The Student Room Group

Jess Phillips the worst MP there has ever been?

[video="youtube;qEQn6mAEUZw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQn6mAEUZw[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
No.
No.
I thought that was a damn fine speech tbh. Jess should be on the front bench, no question.
Oswald Mosley?

No doubt nulli will come along and give several examples from 1772.
Reply 6
I mean she's not the most intelligent MP and a bit derogatory to white working class individuals but at least she isnt as bad as Diane Abbott.
Original post by jc933
I mean she's not the most intelligent MP and a bit derogatory to white working class individuals but at least she isnt as bad as Diane Abbott.

Evidence?
Original post by jc933

I wouldn't trust him with anyfink.
Diane Abbot can actually speak properly and hold an argument. This woman is so unintelligent and overly emotional she is a disgrace to her office and demeans the house of commons with her pathetic ranting.
No.

Eric Joyce, Fiona Onasanya, Jared O’Mara and Cristopher Davies are all recent examples of worse MPs.
Reply 11
Original post by Snufkin
Evidence?

In the video, her reference to not understanding parliamentary procedures and gives no indication that she will intend to learn them. General patterns of speech. She is obviously educated to a degree level at Leeds so is more intelligent than large sections of the public but of MP's there are many more intellectual.
Also the whole fake working-class thing saying she doesn't understand parliamentary procedure etc is so cringe.
Reply 13
Original post by karl pilkington
Diane Abbot can actually speak properly and hold an argument. This woman is so unintelligent and overly emotional she is a disgrace to her office and demeans the house of commons with her pathetic ranting.

Perhaps she can hold an argument although the points she makes are often nonsensical. She has a loose relationship with basic mathematics and although I think this word is used too frequently for cases that are not. She has made racist remarks.
Original post by Snufkin
I thought that was a damn fine speech tbh. Jess should be on the front bench, no question.

cannot tell if serious
Reply 15
Delightful hyperbole
Original post by karl pilkington
Also the whole fake working-class thing saying she doesn't understand parliamentary procedure etc is so cringe.

Perhaps rewatch. She said she might not follow procedure because she's upset.

Similar to how BoJo, in the middle of an excited passage of a speech, named the Leader of the Opposition. I don't suppose he did this because he was trying to pretend he was from a council estate in Newcastle.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jc933
In the video, her reference to not understanding parliamentary procedures and gives no indication that she will intend to learn them. General patterns of speech. She is obviously educated to a degree level at Leeds so is more intelligent than large sections of the public but of MP's there are many more intellectual.

Most people don't understand the minutiae of parliamentary procedure, it's an extremely archaic system. That does not mean they're unintelligent.

Posh boys who grow up reading Hansard are not more intelligent than Jess or anyone else.
Original post by Snufkin
Evidence?

I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to say she isn’t the most intelligent MP, that’s not to say she isn’t intelligent. She is.
1. She speaks from the heart and I like that. Her's and Nicholas Soames' were my favourite speeches from yesterday (Swinson in third).

2. Unless someone's going to define a measure of intelligence I'd suggest that argument is baseless.

3. May I remind you that Chris Grayling still occupies a seat?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest