The Student Room Group

Degree we go again: a distance learning blog

So you might be wondering the context of my title so for my first post here's a bit of life/ education history (it's a bit long so strap in);

I was diagnosed as dyspraxic at 10 and got next to no support apart from extra time which I was too ashamed to use but I got
12 GCSEs A*-C and one D in English lit
So I decided i wanted to do nursing or biochem after GCSEs so thought , let's do three sciences and business for A level;
and well after years of coping without much help
My as levels were AEEE so I dropped physics and then got put into all the resits, my grandma also died in the summer between year 11 and 12, grandad got diagnosed with lung cancer between year 12 and 13 so everything got a bit much.

I applied to nursing in year 13 and unsurprisingly got 1 offer, got BEE so missed my offer and got into an 2 year Fdsc which would get me into nursing, I got a merit (66% in second year of a degree basically after getting diagnosed with dyslexia in my first year too and finally getting all the support I could need and not being ashamed anymore).

I then did 6 months of nursing and realised after all that it wasn't a career for me so there I was 21 dropped out and didn't know what to do so got a job in pharmacy as at the time there was no funding left I could have and I couldn't afford part time fees.

So to now just over 3 years later I quit my pharmacy job after being unhappy for a while and got a better paying office job I love.

I ve gotten a part time loan for tution from sfe as I m doing a stem degree in health science with open uni and although I could have gotten a credit transfer it wouldn't have been much for what I want to do so decided to have a fresh start.

So I m doing a 60 credit module sdk100 health and science to start with as I work 40 hours a week and plan to start studying properly tommorow as the module site opens mostly early before an October start.

Gosh that's a long one, any questions or if you want adding to a tag list then let me know :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck! :woo:
Original post by emilynxlan
Best of luck! :woo:

Thank you :smile:
Always up for this.
Ain't no blog like a claireestelle blog. :yeah:
All the best with this! Can’t wait to read your updates and follow your progress :h:
Original post by 04MR17
Always up for this.
Ain't no blog like a claireestelle blog. :yeah:

Original post by brainzistheword
All the best with this! Can’t wait to read your updates and follow your progress :h:

thank you both :smile: Planning to my first update to be this evening then weekly on sundays but will see how it goes.
update 1 :smile:

I’ve spoilered todays update in two sections because it’s a very long one, you’ll learn through this GYG writing concisely is one of my weakness from my learning difficulties.
Bit of an intro:

Spoiler

Onto what I actually did today:

Spoiler

Good luck!
Original post by MidnightSymphony
Good luck!

thank you :smile:
Subbing! Good luck Claire, the OU is great!
update 2:
So this week has gone very well, i've covered much more than i expected since sunday so thought i'd update you all today and then on sunday i ll update with how the weekend's gone.

So this week I've finished all of week 1 and gotten through one section of week 2, i've covered lots on different pathogens such as bacteria and parasites and topics like malaria surprisingly some of which I've gone through after eating dinner and been fine. I managed to do half an hour a day at least either before or after work, it does feel that I can get through a study week on the planner is less than 16 hours but it could get harder. I've managed to avoid distractions mostly except a couple of times someone wanted to remind me I need a break. As you can see I have a pretty small desk but i think i've convinced her to sit and still have space to type.

69547997_366583187355388_746259660125765632_n.jpg
one thing i'm getting used to is making notes from the material as I barely ever did notes from anything that wasn't lecture slides in my previous study.

I've got viruses and prions left to cover which I will get through this weekend and then onto some epidemiology and i m not sure if i ll get much more done than that, but will see how it goes. Hoping I can get some more of the TMA done too.

I figured out the other day, that if I can stay at least a month ahead and they upload the rest of the TMAs early apart from if activities and the actual end of module assessment if i don't take the holidays and assignment weeks I could manage to be done with this module by the end of march.
I have until just after christmas to decide if I want also do DE100 which is a psychology module which starts in january which if i keep this up i think i could do.
Reply 11
You managed to make a cat sit! Tell me your secret :eek3:

Glad to hear you feel on top and organised with how things have gone! :woo:
Original post by 8472
You managed to make a cat sit! Tell me your secret :eek3:

Glad to hear you feel on top and organised with how things have gone! :woo:

honestly i just keep stroking her for a bit and she realises that i m not moving from where i am so sits down.
Well done, sounds like you're doing incredibly so far :biggrin: Also impressed about getting your cat to sit still :eek:

Keep going :woo:

:hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well done, sounds like you're doing incredibly so far :biggrin: Also impressed about getting your cat to sit still :eek:

Keep going :woo:

:hugs:

thank you :smile: she'll never sit on my lap but she'll sit on my back when i m in bed or nicely next to me on furniture.
Original post by claireestelle
thank you :smile: she'll never sit on my lap but she'll sit on my back when i m in bed or nicely next to me on furniture.

Awwww :gah: :h: :moon:

Btw, everytime I see your thread title, I start singing 'Mamma Mia!' by ABBA :teehee:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Awwww :gah: :h: :moon:

Btw, everytime I see your thread title, I start singing 'Mamma Mia!' by ABBA :teehee:

that's how i got the title idea:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
that's how i got the title idea:smile:

:adore:
Subbing for this :smile: good luck!
In to watch :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending