The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Undergraduates 2019

Hey is there anyone going to the university of Southampton this september (2019) if so what course are you going to study?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah- studying Electronic Engineering with Computer Systems.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Hey guys - I'm a second year at the university of Southampton.

If you have any questions about what to expect etc, then let me know :biggrin:
Original post by LeonWBA
Yeah- studying Electronic Engineering with Computer System

Wow that sounds interesting. Are you going to be moving to southampton?
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Hey guys - I'm a second year at the university of Southampton.

If you have any questions about what to expect etc, then let me know :biggrin:

Hey
How did you find your first year at uni? is the university of Southampton diverse? what was freshers like? Did you live in halls?

Thank you x
Reply 5
Original post by alltheusernames
Wow that sounds interesting. Are you going to be moving to southampton?

Yeah- I'm gonna be in Connaught.
Original post by LeonWBA
Yeah- I'm gonna be in Connaught

Nice. I don't know where i am going to be yet?
Reply 7
Yeah you should get that sorted soon- you'll want to email [email protected] to clarify.
Original post by alltheusernames
Hey
How did you find your first year at uni? is the university of Southampton diverse? what was freshers like? Did you live in halls?

Thank you x

Hi!

•

I really enjoyed my first year at uni - my degree has few contact hours so I joined so many societies - three of which I am on the committee for this year :biggrin: It's one the best things I did, so highly recommend joining societies and sports at bunfight/fresher's fayre.

•

I'd say there's quite a bit of diversity in the uni; they have strong links to pre-sessional summer schools so there are many different nationalities and religions represented in its students.

•

I missed quite a bit of fresher's last year, as my degree had mandatory field trips (which isn't the norm). Typically it's a week of getting to know the campus, being introduced to your personal tutor, and getting freebies.

•

I was in halls last year, in Hartley Grove/Chamberlain, and will be going back into halls again this year :biggrin:

Original post by LeonWBA
Yeah you should get that sorted soon- you'll want to email [email protected] to clarify.

Yeah I will do thanks hopefully gets sorted soon.
Hi!

•

I really enjoyed my first year at uni - my degree has few contact hours so I joined so many societies - three of which I am on the committee for this year :biggrin: It's one the best things I did, so highly recommend joining societies and sports at bunfight/fresher's fayre.

•

I'd say there's quite a bit of diversity in the uni; they have strong links to pre-sessional summer schools so there are many different nationalities and religions represented in its students.

•

I missed quite a bit of fresher's last year, as my degree had mandatory field trips (which isn't the norm). Typically it's a week of getting to know the campus, being introduced to your personal tutor, and getting freebies.

•

I was in halls last year, in Hartley Grove/Chamberlain, and will be going back into halls again this year :biggrin:

Wow sounds like you had a really good year!
What was it like living in halls. Did you make friends easily. For someone who doesn't drink a lot do you get pressured to go out?
Original post by Anonymous
Wow sounds like you had a really good year!
What was it like living in halls. Did you make friends easily. For someone who doesn't drink a lot do you get pressured to go out?

I don't drink at all, and for me it was a mix; some societies do have very drinking-heavy socials, and I occasionally did feel left out when I didn't fancy going clubbing (I'm not a fan; I'd prefer a night in with a pizza delivery tbh) but I made up for it. There are many different opportunities for you to have fun both with friends and coursemates as well as societies that don't involve drinking. The Edge (the entertainment magazine) runs show marathons - this fresher's week they're showing Friday Night Dinners; Fandom soc has a weekly film night on Thursdays. And you don't have to drink on nights out. I didn't, and sometimes you're the one having the most fun :biggrin:

The easiest way I made friends was joining the group chats and going to society events. It's super easy to make friends, and it can happen throughout the year; I joined some societies after Christmas and still made friends right up to the summer holidays!

Halls is alright, I'd say. The experience will depend on who you get in your flat. My flatmates last year were super quiet (and half were medical students so I never saw them) so it was sort of lonely. But introducing yourself rather than hiding away on the move in weekend is probably the best thing you can do (and maybe having a tub of sweets/chocolate to share will also help).
does anyone know if there is a way of finding our flat/room number for the halls we stay in??
Original post by imran234
does anyone know if there is a way of finding our flat/room number for the halls we stay in??

I don't think so, until we get there. A higher year student might be able to answer for sure though.

Unfortunately, you only find this out on the day that you move in.
Original post by LeonWBA
I don't think so, until we get there. A higher year student might be able to answer for sure though.

Unfortunately, you only find this out on the day that you move in.

damn, how are we supposed to complete the enrolment form when it asks our term-time address
damn, how are we supposed to complete the enrolment form when it asks our term-time address

There should be an option which says about living in halls somewhere, and then click the building/site you're in (e.g. Hartley Grove or Romero Halls)
I don't drink at all, and for me it was a mix; some societies do have very drinking-heavy socials, and I occasionally did feel left out when I didn't fancy going clubbing (I'm not a fan; I'd prefer a night in with a pizza delivery tbh) but I made up for it. There are many different opportunities for you to have fun both with friends and coursemates as well as societies that don't involve drinking. The Edge (the entertainment magazine) runs show marathons - this fresher's week they're showing Friday Night Dinners; Fandom soc has a weekly film night on Thursdays. And you don't have to drink on nights out. I didn't, and sometimes you're the one having the most fun :biggrin:

The easiest way I made friends was joining the group chats and going to society events. It's super easy to make friends, and it can happen throughout the year; I joined some societies after Christmas and still made friends right up to the summer holidays!

Halls is alright, I'd say. The experience will depend on who you get in your flat. My flatmates last year were super quiet (and half were medical students so I never saw them) so it was sort of lonely. But introducing yourself rather than hiding away on the move in weekend is probably the best thing you can do (and maybe having a tub of sweets/chocolate to share will also help).

Same here, I am exactly like you I hate clubbing much prefer nights in.
Thanks for the advice, really helped.
Original post by Anonymous
Same here, I am exactly like you I hate clubbing much prefer nights in.
Thanks for the advice, really helped.

You're welcome! :biggrin:

You leave that part blank, and it fills in automatically afterwards if you're in halls. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest