The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science Degree- limited opportunities

In September I will be starting a foundation year at MMU and will hopefully progress on to biomedical science. However after doing a little research, I realise doing a biomedical science degree is the more complicated route to becoming a biomedical scientist and NHS placements are very limited.

So one option would be to transfer onto a healthcare science (life sciences) course after my foundation year. Are people who do foundation years able to transfer to a health care science course (life sciences)? How competitive are health care science courses? I assume that would affect the likelihood of me being able to transfer and my alevel grades only leave me at a disadvantage in that respect.

My other option would be to do the biomedical science course after my foundation year as I had planned. How likely is it that I will be able to get a NHS placement? And what could I do to increase the chances of getting one?
For how likely your foundation year would be accepted for entry onto a healthcare sciences course, you will need to contact the university(/ies) in question.

@RegisteredBMS might be able to advise on placement availability?
Reply 2
If you get good grades in a biomedical science degree that is accredited, then you should be fine. I know lots of people who got placements to become a biomedical scientist. Ur main challenge is that you are doing it at MMU, not the subject itself.
Reply 3
Original post by jc933
If you get good grades in a biomedical science degree that is accredited, then you should be fine. I know lots of people who got placements to become a biomedical scientist. Ur main challenge is that you are doing it at MMU, not the subject itself.

Oh. Why is the main challenge doing it at MMU?
Reply 4
Original post by Rawr789
Oh. Why is the main challenge doing it at MMU?

Its just you are competing for placements with others at better universities. However as long as biomed at MMU is accredited and you get a solid 1st and interview well. Then should be no problem.
Reply 5
Original post by jc933
Its just you are competing for placements with others at better universities. However as long as biomed at MMU is accredited and you get a solid 1st and interview well. Then should be no problem.

I see what you mean. Have you done a biomedical science degree?
MMU does not have a good reputation academically. If you are able to go to a more respected university then I would.
Reply 7
Original post by markova21
MMU does not have a good reputation academically. If you are able to go to a more respected university then I would.

I didn't really have a chance to go to the open days or anything for biomedical science so I wasn't really aware of its reputation. Whats so bad about it? Are the facilities bad? Or is it the quality of teaching/lectures?
Reply 8
Original post by Rawr789
I see what you mean. Have you done a biomedical science degree?

Yes I have, although I am not a biomedical scientist so Im relying on the opinion of my mates. What are your a level grades?
Reply 9
Original post by jc933
Yes I have, although I am not a biomedical scientist so Im relying on the opinion of my mates. What are your a level grades?

BDD which isn't great tbh 😂 and I didn't do any science subjects, which is why I'm doing a foundation year. How did you find the course? Did you find it hard? And what did you go on to do after you graduated?
Reply 10
Original post by Rawr789
BDD which isn't great tbh 😂 and I didn't do any science subjects, which is why I'm doing a foundation year. How did you find the course? Did you find it hard? And what did you go on to do after you graduated?

I found it difficult but not too bad as I had science at a levels. I think not doing science you need to expect to do more work. Im currently working in a cancer research lab doing a PhD
I got BDD too and going MMU but on business management without foundation. I’m planning to change unis after first year coz MMU really is looked down on tbh
Reply 12
Original post by OR321
I got BDD too and going MMU but on business management without foundation. I’m planning to change unis after first year coz MMU really is looked down on tbh

I didn't realise it was looked down on so much tbh I was originally going to do psychology and I was so set on going there after going on an open day. Maybe we'll bump into each other lol are you staying in the halls?
Original post by Rawr789
I didn't realise it was looked down on so much tbh I was originally going to do psychology and I was so set on going there after going on an open day. Maybe we'll bump into each other lol are you staying in the halls?

Unfortunately not, I live pretty close so I’m staying home.
Reply 14
Original post by OR321
Unfortunately not, I live pretty close so I’m staying home.

Aww that's a shame, I live quite close myself but thought it'd be fun living by myself 😅. How are you feeling about starting your course and freshers week?
Original post by Rawr789
Aww that's a shame, I live quite close myself but thought it'd be fun living by myself 😅. How are you feeling about starting your course and freshers week?

Okayyy. I don’t know anyone else going tbh😂 plus I’m not much of a clubber so I prolly won’t go to all the events. Wbu? Have you seen your timetable?
Reply 16
Original post by OR321
Okayyy. I don’t know anyone else going tbh😂 plus I’m not much of a clubber so I prolly won’t go to all the events. Wbu? Have you seen your timetable?

Yeah I don't know anyone going to MMU so it's not looking good 😅 and I'm quite shy so I'm probably not gonna go clubbing. I'm gonna have to push myself to try and go to events tbh so hopefully it won't be too bad. My timetable keeps changing so I guess they haven't finalised it yet 🤷🏽 have you seen your time table?
Original post by Rawr789
Yeah I don't know anyone going to MMU so it's not looking good 😅 and I'm quite shy so I'm probably not gonna go clubbing. I'm gonna have to push myself to try and go to events tbh so hopefully it won't be too bad. My timetable keeps changing so I guess they haven't finalised it yet 🤷🏽 have you seen your time table?

Yep. Right now it’s just two crammed days for the week but my others are free. So it seems okay for now.
It's a late response, apologies, but better late than never!

I would absolutely advise talking to both careers and the relevant Admission's Tutor at MMU. I know two graduates from their Healthcare Science course (I work with them as fellow Biomedical Scientists).

If you want to be a BMS in the NHS, that is absolutely the best route to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending