The Student Room Group

Are train tickets the same price at the station as on trainline?

Okay so I'm catching a train in 2 hours today. The price on trainline is an anytime return at £38.40. If I went to the train station would it cost £38.40 also? I can't buy online as I only have the money in cash.

Scroll to see replies

Usually yes, the same price. Worth checking on the Trainline site as well as others like Interrail.

https://www.interrail.eu/en
Bump
Reply 3
I always find them to be the same price. If you have a railcard you can't use it on the train, but if you show it at the booking office and you'll get the discount.
Reply 4
Always has been for me.
Reply 5
Tickets are tickets and the same price everywhere - there's nothing you can get on the trainline website that you can't get from a station or the train operating company's website. The only difference is that trainline charge you a £1 booking fee on top of the ticket price. A bit of a con tbh.
Reply 6
Yeah, the Train Line is only cheaper if you book way in advance. There are some good deals to be had, but if you're buying on the day it's the same.
Reply 7
Original post by ArtGoblin
the Train Line is only cheaper if you book way in advance. There are some good deals to be had, but if you're buying on the day it's the same.

This.

Only booking in advance is worth it... I got myself a London-Scotland train for £12. :colone:
Reply 8
NEVER use the trainline. It's all a con. Advanced tickets can be purchased from the station in advance, or from ANY Train Operating Company's website. TOCs do not charge any fees (or I've never seen them do anyway). The trainline charges £1 fee.

Same applies for on the day tickets, it will be same price in the station, on the trainline and other sites but again trainline charges you £1 fee.

If you do need to buy in advance in the future, go through a cashback site like Quidco and look for whichever TOC is offering the largest cashback and buy with them.
Reply 9
Original post by ArtGoblin
Yeah, the Train Line is only cheaper if you book way in advance. There are some good deals to be had, but if you're buying on the day it's the same.

Original post by Pandabär
This.

Only booking in advance is worth it... I got myself a London-Scotland train for £12. :colone:

Even when you book in advance you're still paying too much by using the trainline. You can get the same ticket for £1 cheaper from the train operating company directly.

For example, if I bought an advance ticket today for December 1st and paid £15 on the East Coast website, I could get the same ticket today on the trainline website for £16. The trainline work by acting as a middle man, purchasing tickets from the TOCs and then selling them on to you for a profit of £1 per ticket.
Original post by moregano
Even when you book in advance you're still paying too much by using the trainline. You can get the same ticket for £1 cheaper from the train operating company directly.

For example, if I bought an advance ticket today for December 1st and paid £15 on the East Coast website, I could get the same ticket today on the trainline website for £16. The trainline work by acting as a middle man, purchasing tickets from the TOCs and then selling them on to you for a profit of £1 per ticket.

The ticket postage fee charged by my network operator came to more than £1. With thetrainline it was free. Hence I saved money :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Pandabär
The ticket postage fee charged by my network operator came to more than £1. With thetrainline it was free. Hence I saved money :smile:.

Ah, fair enough. You can usually pick the tickets up on the day for no cost though, or buy them directly from the station in advance. But I guess if you need the convenience then it might be worth it.
Depends where your going as well...
No matter when you book on the trainline you save zilcho if your going between say sheffield and hull.
Original post by moregano
Ah, fair enough. You can usually pick the tickets up on the day for no cost though, or buy them directly from the station in advance. But I guess if you need the convenience then it might be worth it.

Yeah, if you don't have large gaps between legs of your journey, which allow room for buying tickets (and any delays) then postage is really key.
I am on SSI and disabled and I have to have a price range from Harrisburg to the closest to Stewart as you can get
Reply 15
It depends on the competency of the person in the ticket office to a degree as well. I have tried to purchase tickets on more than one occasion from my local station fully armed with times and correct prices only to be told their system has a different price.Sooo either Trainline prices are not the same as in the ticket office (which iI doubt) OR the person in the ticket office is unable to find the ticket you have given them the info for (just had this experience today).
TrainPal is the best app for this - it splits fares and makes it even more cheaper - btw i'm not sponsored
Reply 17
Original post by japan655
TrainPal is the best app for this - it splits fares and makes it even more cheaper - btw i'm not sponsored

trainline charges a booking fee, does this app?
Original post by ANM775
trainline charges a booking fee, does this app?

Nope
Original post by Joseph Joestar
Usually yes, the same price. Worth checking on the Trainline site as well as others like Interrail.

https://www.interrail.eu/en

I'm so confused how you managed to post this 6 years ago but joined 2 years ago :eek2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending