The Student Room Group

Keeping your home gp instead of a uni one.

Hi all. I have a very complex medical history and condition. I take a lot of medications and more. I’d prefer to keep the gp I currently have as they are highly experienced in treating my rare medical condition. I would travel back for appointment and use the EPS system at a uni pharmacy. If anything I needed medical attention happened I’d go to the 111 service or emergency register with a gp at uni. Is this ok. Any holes in my plan?
Original post by Ark zero
Hi all. I have a very complex medical history and condition. I take a lot of medications and more. I’d prefer to keep the gp I currently have as they are highly experienced in treating my rare medical condition. I would travel back for appointment and use the EPS system at a uni pharmacy. If anything I needed medical attention happened I’d go to the 111 service or emergency register with a gp at uni. Is this ok. Any holes in my plan?

That sounds fine, as long as it is quick and easy for you to travel home and back to uni.

What condition do you have? Is it solely managed by your GP or do you have a hospital consultant too? Is uni far from home?

It's better to be properly registered with a local GP as they can access all your records - this is not something that happens under emergency registration afaik.

Calling 111 often results in being directed to A&E. A&E depts are not set up for dealing with GP problems so as with emergency registration, you may find that the care you receieve is limited.

:smile:
Are you sure you should have taken a place at a university, who you wouldn't trust with medical care.

I've often thought if i get sick or ill thank god I'll have the full research of my university to save me, if I'm fixable. But i guess that's the luxury of having faith in your Russell Group.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Are you sure you should have taken a place at a university, who you wouldn't trust with medical care.

I've often thought if i get sick or ill thank god I'll have the full research of my university to save me, if I'm fixable. But i guess that's the luxury of having faith in your Russell Group.

:lolwut:

Only a small handful of Universities have their own GP's practice. Otherwise, student medical care is a matter for GPs in the general population. A university has no involvement in your healthcare, beyond offering first line mental health and public health support if required.
Reply 6

None :smile: I did this initially as I wasn't 100% sure where I was living, it's a perfectly fine plan
Original post by threeportdrift
Only a small handful of Universities have their own GP's practice. Otherwise, student medical care is a matter for GPs in the general population. A university has no involvement in your healthcare, beyond offering first line mental health and public health support if required.

Oh wow, good to know. Idk maybe the foolish assumption that nearly all universities have hospitals is from growing up in US.

Where it's often University xxx Medical Center.
Original post by Democracy
:lolwut:

😂😂 😅 Don't know tbh... Think it's from growing up in the US. Where the best hospitals in each state tend to be the university hospital.

What are you talking about?
Original post by Stefanidi
What are you talking about?

Already explained the mistake. If you can read you should get it.
Already explained the mistake. If you can read you should get it.

Surely you’d know this if you go to uni in the uk?...🥴😵😫
Surely you’d know this if you go to uni in the uk?...🥴😵😫

Nope... Only ever went to one uni lol. And it has a training hospital and all lol. So i assumed all at least have medical centers...for student's. 😂 😂 And do some form of medical care.

And even when i did my private foundation in London it was next to the tropical medicine institute or something fancy... And opposite of that was UCL which also had a massive medical centre. 😷😂😂😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Nope... Only ever went to one uni lol. And it has a training hospital and all lol. So i assumed all at least have medical centers...for student's. 😂 😂 And do some form of medical care.

And even when i did my private foundation in London it was next to the tropical medicine institute or something fancy... And opposite of that was UCL which also had a massive medical centre. 😷😂😂😂

You need to register with a GP (a General Practitioner) who should be your first point of call if you have a chronic illness/feeling unwell. The people studying medicine at UCL won’t be able to help bc they aren’t doctors yet
When I was at uni, they literally wouldn't let you register without you having registered with the local GP. I thought it was odd at the time as I was being treated for something and wanted to stay with my home GP (which was only a 30 min drive away) but they wouldn't let me register. Double check with your admissions team, but unless you're going to uni I went to, I expect you will be fine.
You need to register with a GP (a General Practitioner) who should be your first point of call if you have a chronic illness/feeling unwell. The people studying medicine at UCL won’t be able to help bc they aren’t doctors yet

never got sick (luckily), but i'm sure someone at UCL hospital could have done something lol. But yeah i'll admit i didn't think it through. I guess if you go to a big uni you envision everyone has a similar experience. But obviously i'm mistaken my fault lol.
😂😂 😅 Don't know tbh... Think it's from growing up in the US. Where the best hospitals in each state tend to be the university hospital.

We have university hospitals in the UK too. I don't think university hospitals in any country conduct bespoke medical research for the local student population though (lol).
Hi,
I'd say that should be fine.
The only dilemma might be if your university insist you have a GP there as a condition for enrolling - some do. In that case, they might accept you registering as a temporary patient at uni (max 3 months) during term time, and staying registered at home.

Are you under hospital care too? Will you still be able to access this while at uni?
The other thing to consider more long term is whether there is anywhere else in the country where you can get the same level of care, as there may be times where you won't be at home for whatever reason. Obviously this is more long term, but might be something to have a think about.

Quick Reply

Latest