The Student Room Group

Has the Boris Johnson portrayal been blow out of proportion?

From what I've read so far, I have gotten the impression that Brexit has warped everyone’s minds to convince themselves that just because Boris is pro-Brexit he’s an evil far right trump fan. But isn't he technically one of the most left-winged Tories, socially and economically speaking for example?

Let me explain:
In economic and social matters, he is a genuine liberal, but he retains a Tory element through his recognition of the inevitability of hierarchy amongst other things. He has a liberal stance on matters such as social policy, immigration and free trade, and while it's true that he had"leaned to the right" since the Brexit campaign, he remained "slightly more socially liberal" than much of his party.

Not to mention, Boris Johnson called for an amnesty on illegal immigrants whilst being compared to Trump who wants to deport them all.

I think I’ve read somewhere that he is a controversial figure not just for condoning Brexit, but for using “racist, homophobic language” and for his alleged elitism and dishonesty, which I guess would make sense then for people to say that he’s a spitting image of Donald Trump (as well as them looking uncannily alike).

But through further digging I've found out that he is often criticised for saying burqas look like post boxes, but that was in an article defending the right to wear a burqa and celebrating multiculturalism. It seems that people atm have forgotten what people were like before the referendum on both sides.

Before I receive any death threats, I am genuinely interested in finding out more about this topic and fully understanding why news sources (like The Guardian) and people alike continue to disproportionately vilify him.

**Not claiming that left = good necessarily, before anyone calls me out, but that the representation, from what I see, is somewhat inaccurate to an extent.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He slated Liverpool in the press re hillsborough and that sums him up as a man for me. utter ****

dodgy opinions on the GFA, too
Original post by gjd800
He slated Liverpool in the press re hillsborough and that sums him up as a man for me. utter ****

He must have redeemed himself with the letter boxes/bank robbers line at least to some degree?
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
He must have redeemed himself with the letter boxes/bank robbers line at least to some degree?

nein

That was a step too far
Original post by gjd800
nein

I don't like the remarks about Hillsborough and the casual racism, but what's struck me is how weak he has been at the despatch box. Being rhetorical and charming is his real selling point; and seems he can't get a ****ing word out without fumbling it. Like Pete off Big Brother from 2007.

What don't you like about GFA?
Reply 6
I don't like the remarks about Hillsborough and the casual racism, but what's struck me is how weak he has been at the despatch box. Being rhetorical and charming is his real selling point; and seems he can't get a ****ing word out without fumbling it. Like Pete off Big Brother from 2007.

I'm not that surprised at it to be honest. I don't think he has ever been too convincing with this sort of direct questioning or with being really under pressure, but it seems to me that the party think that his perceived 'oafishness' (I say that in an affectionate way actually) and his general funny, not too serious demeanour would mitigate to the public his shortcomings in the Commons

He can't be happy with how he performed though. At time he was just bumbling and shouting like the madheads by mine that are on their fifth special brew at half 8 Tuesday morning
Ignoring all his views, he is an extremely clever and diligent prime minister, all his plans sound very obscure and out there but in reality they are carefully calculated and all play part of their vision which I do believe will end up benefiting the country, much like Trump
He needs to buy a comb.

Before anyone asks, no - the white-haired male in my dp isn't really me.
Original post by Dunya
He needs to buy a comb.

I always thought that was you! Feels like my whole existence has been a lie.

And I thought it was a woman in your dp.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Legally Jasmine
I always thought that was you! Feels like my whole existence has been a lie.

Oh my :lol: It's Danny DeVito or Matilda's dad as you may know him.
Original post by gjd800
I'm not that surprised at it to be honest. I don't think he has ever been too convincing with this sort of direct questioning or with being really under pressure, but it seems to me that the party think that his perceived 'oafishness' (I say that in an affectionate way actually) and his general funny, not too serious demeanour would mitigate to the public his shortcomings in the Commons

He can't be happy with how he performed though. At time he was just bumbling and shouting like the madheads by mine that are on their fifth special brew at half 8 Tuesday morning

Just comes off as a bit of a weakling at times; though not as bad as the snarling presentation of the nutter across the aisle, who's about as useful as a chocolate dildo.
Reply 12
Just comes off as a bit of a weakling at times; though not as bad as the snarling presentation of the nutter across the aisle, who's about as useful as a chocolate dildo.

don't get me started on that fool :laugh:

Please don't derail my thread :biggrin:
Original post by Dunya
He needs to buy a comb.

Prove it:colone:
Nah, we don’t stan racists and islamophobes.
Original post by Aaryra
Prove it:colone:

Behave :hmmm:
Original post by Aaryra
Nah, we don’t stan racists and islamophobes.

We also don't stan rapists and thieves but Cardi B is still walking free
Original post by postmalone123
we also don't stan rapists and thieves but cardi b is still walking free

IM SCREAMING. What? Where is the correlation please?
Original post by Dunya
Behave :hmmm:

:u:xxxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending