The Student Room Group

St Andrews A100 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of St Andrews A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a100-2020/

For entry requirements click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a100-2020/entry-requirements/academic-requirements/uk-qualifications/

St Andrews Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6346122

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anybody on here know how the Admissions process works at St A's?

I *think* that for RUK applicants, once you have met the 5 A at GCSE and 3 A at A level requirement, interviews are based purely on UKCAT.

Do they then use anything other than interview to decide whether to make an offer?

Did anyone conclude whether any of the pathways were less competitive than others?

Thanks!
Reply 2
Original post by TCL
Does anybody on here know how the Admissions process works at St A's?

I *think* that for RUK applicants, once you have met the 5 A at GCSE and 3 A at A level requirement, interviews are based purely on UKCAT.

Do they then use anything other than interview to decide whether to make an offer?

Did anyone conclude whether any of the pathways were less competitive than others?

Thanks!

They use UCAT in borderline cases post interview
The last couple of years the UK pathway has been less competitive and seemed to require a lower UCAT score
Reply 3
any idea of the cutoff this year, i really want to apply there!
Reply 4
Original post by MAD103

You need to follow this FOI request. Otherwise go through last years thread.
Reply 5
Original post by MAD103

this has some data for 18-19
lowest successful UKCAT score appeared to be in the 2400s, over 2680 it looks like you were pretty certain to get an interview. I assume the refusals higher up were those with good UKCATs but didn't reach the other minimum requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by 2500_2
this has some data for 18-19
lowest successful UKCAT score appeared to be in the 2400s, over 2680 it looks like you were pretty certain to get an interview. I assume the refusals higher up were those with good UKCATs but didn't reach the other minimum requirements.

I looked at that FOI and it is not helpful as it includes all categories of applicants and there were 249 overseas applicants (presumably with the high UCATs) so you can't see cut-offs for Scotland/EU or RUK.
Reply 7
Original post by TCL
I looked at that FOI and it is not helpful as it includes all categories of applicants and there were 249 overseas applicants (presumably with the high UCATs) so you can't see cut-offs for Scotland/EU or RUK.

i got 2690 band 2 so fingers corssed
Hey guys international applicant here

UCAT 2820 Band 3 A*A*AA predicted A*A*A*A*AC at IGCSE - do I have a shot at being shortlisted for interview? My number of IGCSE subjects is significantly lower than the average cohort so I'm quite worried.
Reply 9
Original post by MechDoge
Hey guys international applicant here

UCAT 2820 Band 3 A*A*AA predicted A*A*A*A*AC at IGCSE - do I have a shot at being shortlisted for interview? My number of IGCSE subjects is significantly lower than the average cohort so I'm quite worried.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Internationals, but I suggest you e-mail St Andrews with your stats and ask whether you would have got an interview for any of the last 3 years with those stats. I think they had a very high number of international applicants last year, so it is harder for you. :frown:
So I have one 9, two 8ā€™s, six 7ā€™s and 6 at Gcse. Iā€™m studying chemistry, biology, business and core maths at A-level. Ik also planning on doing a medical/ dermatology based epq if I get good grades in all do I stand a good chance of getting into St Andrews or even Oxbridge for medicine? Xx
Original post by Lottie_28
So I have one 9, two 8ā€™s, six 7ā€™s and 6 at Gcse. Iā€™m studying chemistry, biology, business and core maths at A-level. Ik also planning on doing a medical/ dermatology based epq if I get good grades in all do I stand a good chance of getting into St Andrews or even Oxbridge for medicine? Xx

Oxbridge - definitely no

St Andrews - possibly yes with good scores/grades

don't do an EPQ, focus on three A levels.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
Oxbridge - definitely no

St Andrews - possibly yes with good scores/grades

don't do an EPQ, focus on three A levels.

Our school practically forced you to do EPQā€™s so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be getting out of that. May I ask why Oxbridge is a definite no? Xx
Our school practically forced you to do EPQā€™s so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be getting out of that. May I ask why Oxbridge is a definite no? Xx

Oxbridge Medicine is notoriously competitive. at Oxford you need at least 7-8A*s minimum.
What I believe I have heard from others is that Oxford focuses a lot on GCSEs for shortlisting whereas Cambridge look less at GCSEs and more at A levels however I am not very qualified to talk on this matter as neither applied for oxbridge nor thought about applying for oxbridge when I applied for medicine.
Original post by TCL
Sorry, I don't know anything about Internationals, but I suggest you e-mail St Andrews with your stats and ask whether you would have got an interview for any of the last 3 years with those stats. I think they had a very high number of international applicants last year, so it is harder for you. :frown:

yeah dude but it's free to dream amirite
Reply 16
Original post by MechDoge
yeah dude but it's free to dream amirite

Can do cut offs from a bit further back for Internationals
2015/16 2440
2016/17 2400
2017/18 1820 (only 3 UKCAT sections)

So has been around 610 ish
They do not score CGSEs
Does anyone know how they choose interview! They are so vague! Iā€™d like to apply but I got 3050 so I feel I should apply someone openly just ranks you on ucat- do you think Iā€™d get an interview if I reached minimum? Also do they score PS? Or just check it for work exp
Reply 18

Rolling Stone was right - Oxford you need 7+ A*s and Cambridge you need 3 science A levels. Lots of other great medical schools would want you though!
Reply 19
Original post by MankyShoe
Does anyone know how they choose interview! They are so vague! Iā€™d like to apply but I got 3050 so I feel I should apply someone openly just ranks you on ucat- do you think Iā€™d get an interview if I reached minimum? Also do they score PS? Or just check it for work exp

You should be fine - are you a Home student? Once you meet the academic thresholds it is just UCAT ranking so you will be right at the top!

Quick Reply

Latest