The Student Room Group

Going to doctors about acne

I am 17 and ever since I’ve been 14 I keep getting recurring spots. I get them mainly on my chin, cheeks and occasionally forehead. I have tried so many different skincare products from cheap (Boots on brand) to expensive (Clinique). None of them seem to help. I’ve tried eating healthy and drinking a lot of water but again it’s done nothing. I don’t have hundreds of spots but I definitely have quite a few, and sometimes they can be very irritating and sore. They definitely knock my confidence too. I’m not sure if I should go and see my doctor but I feel like if I do they’ll just tell me to continue eating healthy, drink water etc. I also have very dry skin, if that changes anything. Any advice on what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

I'd go to a GP regardless, they'll be able to refer you to a dermatologist. The creams they prescribe are usually a lot better, and it's best to check if it's caused by an underlying health condition.
Original post by Anonymous
I am 17 and ever since I’ve been 14 I keep getting recurring spots. I get them mainly on my chin, cheeks and occasionally forehead. I have tried so many different skincare products from cheap (Boots on brand) to expensive (Clinique). None of them seem to help. I’ve tried eating healthy and drinking a lot of water but again it’s done nothing. I don’t have hundreds of spots but I definitely have quite a few, and sometimes they can be very irritating and sore. They definitely knock my confidence too. I’m not sure if I should go and see my doctor but I feel like if I do they’ll just tell me to continue eating healthy, drink water etc. I also have very dry skin, if that changes anything. Any advice on what I should do?

omggg, yesterday i went to my GP to discuss the same problem, she gave me a gel called 'duac gel' (the blue one) and i applied it last night and noticed vivid changed in the reduction of acne. Ask ur GP or a pharmacist for this Gel, if not then I'm sure there's many available online but make sure the website u get it from is legit because some can damage ur skin and make conditions even worse.

They won't tell you just to continue as is if it's bothering you. In fact one of the first things my GP told me was that acne being to do with an 'unhealthy' diet is a myth (other than allergies of course) so they'll definitely be able to help. If whatever your GP prescribes you doesn't work then they'll escalate it to a dermatologist and refer you
Reply 4
I would say if your worried about it and it is really bothering you then definitely go to the GP. They might be able to - if it is appropriate for your skin - give you a stronger prescription topical ointment or medication that you have not yet tried. I had acne from the age of about 13 till 19 and visited the GP when i was about 17 for it and the doctor was really helpful, i tried some medication but eventually stopped taking it. My acne has eventually cleared up on its own. I know how difficult it can be and how self conscious it always made me feel, but i think going to the GP to talk about it is definitely a good thing to do.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone. I’ve booked an appointment with my GP.
Thanks everyone. I’ve booked an appointment with my GP.

That's good. My daughter had acne as a teenager and she got prescribed mild antibiotics in the end by the doctor - that did the trick whereas all those creams from Boots etc had failed to work on her too
Original post by yurgirln33s
omggg, yesterday i went to my GP to discuss the same problem, she gave me a gel called 'duac gel' (the blue one) and i applied it last night and noticed vivid changed in the reduction of acne. Ask ur GP or a pharmacist for this Gel, if not then I'm sure there's many available online but make sure the website u get it from is legit because some can damage ur skin and make conditions even worse.

Yessss I used DUAC for a month it cleared up absolutely everything, but now it’s resistant and I have no idea what to do :frown:
Original post by harrysbar
That's good. My daughter had acne as a teenager and she got prescribed mild antibiotics in the end by the doctor - that did the trick whereas all those creams from Boots etc had failed to work on her too

Were they oral antibiotics and which one was it please?
Original post by pinkbluex
Were they oral antibiotics and which one was it please?

Sorry I can't remember the name as it was a few years ago now but yes they were oral antibiotics and took a few weeks to start working
I went to the doctors and they gave me this gel but it’s burning my skin! I have big red marks where I have used it. Is this normal or should I go back to my GP?
I went to the doctors and they gave me this gel but it’s burning my skin! I have big red marks where I have used it. Is this normal or should I go back to my GP?

I would make an appointment for a weeks time and tell the doctor if it's not working
Sorry I can't remember the name as it was a few years ago now but yes they were oral antibiotics and took a few weeks to start working

thank you! does it still work or did resistance kick in?
Original post by pinkbluex
thank you! does it still work or did resistance kick in?

They are low dose antibiotics that you take for several months. She took them for about 9 months, the acne cleared up and she decided to try stop taking them but the acne was back within 3 months. She took them again for another few months then took a break again. The second time the acne didn't come back, maybe because she was older and less hormonal, I don't know.
You can be asked to be referred to a dermatologist who will then provide treatment which is usually as @harrysbar said antibiotics They did the trick for my brother however they do have side effects.
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
You can be asked to be referred to a dermatologist who will then provide treatment which is usually as @harrysbar said antibiotics They did the trick for my brother however they do have side effects.

My daughter was lucky and didn't suffer any apparent side effects. But yes, you should only take antibiotics if you are desperate because it is not exactly advisable to be taking antibiotics every day because they can have side effects
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
I felt the same... I never went to the drs. I was exactly the same as you. They went away when I was 21/22 on their own, it was hormones I’m guessing! You could always go to the drs. I am only aware of acutane but I felt the negatives outweighed the positives... affecting your liver function etc so make sure if they offer you something that you research it first. You are only 17 and at that age a lot of people do still have spots because of their hormones. They could just go away on their own like mine did. I went from having constant spots, really affected my confidence and now I get the odd small one once a month.
(edited 4 years ago)
My daughter was lucky and didn't have any apparent ones. But yes, you should only take antibiotics if you are desperate because it is not exactly advisable to be taking antibiotics every day because they can have side effects

That’s good then. They didn’t really settle well for my brother he had nose bleeds often and continuous headaches. But yes I agree only take them if you are desperate and nothing else is working for you.
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
That’s good then. They didn’t really settle well for my brother he had nose bleeds often and continuous headaches. But yes I agree only take them if you are desperate and nothing else is working for you.

If that had happened to my daughter she would have stopped the antibiotics because in all honesty, her spots weren't that bad, she just thought they were and felt very self conscious. It seems crazy to put up with continuous headaches over bad skin which is probably only temporary. But every case is different which is why a doctor should be the person to make that judgement call.
If that had happened to my daughter she would have stopped the antibiotics because in all honesty, her spots weren't that bad, she just thought they were and felt very self conscious. It seems crazy to put up with continuous headaches over bad skin which is probably only temporary. But every case is different which is why a doctor should be the person to make that judgement call.

He had then stopped taking them as advised by the dermatologist and then given different set of antibiotics which worked better he hadn’t had the side effects like previously and they cleared his skin. Indeed the dermatologist did say that this was expected.

Quick Reply