The Student Room Group

UKCAT score help!!!!

I didn’t do so well on the ukcat as I hoped. My scores were:
VR: 470 :/
DM: 650
QR: 670
AR: 620
And I got a band 2 for SJT.
My VR score shocked me to my core as it always was my best score when studying on medify and other resources (honestly don’t know what happened)
Is there still hope and if there is what universities should I apply to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kmwillliams692
I didn’t do so well on the ukcat as I hoped. My scores were:
VR: 470 :/
DM: 650
QR: 670
AR: 620
And I got a band 2 for SJT.
My VR score shocked me to my core as it always was my best score when studying on medify and other resources (honestly don’t know what happened)
Is there still hope and if there is what universities should I apply to?

I know your score is disheartening, but it's actually a pretty average score over all (602)

so I think it really depends on whether you have great GCSE and A level results to make up for the UCAT score?

For example, Aberdeen uni made an offer to an applicant after interview with a score of 2380 as they had the UCAS points to make up the lower side score.

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Jassam17
I know your score is disheartening, but it's actually a pretty average score over all (602)

so I think it really depends on whether you have great GCSE and A level results to make up for the UCAT score?

For example, Aberdeen uni made an offer to an applicant after interview with a score of 2380 as they had the UCAS points to make up the lower side score.

hope this helps :smile:

It really does thank you!!!!
I wasn’t kinda hoping to apply to Edinburgh but I guess that’s not going to happen now :/
Do you think that applying to Bristol would be a good idea?
I wasn’t kinda hoping to apply to Edinburgh but I guess that’s not going to happen now :/

hey, from what I can see on their website it would be a good option.

the use 15% GCSE, 15% A-Levels, 50% personal statement & 20% UCAT.

also here is a link to a forum you might find more helpful...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970&page=62

Thank you! You’re amazing :smile:

Bristol is now UCAT heavy and cutoff last year was around 690
Oh shoot, thanks for letting me know, what other universities do you recommend?
Maybe Plymouth. Your GCSEs would help. Maybe also post in the mega thread
Reply 9
I 603 isn't a bad score, it's pretty much average! But "average" against a bunch of other medicine applicants, who are very smart! Good job! do research and find schools that do not put a lot of emphasis on the UCAT. With a 603 you can really apply to majority of universities! Universities like Kings College, Newcastle, Edinburgh are definitely going to be a waste of time applying to as they would automatically reject you based on their UCAT thresholds. But don't worry! There are plenty of options with that score!

I took the UCAT last year, and verbal reasoning was my lowest as well. And if you look at the statistics, Verbal Reasoning always has the lowest numerical scores.

Good Luck!
I got the same score as you last year and I got an interview at York, Liverpool, Cardiff and keele.
Reply 11
Original post by Casievans
I got the same score as you last year and I got an interview at York, Liverpool, Cardiff and keele.

omg wow! Which interviews did you go to, and which uni or unis did u get an offer for, and which one did u end up going to? Sry for all the questions lol
Original post by K_Lav
I 603 isn't a bad score, it's pretty much average! But "average" against a bunch of other medicine applicants, who are very smart! Good job! do research and find schools that do not put a lot of emphasis on the UCAT. With a 603 you can really apply to majority of universities! Universities like Kings College, Newcastle, Edinburgh are definitely going to be a waste of time applying to as they would automatically reject you based on their UCAT thresholds. But don't worry! There are plenty of options with that score!

I took the UCAT last year, and verbal reasoning was my lowest as well. And if you look at the statistics, Verbal Reasoning always has the lowest numerical scores.

Good Luck!

wow thank you so much! what universities did you apply for and did you get any interviews. I'm still trying to decide what universities would be a good option in the application process :/

Thank you so much for responding! Its really nice to know that it's not the end for me lol!
Original post by DK :)
omg wow! Which interviews did you go to, and which uni or unis did u get an offer for, and which one did u end up going to? Sry for all the questions lol

No problem, I got an offer at York and Cardiff, I didn’t attend the keele interview and got rejected from Liverpool. Let me know if I can give you advice with anything!
Thank you so much for responding! Its really nice to know that it's not the end for me lol!

No problem :smile:
No problem, I got an offer at York and Cardiff, I didn’t attend the keele interview and got rejected from Liverpool. Let me know if I can give you advice with anything!

How did you prepare for interviews and then deliver good answers on the day? What sort of info do you think you would need to research in preparation for interview like base knowledge? Which uni did you firm and I take it you’ll be going there so how excited are you?
Original post by DGeorge13
How did you prepare for interviews and then deliver good answers on the day? What sort of info do you think you would need to research in preparation for interview like base knowledge? Which uni did you firm and I take it you’ll be going there so how excited are you?

Before my Interviews I bought the ISC medical school interview book and practiced some questions with my teachers. I also got the ‘get into medical school 2019 entry’ guide and read the BMJ/ medics news articles.
I think what they really like though is if you can make the interview specific to the medical school, I.e in York I linked one of the questions to the medical school’s ‘Lego based therapy’ that they have for kids in palliative care or at Cardiff the support network that they have set up for welsh doctors.
Make sure you can name all of your strengths and weaknesses with lots of examples for all of them.
I firmed Cardiff ( and my insurance choice was a biomedical sciences degree)- yes I’m very excited😅
Good luck with your application!
Before my Interviews I bought the ISC medical school interview book and practiced some questions with my teachers. I also got the ‘get into medical school 2019 entry’ guide and read the BMJ/ medics news articles.
I think what they really like though is if you can make the interview specific to the medical school, I.e in York I linked one of the questions to the medical school’s ‘Lego based therapy’ that they have for kids in palliative care or at Cardiff the support network that they have set up for welsh doctors.
Make sure you can name all of your strengths and weaknesses with lots of examples for all of them.
I firmed Cardiff ( and my insurance choice was a biomedical sciences degree)- yes I’m very excited😅
Good luck with your application!

Thanks. Do you have any advice for balancing prep with year 13
Original post by DGeorge13
Thanks. Do you have any advice for balancing prep with year 13

I think I just used loads of timetables so I knew exactly what I was studying and when. I also asked my teachers If I could do my practice exams later than everyone else to focus on interviews which they were happy to let me do.
I also would get up really early in the morning (6) so that I could get some work out of the way and not have to study after coming home from school.
Not sure if this helps, but let me know if there’s anything else I can try and help you with!

Latest

Trending

Trending