The Student Room Group

University pros and cons- help

Debating whether to go to university next year-

I’m 18 and taking a gap year. I want to go to uni for the qualifications, opportunities and experience but I’m worried about not being smart enough and the debt

It would be greatly appreciated if you could briefly let me know your experience of university. Like the money situations, workload, social side etc

Thanks
Original post by Nousername2431
Debating whether to go to university next year-

I’m 18 and taking a gap year. I want to go to uni for the qualifications, opportunities and experience but I’m worried about not being smart enough and the debt

It would be greatly appreciated if you could briefly let me know your experience of university. Like the money situations, workload, social side etc

Thanks

If you get the grades for the course you want to do, then you're smart enough.

As for the debt, don't think of it as a debt. Because it isn't really. It's more of a graduate tax. You only pay once you earn over 25k, and you can only start paying in the April after you graduate, you only pay 9%, AND it gets wiped after 30 years. It doesn't affect your ability to get loans, mortgages, credit cards etc. So please do not be worried about the money aspect.

You'll get a maintenance loan based on your parents' income. This will either really help you, or not do much for you depending on the amount you get. It is up to you to manage your money well, budget correctly and control your spending.

Workload will vary depending on course, although the majority of your time should be spent doing some kind of university work. You'll be able to have a social life, a job etc. as well as keeping up with the work if you're organised and plan your time well.
Hey,

I don't think you're going to get any smarter during a gap year. If you can get into university, I think you're smart enough to study there.
A lot of the debt is kind of invisible, just comes out of your salary when you earn enough.

Hope this helps,
Joshua :smile:
Original post by DrawTheLine
If you get the grades for the course you want to do, then you're smart enough.

As for the debt, don't think of it as a debt. Because it isn't really. It's more of a graduate tax. You only pay once you earn over 25k, and you can only start paying in the April after you graduate, you only pay 9%, AND it gets wiped after 30 years. It doesn't affect your ability to get loans, mortgages, credit cards etc. So please do not be worried about the money aspect.

You'll get a maintenance loan based on your parents' income. This will either really help you, or not do much for you depending on the amount you get. It is up to you to manage your money well, budget correctly and control your spending.

Workload will vary depending on course, although the majority of your time should be spent doing some kind of university work. You'll be able to have a social life, a job etc. as well as keeping up with the work if you're organised and plan your time well.

Thats helped loads. Thank you
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey,

I don't think you're going to get any smarter during a gap year. If you can get into university, I think you're smart enough to study there.
A lot of the debt is kind of invisible, just comes out of your salary when you earn enough.

Hope this helps,
Joshua :smile:

thank you for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending