The Student Room Group

Really anxious about uni

Hi, I start uni at the end of September and I am really panicking that I made the wrong choice of course and uni. Every time I get an email regarding uni I start panicking and I am legit on the verge of tears when I talk about uni to family and friends.

Therefore, I just wanted to get some advice on chilling out cause I feel like its gonna ruin my whole freshers experience. Also, does anyone have any experience with what Im going through in terms of not being sure about their course before even starting?

I dont think I want to take a gap year as I havent really researched my alternative options so should I just go to uni and see what its like and see if I can change?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I start uni at the end of September and I am really panicking that I made the wrong choice of course and uni. Every time I get an email regarding uni I start panicking and I am legit on the verge of tears when I talk about uni to family and friends.

Therefore, I just wanted to get some advice on chilling out cause I feel like its gonna ruin my whole freshers experience. Also, does anyone have any experience with what Im going through in terms of not being sure about their course before even starting?

I dont think I want to take a gap year as I havent really researched my alternative options so should I just go to uni and see what its like and see if I can change?

I was in your exact position last year when I started my first year! It's okay to be a little bit nervous, moving to university is a big change.

But one of the things that I found made my mood better was actually leaving my accommodation; most people are going to feel exactly like you are, so maybe go to Fresher's Fayre with some of them? Explore somewhere in the city? How about a trip to the library so you know where everything is? Join a couple of societies (and it doesn't just have to be the main sports that are social-heavy... maybe Tea Society or a book club if that interests you)

Give it a few weeks before deciding to drop out; my low mood lasted until mid-October until I decided to do more with my societies. And now I can't see myself anywhere else.

If you need to talk you're welcome to privately message me - or respond to this. But just know: The low mood won't last forever!
Reply 2
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
I was in your exact position last year when I started my first year! It's okay to be a little bit nervous, moving to university is a big change.

But one of the things that I found made my mood better was actually leaving my accommodation; most people are going to feel exactly like you are, so maybe go to Fresher's Fayre with some of them? Explore somewhere in the city? How about a trip to the library so you know where everything is? Join a couple of societies (and it doesn't just have to be the main sports that are social-heavy... maybe Tea Society or a book club if that interests you)

Give it a few weeks before deciding to drop out; my low mood lasted until mid-October until I decided to do more with my societies. And now I can't see myself anywhere else.

If you need to talk you're welcome to privately message me - or respond to this. But just know: The low mood won't last forever!

Thanks your message helps and I hope my mindset changes but I cant help but feel like Im on a constant deadline to make decisions e.g, you have to decide before next UCAS applications are sent out otherwise Ill have to wait a year and how the friends I might make during my time at uni I might never see again if I switch unis/courses. Its kind of like im constantly juggling the idea in my head about whether the anxiety is only temporary or it is genuine disinterest in my course/uni.
Hey, I’ve been exactly where you are. I was anxious and panicking about going to my chosen university. I was doubting the course and the uni (it was my insurance choice).

I actually ended up dropping out after a few days of moving in, as I knew I’d made a mistake and I hated it there.

I ended up taking a gap year, researched into different courses and universities and I’m so happy that I did. I worked during the year and learned to drive, so it wasn’t a wasted year. I’m so glad I did as I’m now going into my placement year at a university and a course that I’m so passionate about.

It does get better. Once you’re there, there’s always the option of trying to change courses (probably not always possible but still an option)

What course are you doing? And what made you want to do it at uni?

I was similarly very bad in the run up to the start of Uni and in fact once I started.

What helped me was when I actually started doing the academic work. Also when I made some friends. Everything just sort of fell into place at that point. I think these kinds of jitters are normal. Just take it easy and remember that University is 3 years. You know so little about University and it is such a big change so there is absolutely no surprise about being nervous regarding starting. But eventually that nervousness will subside.

Only ask yourself - would I feel different e.g. if I was studying "x" course? If the answer is no the most probable reason is your nerves reagrding the change itself. Please feel free to PM if this is something you are nervous about.
Reply 5
Original post by MusicGamer
Hey, I’ve been exactly where you are. I was anxious and panicking about going to my chosen university. I was doubting the course and the uni (it was my insurance choice).

I actually ended up dropping out after a few days of moving in, as I knew I’d made a mistake and I hated it there.

I ended up taking a gap year, researched into different courses and universities and I’m so happy that I did. I worked during the year and learned to drive, so it wasn’t a wasted year. I’m so glad I did as I’m now going into my placement year at a university and a course that I’m so passionate about.

It does get better. Once you’re there, there’s always the option of trying to change courses (probably not always possible but still an option)

What course are you doing? And what made you want to do it at uni?

Hey thanks for your reply and Im glad everything is okay now. Im about to study physics and I chose it because it was the subject I liked studying the most at school but I never really thought about what career I wanted after except I know I don't want to go into teaching or research. Therefore it's likely that I'll get a job in something completely unrelated which has started to make me consider doing something more vocational like engineering for instance. Although these thoughts are very recent as up until now I havent doubted my choice so I feel like I should at least give it a go you know? But Im afraid that when I start uni I'll hate it but be too afraid to drop it as it might be too late to start another course and I am incredibly indecisive.
Hey thanks for your reply and Im glad everything is okay now. Im about to study physics and I chose it because it was the subject I liked studying the most at school but I never really thought about what career I wanted after except I know I don't want to go into teaching or research. Therefore it's likely that I'll get a job in something completely unrelated which has started to make me consider doing something more vocational like engineering for instance. Although these thoughts are very recent as up until now I havent doubted my choice so I feel like I should at least give it a go you know? But Im afraid that when I start uni I'll hate it but be too afraid to drop it as it might be too late to start another course and I am incredibly indecisive.

In terms of careers and jobs, my university - and I imagine most universities - offer a lot of support to helping you figure out what it is you want to do when you graduate, there’s so much time to figure it out.

I understand giving it a go - chances are that once you get started and joining in with the freshers activities, the nerves will go away. I definitely think you should! Especially as you’ve only just started to doubt your choice.

If you do end up really hating it, I don’t think you’ll be afraid to drop it - the thought of doing something you hate would hopefully help you make that decision. If it is too late to start another course, it’s not the end of the world (trust me I thought this when I dropped out) but it all works out
Reply 7
Original post by MusicGamer
In terms of careers and jobs, my university - and I imagine most universities - offer a lot of support to helping you figure out what it is you want to do when you graduate, there’s so much time to figure it out.

I understand giving it a go - chances are that once you get started and joining in with the freshers activities, the nerves will go away. I definitely think you should! Especially as you’ve only just started to doubt your choice.

If you do end up really hating it, I don’t think you’ll be afraid to drop it - the thought of doing something you hate would hopefully help you make that decision. If it is too late to start another course, it’s not the end of the world (trust me I thought this when I dropped out) but it all works out

Are you aware of any deadlines in terms of making decisions about whether I would want to switch course or not?
Are you aware of any deadlines in terms of making decisions about whether I would want to switch course or not?

I’m not really sure. But i would guess kind of around October would be when some unis may consider it too late to catch up. Again, I’m just guessing tho
It also depends on if a course has any spaces as well.

Hey there! :smile:

I started university in 2016 and I can tell you that from experience it is perfectly normal to be feeling anxious in the weeks following results day to the start of university. Moving to university is a big step and can be incredibly overwhelming for a lot of people, you aren't alone in feeling this way.

I would suggest giving your chosen course a couple of weeks and see what it is like and what the course content and teaching environment is like before making any decisions, also maybe speak to your module conveners about your concerns once you have started, they will be able to advise you and discuss your situation in more depth.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if I can offer any more advice! :smile:

Eliza
Original post by Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Hey there! :smile:

I started university in 2016 and I can tell you that from experience it is perfectly normal to be feeling anxious in the weeks following results day to the start of university. Moving to university is a big step and can be incredibly overwhelming for a lot of people, you aren't alone in feeling this way.

I would suggest giving your chosen course a couple of weeks and see what it is like and what the course content and teaching environment is like before making any decisions, also maybe speak to your module conveners about your concerns once you have started, they will be able to advise you and discuss your situation in more depth.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if I can offer any more advice! :smile:

Eliza

Hi, thanks for your reply I just wanted to know if you knew of any deadlines for decisions? E.g, when should I ideally decide by (is completing the first term okay or too late)? Or when should I start reapplying if I do ultimately change my mind? Also, if I was to reapply would I tell my university and is it common for universities to allow students to start another course at the same uni from year 1 and is this easier than applying to a different uni? Would I also have to make an entirely new personal statement and any advice on doing so as I'm unlikely to have work experience for the new course before application deadlines?

Sorry if these are too many questions I just feel like I have to get things off my chest.

Thanks
Hi, thanks for your reply I just wanted to know if you knew of any deadlines for decisions? E.g, when should I ideally decide by (is completing the first term okay or too late)? Or when should I start reapplying if I do ultimately change my mind? Also, if I was to reapply would I tell my university and is it common for universities to allow students to start another course at the same uni from year 1 and is this easier than applying to a different uni? Would I also have to make an entirely new personal statement and any advice on doing so as I'm unlikely to have work experience for the new course before application deadlines?

Sorry if these are too many questions I just feel like I have to get things off my chest.

Thanks

Hi again :smile:

I would say that it is best to have made a decision on your course from about a month of starting, however if you have completed your first term and still feel as though you want to change then this is okay also.

To reapply I would definitely recommend discussing this with your department and personal tutor. It would be more likely that you would be reapplying for the following academic year however if you decide to change your course very early on you may be able to switch to a different course in the same academic year. Please check this with your university though as all universities have different policies. I would definitely recommend arranging a meeting with either your personal tutor or head of department though to discuss your situation in more detail.

Hope this helps,

Eliza

Quick Reply

Latest