The Student Room Group

Durham University University College - uni accommodation or private?

Hello,

Firstly sorry for the long message. Also if you are a fellow durham uni student please say hi! :smile:

So I will be starting my first year at Durham in October 2019 and I don't know if I should live in college provided accommodation or go private.

The thing is I am 22 so I would not be too much like the 18 year olds starting out, I am a bit of a introvert as it is. However I got Castle as my college which is very difficult to get and I would love to have the experience of living there.

I am aware I might be allocated to their other accommodation but I still fear if I live privately I might not make close friends or miss out on the college experience.

How important is it to live in college for the college experience and to make close friends?

I was never in school when I was younger and have always felt I missed out on a lot as a teenager.

On the other hand I have severe OCD and have never shared a bathroom since I was 13 years old. To live inside castle I would have to share my room...
I also have clinical depression and social anxiety so the thought of constantly seeing people on the one hand makes me happy as I do want to make good friends, but it also frightens me and makes me really sad as in my head I think I would not be able to take the pressure of constantly living with people, going out drinking etc.

Furthermore, I have other priorities such as losing weight for my health and living in uni means I would have to eat the university food AND I'm pretty sure join some other gym further away which is doable, but tougher.

Because I have looked into private accommodation and I got an affordable option 7 minutes away from the History building that is a studio apartment with the buildings own gym facilities. It is also 8 minutes away from Castle which means I can frequently go there.

I am just not sure what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone???
Original post by transient life
Anyone???

Hey! Congrats on getting into castle!

I'm starting there too in a few weeks.

As for the accommodation, I think it might be better if you go private - like you said, with OCD and being 22, sharing might not be for you. As far as I know, only finalists get ensuite rooms in the actual castle itself and there is a possibility that you may be allocated a room which isnt in the castle itself.

I applied for accommodation at New Kepier Court - its self catered ensuite and actually looks pretty nice so that could also be a potential option for you.

Regardless, I don't think you'll be missing out on making any friends - loads of castle students live out I believe, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck! xx
Kepier court is mostly for post grad, check out prestige student living if private is your thing, I lived there and it had tons of facilities which is run by nice people.
Original post by priiyankaa

As for the accommodation, I think it might be better if you go private - like you said, with OCD and being 22, sharing might not be for you. As far as I know, only finalists get ensuite rooms in the actual castle itself and there is a possibility that you may be allocated a room which isnt in the castle itself.

I applied for accommodation at New Kepier Court - its self catered ensuite and actually looks pretty nice so that could also be a potential option for you.

Regardless, I don't think you'll be missing out on making any friends - loads of castle students live out I believe, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck! xx

Hey!

Thanks for posting! Nice to hear from a fellow castle offer holder.

I did get an offer from them to get a room at Keepier Court because of my OCD. I am just unsure on whether to take up the offer or not because it's a bit further away (20 minutes walk for my petite self) and the whole reason to stay in uni rather private accommodation is to make friends and feel like a part of the college and experience the typical uni life. I've never been to uni before and was home-schooled for my entire life so I have always felt I missed out. I just don't know if it is worth risking feeling terrible and not coping (incase I don't get along with flatmates and for my OCD) to give myself a chance at living in halls in the hopes of having a great 'typical' uni experience?

What course are you taking? It would be nice to know someone before I start there! xxx
Original post by priiyankaa

Good luck! xx

Hey!

I did get an offer from them to get a room at Keepier Court because of my OCD. I am just unsure on whether to take up the offer or not because it's a bit further away (20 minutes walk for my petite self) and the whole reason to stay in uni rather private accommodation is to make friends and feel like a part of the college and experience the typical uni life. I've never been to uni before and was home-schooled for my entire life so I have always felt I missed out. I just don't know if it is worth risking feeling terrible and not coping (incase I don't get along with flatmates and for my OCD) to give myself a chance at living in halls in the hopes of having a great 'typical' uni experience?

What course are you taking? It would be nice to know someone before I start there! xxx

Original post by random_matt
Kepier court is mostly for post grad, check out prestige student living if private is your thing, I lived there and it had tons of facilities which is run by nice people.

I heard the same about Keepier Court, which makes me more uncertain of if I want to live there, as I'm sure post-grad will not be as open to making friends etc as undergrads/freshers would? Do you think I will have difficulty making friends if I live private as a fresher?
Hey!

I heard the same about Keepier Court, which makes me more uncertain of if I want to live there, as I'm sure post-grad will not be as open to making friends etc as undergrads/freshers would? Do you think I will have difficulty making friends if I live private as a fresher?

Not at all, I knew a few people while living private in Durham. But they do fill a lot of places out to Asians, crazy to think they spend money on the pent house option.

I wouldn't worry about post grad students, I was friends with a few of them as well. If you manage to get into Kepier, you should take it, you will regret it otherwise. Durham I think have also taken control of another private place for a year until they finish their new build, cannot remember where it is.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by random_matt
Not at all, I knew a few people while living private in Durham. But they do fill a lot of places out to Asians, crazy to think they spend money on the pent house option.

I wouldn't worry about post grad students, I was friends with a few of them as well. If you manage to get into Kepier, you should take it, you will regret it otherwise. Durham I think have also taken control of another private place for a year until they finish their new build, cannot remember where it is.

Were you living private in your first year? Are you still at Durham? May I ask why you think I might regret it if I don't take Kepier Court?
Were you living private in your first year? Are you still at Durham? May I ask why you think I might regret it if I don't take Kepier Court?

Yes, no, looks nice at uni prices. There is even a accommodation bursary available if you meet the requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest