The Student Room Group

Newcastle A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Overall stats aren't fantastic but I think I'll be ok since they don't score GCSEs.

GCSEs:
3 A*s equivalent, 5 As equivalent, 3 Bs equivalent

UCAT:
Their website doesn’t specify any subjects outside subjects they don’t want. It seems kinda strange to me I mean does this mean someone with 3 A*’s in IT, RS and Spanish could get in???
I’m confused i understand some foundation courses only care about grades but this is the first time I’ve seen the ordinary course like this.
Reply 42
Original post by Studentboy783
Their website doesn’t specify any subjects outside subjects they don’t want. It seems kinda strange to me I mean does this mean someone with 3 A*’s in IT, RS and Spanish could get in???
I’m confused i understand some foundation courses only care about grades but this is the first time I’ve seen the ordinary course like this.

yes, but you do also have to score very highly in the UCAT.
Original post by 2500_2
yes, but you do also have to score very highly in the UCAT.

So basically if I was a genius who could score full marks on the UCAT and Gain 3 A*s in social sciences they’d accept me
Original post by Studentboy783
So basically if I was a genius who could score full marks on the UCAT and Gain 3 A*s in social sciences they’d accept me

There’s the small part of the interview. They don’t require any specific subjects for A levels this year which is quite unique. They also don’t look at GCSEs either.

As mentioned their UCAT cut off is at the higher end, it was about 680 last year.
Any ideas for cutoff for A100 home/eu this year?
They won’t know as it’s based on who applies. I’m planning on applying to Newcastle via PARTNERS as I went to look at Newcastle and fell in love with the place and the course seems absolutely stunning and is highly regarded with a lot of emphasis on student choice and the visit booklet by the GMC suggests student voice is quite important there.
Stats 10 grade 9s at gcse 3a*s predicted at a level and 715 band 3 UCAT
I also have your average in terms of volunteering and extracurricular
2650 worth applying with?
Original post by George Hogarth
2650 worth applying with?

I would guess it may be a bit on the low side unless you’re contextual although do wait for the interim/final deciles to be published before definitely ruling iut
Original post by bigbootyjay
hey friends , I want to also apply through the partner's programme for architecture I meet EVERY requirement except from my maths and English GCSE not being a level 6. Is there a point of m applying ;(((((( .I mean i really want to go to Newcastle I love it !!!!! i also did both of the summers schools and it was totally fine i was accepted so i need some guidance

thankxxxoxo

You do know this is the medicine thread?
I don’t know if anyone knows this but I have a few questions about Newcastle medicine.
1.I have done some research and found that the interview score needed for offer through PARTNERS has been higher than standard entry so I just wondered why that may be.
2. Following on from that, I think last year or the one before the interview:redface:ffer was higher for PARTNERS than standard entry so I’m just wondering how this works if both the previous point and this are true .
3. I absolutely loved Newcastle when I visited and love the way they run the course but due to distance from where I live was unable to attend an open day ( have looked at the ppt they have from it on their website) but I was wondering both how clinical placements work in the first few years as well as if anyone knows what the % of people failing or dropping out is at different stages ( I’m only curious as I know a few years ago Leicester published something along these lines). Also how does the first year split in terms of proportions of time spent in each of the activities the website lists for the rest of the years as for some reason unbeknownst to me the data for the first year is not there [kind of turned into quite a few qs]
Reply 51
Hi all, just wanted to update, I sent in my UCAS on September 6, and I just got an email (September 9) from Newcastle requesting that I send my predicted GPA for graduation (I'm int'l) :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by DGeorge13
I don’t know if anyone knows this but I have a few questions about Newcastle medicine.
1.I have done some research and found that the interview score needed for offer through PARTNERS has been higher than standard entry so I just wondered why that may be.
2. Following on from that, I think last year or the one before the interview:redface:ffer was higher for PARTNERS than standard entry so I’m just wondering how this works if both the previous point and this are true .
3. I absolutely loved Newcastle when I visited and love the way they run the course but due to distance from where I live was unable to attend an open day ( have looked at the ppt they have from it on their website) but I was wondering both how clinical placements work in the first few years as well as if anyone knows what the % of people failing or dropping out is at different stages ( I’m only curious as I know a few years ago Leicester published something along these lines). Also how does the first year split in terms of proportions of time spent in each of the activities the website lists for the rest of the years as for some reason unbeknownst to me the data for the first year is not there [kind of turned into quite a few qs]

1) All unis have quotas they are given for WA applicants that they are expected to fill, so they are essentially assessed as an entirely different cohort (similar to internationals). THey therefore have their own UCAT cut off and their own post interview cut off

2) See above

3) FIrst few years you do half/full day clinical placements at a GP surgery or on the ward. It's every couple of weeks, I think. I think there is something timetabled for pretty much all of most days, but do not know the split between lectures, small-group and practical stuff, I'm afraid and #2 who has just finished 1st year is not around to ask, but if it matters, remind me later and I will ask him.
Not sure of drop out/failure rate, but they are pretty strict if you fail resits and there is no automatic right to resit a year.
Original post by GANFYD
1) All unis have quotas they are given for WA applicants that they are expected to fill, so they are essentially assessed as an entirely different cohort (similar to internationals). THey therefore have their own UCAT cut off and their own post interview cut off

2) See above

3) FIrst few years you do half/full day clinical placements at a GP surgery or on the ward. It's every couple of weeks, I think. I think there is something timetabled for pretty much all of most days, but do not know the split between lectures, small-group and practical stuff, I'm afraid and #2 who has just finished 1st year is not around to ask, but if it matters, remind me later and I will ask him.
Not sure of drop out/failure rate, but they are pretty strict if you fail resits and there is no automatic right to resit a year.

Thank you.
Reply 54
Thank you.

Apparently students are randomly assigned a GP practice in groups of 2 or 3 and you attend twice in the first year (all day - transport provided is not local)
The hospital is done in seminar groups (13-20 people) and you spend a whole day there 3 times in the first year. Can be on any ward, usually taking histories and examining patients - it is to put into practice the skills learned but the degree of interaction apparently depends on which Dr you are with.

Still no idea how many fail, but says the pass mark is set before the exam is sat, generally, so theoretically, everybody could pass or fail (does not happen)!! Son not personally aware of anybody who failed first year. Says threshold for SBA exam was 53.3 and lower quartile was 56.41 so around 20% failed. For SAP threshold was 50% and max 10 people failed (these exams can be resat).

Says weeks vary hugely - from 3 days off to 6 hours of lectures a day.

They are set a case and then have lectures based round this and the case leader decides how many small group/tutorial sessions etc. Case 1 (cardiac arrest) was roughly 60% to 40% lectures to practicals/seminars. Says have time in skills lab proportional to the case - 1 anatomy session per case and up to 3 clinical skills sessions per case, usually. The cases are variable in length from around 5 days up to 3 weeks, depending on the complexity, eg kidney most complex, "Foundation cases" being the easiest.
Original post by GANFYD
Apparently students are randomly assigned a GP practice in groups of 2 or 3 and you attend twice in the first year (all day - transport provided is not local)
The hospital is done in seminar groups (13-20 people) and you spend a whole day there 3 times in the first year. Can be on any ward, usually taking histories and examining patients - it is to put into practice the skills learned but the degree of interaction apparently depends on which Dr you are with.

Still no idea how many fail, but says the pass mark is set before the exam is sat, generally, so theoretically, everybody could pass or fail (does not happen)!! Son not personally aware of anybody who failed first year. Says threshold for SBA exam was 53.3 and lower quartile was 56.41 so around 20% failed. For SAP threshold was 50% and max 10 people failed (these exams can be resat).

Says weeks vary hugely - from 3 days off to 6 hours of lectures a day.

They are set a case and then have lectures based round this and the case leader decides how many small group/tutorial sessions etc. Case 1 (cardiac arrest) was roughly 60% to 40% lectures to practicals/seminars. Says have time in skills lab proportional to the case - 1 anatomy session per case and up to 3 clinical skills sessions per case, usually. The cases are variable in length from around 5 days up to 3 weeks, depending on the complexity, eg kidney most complex, "Foundation cases" being the easiest.

That was really useful
Reply 56
That was really useful

It was like getting blood out of a stone!!
Anybody going to the open day on Saturday?

Do we know if there is a tour of the medical school as there is nothing mentioned on the 'Plan your day' document?
International A*A*AA predicted 2820 SJT Band 3 - do I have a shot for an interview?
Reply 59
Original post by MechDoge
International A*A*AA predicted 2820 SJT Band 3 - do I have a shot for an interview?

Last year's cutoff for interview was 2720, and it's been lower in years before that. Interview is only based on UCAT score so you should get an interview. Where are you applying from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending