as it shows wider reading and interest. I could have chose a title on anything that interested me and all I had to do was inform my supervisor who approved it. EPQ is also good as it carries UCAS points. HPQ is equivalent to half a GCSE and EPQ equivalent to half an A Level. HPQ is out of 50, maximum of 10 for management 10 for use of resources 20 for development and realisation and 10 for review. All of this and more can be found on the specification. Your welcome, it’s completely fine.

Yep, 11. I'll check the specification, and I'll need to convince a few teachers after more research. Your advice has been very helpful :smile:
Yep, 11. I'll check the specification, and I'll need to convince a few teachers after more research. Your advice has been very helpful :smile:

Happy to help, good luck.
Happy to help, good luck.

Thanks, I'll give you an update once I've asked :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest