The Student Room Group

RAF Capita Medical

I have recently applied to join the RAF and I will soon complete my Capita Medical. I know that they check your BMI due to your height and weight. I have already checked mine and am deemed overweight. I am healthy, sporty and active, I also maintain a stable and varied diet. Will this effect me passing or will i have to go on a diet before i take the Capita Medical?
I'm in the same boat - have done too much weight lifting and gained muscle mass and now I'm too heavy according to the BMI charts, need to book in my medical when the AFCO reopens on the 7th so need to start losing weight somehow😂
Reply 2
Original post by marveldinosaur
I'm in the same boat - have done too much weight lifting and gained muscle mass and now I'm too heavy according to the BMI charts, need to book in my medical when the AFCO reopens on the 7th so need to start losing weight somehow😂

Yeah, I’m guessing just diets and cutting out the crap food. Where can I find the BMI chart for the RAF, like the requirements and the borders etc?
If you're over 18, you need to have a BMI between 18 and 28, if you're under 18 then it's between 17 and 27.
I've tried to include an attachment of the RAF's official BMI chart😁
Reply 4
Original post by marveldinosaur
If you're over 18, you need to have a BMI between 18 and 28, if you're under 18 then it's between 17 and 27.
I've tried to include an attachment of the RAF's official BMI chart😁

Awesome, I’m within that so I should be good. Thank you!
Original post by polarlottie
I have recently applied to join the RAF and I will soon complete my Capita Medical. I know that they check your BMI due to your height and weight. I have already checked mine and am deemed overweight. I am healthy, sporty and active, I also maintain a stable and varied diet. Will this effect me passing or will i have to go on a diet before i take the Capita Medical?

If you have a look here on the RAF Recruitment website you'll note that there is a section which lists 'with additional assessment' your general fitness is taken into account during your medical, so if you're in the gym every day and outside the BMI because of particular reasons then it will be taken into account. That's why the medical is part of the application process.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Adam, what if my BMI is 29.7? It says up to 32 with additional assessment and your waist is no more than 94cm. My waist is 100cm! I go gym three times a week.
Adam, what if my BMI is 29.7? It says up to 32 with additional assessment and your waist is no more than 94cm. My waist is 100cm! I go gym three times a week.
Original post by RAF_Adam
If you have a look here on the RAF Recruitment website you'll note that there is a section which lists 'with additional assessment' your general fitness is taken into account during your medical, so if you're in the gym every day and outside the BMI because of particular reasons then it will be taken into account. That's why the medical is part of the application process.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

Adam

Adam, what if my BMI is 29.7? It says up to 32 with additional assessment and your waist is no more than 94cm. My waist is 100cm! I go gym three times a week. I left the RAF only 6 months ago and am rejoining. Will they let me off? The recruitment told me because I am rejoining into fresh new trade compared to my old one I have to re do medical. I had a full exit leaving medical in Jan! What are the chances they will let me off? I am exercising and dieting like mad just incase. Thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by neilcheltuk
Adam

Adam, what if my BMI is 29.7? It says up to 32 with additional assessment and your waist is no more than 94cm. My waist is 100cm! I go gym three times a week. I left the RAF only 6 months ago and am rejoining. Will they let me off? The recruitment told me because I am rejoining into fresh new trade compared to my old one I have to re do medical. I had a full exit leaving medical in Jan! What are the chances they will let me off? I am exercising and dieting like mad just incase. Thanks.

You won’t get ‘let off’ you need a Capita Medical within 12 months in order to not need one again. If you’ve not had a capita medical in the last 12 you need another simple as that. I assume as you’re rejoining just 6 months later you’re a VW’er from Phase 1 or 2 training?
Correct, been told as I left recently and rejoining, It will be a case of Medical, PJFT, 1x day PRTC to do the bleep test at Halton, a TARC course (Transferree and Rejoiners Course) of "up to" 10 days, then straight to Phase 2 training. (I'm going for a different trade). If I was rejoining same trade, I wouldn't have had to have done the medical again, or Phase 2. But I want to go back in as something new. Been told I will keep my rank too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by neilcheltuk
Adam

Hi

It will all be looked at during your medical, that's why it's part of the process. It's looked at case by case, also why there's 'additional assessment' in there. Don't worry.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Do they request your full medical records or just from a certain age?
Reply 13
Original post by amcomets
Do they request your full medical records or just from a certain age?

Full records, because something as a baby or child could affect you in later life and have an impact on your application.

Quick Reply

Latest